NV10 by Sept!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NV10 by Sept!!!

Anyone read the story over at planetriva? According to the article the NV10 might be ready by September! 32mb and 64mb versions! Wouldnt that just suck, the NV10 is released before I even get my G400Max! (not that I would be surprised!)

------------------
    "potentially the most totally out-to-lunch freaky head trip since Einstein postulated that space and time were, like, curved and shit."

Unlikely, given nVidia's past history of release dates I think September will be when they sample the chip to OEM's. Add another couple of months to that for retail markets.
    Sample does not mean sell either. It would also be marketing suicide for nVidia to release the TNT2 then immediately follow it up with something far more advanced.

Comment

if Nvidia is introducing a .18um part, there is no way it will be out before the end of this year.

Comment

Reminds me of last year when every one
        thought the TNT2 was going to be out in
        the fall and it didn't come out until
        early this year a whole 6 months or so
        later. So I wouldn't expect NV10 probably
        TNT3 to be out fall of next year thats like 10 months.

Comment

It will still be 3 days earlier than something called MAX, am I hearing something?
          Must be flying saucerers.

Comment

Even if they COULD make that NV10 come out in september they WOULD not do it because
            that would be really stupid ! They haven´t even sold enough tnt2 cards !
            I think that is marketing

Comment

They haven't announced a chip yet, let alone a name for it. They announce specs with 3dfx in August, though. What I've heard is TSMC can't make a .18 micron part this year... and they switch to .22 4th quarter. Any confirmation of this?

"from riva extreme:
              NV10 News - 7.22.1999 - 12:51pm PDT nVIDIA

The latest Computer Gaming World just landed in my mailbox (I registered a game a while back and got a free subscription somehow). I was stoked that last month Riva Extreme got mentioned in print in a list of Nvidia fan sites. This month the cover boasts a little sash across the corner claiming "SCOOP: nVidia's Top Secret 3D Chip Revealed". And I'm like, ok surprise a Riva webmaster here will ya? Either A) this is a chintzy "Preview" like I've seen around the web or, B) being in the print news biz, they actually get stuff before it hits the web. Well, we're talking B today!

NV10 Details:

Transformation & Lighting acceleration with DirectX 7.0 and OpenGL

estimated 15-25 million triangles/second

"350 MHz RAMDAC"

"about twice the fill rate of current generation 3D chips"

"HDTV support"

"motion compensation for full 1080i/480p HDTV displays"
              x-y video scaling acceleration

"colorspace conversion"
              AGP 4X

32 meg and 64 meg versions

CGW went on to mention that they should be getting a reference board soon to test for the next month's issue, so hey, they probably have one by now. I'd even expect a press release from Nvidia in the next month, since 3Dfx is spilling their own beans on their new chips August 2. Stick with Riva Extreme for the latest info on the NV10.

Honestly, the latest CGW is pretty decent as far as content. Over the past several months I can tell that they're really working hard over there to put out a high quality mag.

POSTED BY: DWIGHT

"colorspace conversion"
              AGP 4X

32 meg and 64 meg versions

"

Comment

casket: TMSC does not have the capacity to mass produce .18µ chips. Ramp up would take a good 6 months probably.

The only 3d maker who could bring out a .18µ this year is S3. UMC has been sampling for them for awhile now.

Comment

Oh yeah, and Nvidia would never release a chip with are larger dye size than previously promised.

Comment

hehe nvida, nvida release a chip with specs other than what they originaly claimed ? naw they wouln't do that would they?

------------------
                    i don't know what im going to bitch about now that the avp patch is out.
                    p2 350 at 450, 196 meg pc100,10gig hard drive,5xdvd cl drive, xitel p. storm sound, 32meg g400 dualhead, acs altec lansing speakers+yamaha rear, ch throttle, ch force fx, ch pedeals, hp laserjet 4, epson 400 color, ctx vl950 main mag dx17t secondary monitors ? what else can i brag about ? oh two other systems k6-2 350 and k6 200.

Comment

Howdy,

I smell some strange bed partners here.

How can they claim true 4x transactions when the specs aren't even finished yet and how in the world did they get away of adding a jumper on the card for the users to switch between 2x and 4x motherboards? That alone goes against Mickeysoft's PC specs.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Comment

matrox and nvidia has got the leads to support AGP4X already on their current products, who's strange?

And I dont suppose to understand why those guys paying in the past for an non-existence card called MAX and sitting there playing with their super-imaginary games in the distant future hoping thet the doorbell of expressman would make them awaken.

Comment

Howdy,

I see that you have no clue as to what you are talking about.

1 - Where do you see Matrox claiming 4x transactions?

They are claiming that they support 4x motherboards.

NV10 is supposed to be doing 4x transactions. This 4x spec is only available to a hand full of manufacturers. Gues who has it and guess who doesn't.

2 - Putting jumpers on the graphics card is going against Mickeysoft's PC99 specs.

Matrox does this somehow with no jumpers but NV has a jumper for the users to configure between 2x and 4x motherboards.

Get it now?

SwAmPy

Comment

I was hoping this would come up...Swampy, would you like for me to post a link to where Matrox claims 4X transactions?

------------------
                            Is this some kind of bust?
                            Yes, it's very impressive.

Comment

I find it highly unlikely that NVIDIA will release a new graphics card anytime this year for several reasons. NVIDIA's manufacturing partners have just started getting the TNT2 and ULTRA TNT2 out the door in volume. From the way they have been selling, it appears it will continue to generate considerable sales for some time to come. In order to recoup the cost of the design and manufacture of such a complex chip, it will be necessary for them to delay release of the new chip, even if it is ready this year in order to avoid cannibalizing themselves. Intel does the same thing with CPUs. They only release ahead of their conservative "roadmap" when it seems that one of their competitors, mainly AMD, might be getting too close on the price/performance curve.

Swamplady, what is this talk about jumpers on NVIDIA's graphics cards? I haven't seen a reference to that in any of the articles I have read... If a company claims to support AGP 4X, their product better have the ability to perform AGP 4X transactions, otherwise the claim is meaningless. Since all flavors of AGP are backward compatible, by default, any card with a viable AGP 1X/2X implemetation will be supported on a motherboard with an AGP 4X capable slot. Matrox claims that the G400 "acts as a multi-threaded AGP 4X bus master". If you want to view the technical paper, it can be found here:

http://www.matrox.com/g400/technical.../pdf/agp4x.pdf

From reading that paper, it appears clear to me that Matrox is claiming that the G400 can perform AGP 4X transactions. Anyone else have any comments???

Cheers!

------------------
                              ABIT BH-6, Celeron 300A @ 450 MHz, 128MB RAM, Millenium G200 16MB, IBM Deskstar 10GXP, SB LIVE!, Adaptec AHA-2940UW, Plextor 32X CDROM, Plextor 4X/12X CD-R, 3COM Etherlink XL PCI, IOMEGA ZIP 100 SCSI, Motorola Cybersurfr Wave cable modem

Comment

Working...
                              X