G400 MAX BIOS: a request and a warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 MAX BIOS: a request and a warning

I got my G400 MAX a couple of weeks ago and it had BIOS 1.3, if I remember correctly. On the enclosed CD, they have a utility for flashing the BIOS with TV-out and non-TV-out versions. I thought, cool, let me try the TV-out feature. So I flash the TV-out BIOS and it tells me to make an emergency disk, but I decline, because for the disk to work, you need to have the CMOS look at drive A: first when booting and I hate that so I have it shut off. Anyway, the TV-out works great, but it forces the picture on the primary monitor to be at the same refresh rate as the TV, which looks awful (this is BIOS TV-out for DOS, not the TV-out that you get with DualHead under Windows, which allows independent refresh rates and looks great). So I thought, well, this is cool, but I have no need for it so I'll go back to the non-TV-out BIOS. I do this, only to find the BIOS on the CD is only version 1.1!

So here is the warning: Don't play with the TV-out BIOS unless you make an image of your current version using the emergency disk method or some other way, or when you go back to non-TV-out, you'll be downgrading from 1.3 to 1.1.

And here is the request: Can someone with a G400 MAX send me an image of BIOS 1.3? The emergency disk utility should be able to create this. I e-mailed Matrox yesterday to see if they could provide me with one, and they said it wouldn't be available for at least a month. OK, maybe a new version won't be available for public download for at least a month, but you can't simply send me an image of the current version? Great tech support!

Anyway, sorry for the rant. If someone can help me out, I'd really appreciate it. Just e-mail the image file to veneziano@mediaone.net. It should be 32K in size.

Thanks!

Mark Veneziano
Working...
X