Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CANCELLED MY G400 order got Leadtek TNT2 Ultra!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CANCELLED MY G400 order got Leadtek TNT2 Ultra!

Well, the rumors were true that PCSTOP is now being told 8/2 ETA for G400. F it.. F Matrox. I'm going with a solid, fast and available . Leadtek Winfast S320-II Ultra. Will have it tomorrow. The only thing I thought would be nice is the bump mapping but I can deal without it. Besides in 4-8 months new cards will be out that I think will support EMBM, Compression etc. By then more sophisticated games will use them in more sophisticated ways and it will be worth the upgrade. Matrox just isn't worth the hassle on a card that will be obsolete in 6 months. Opinions? anyone have a Leadtek TNT2??

Well..I dont know, i have G200+Voodoo2 today and I think it is alright with most games today, and I think most games in next few month also will run not-too-bad with Voodoo2 or G200. I admit that I want a G400, it is a fast card and I would really like the DualHead because a watch DVD.
    However, I´m not sure if it is worth it when we will have next-gen card in 6 months, with lightning acc. etc.
    I hope MAtrox is able to make a chip that can fight with Voodoo4, TNT3/NV10...

------------------
    -[MAxie]-
    P2/448, 128Pc100, 16 GB IBM HDD, G200, V2, Sb Live!, Eizo T57S 17", MS Gamepad, 4xDVD, Adaptec 2940UW, Ricoh CDRW

-maxie-

Comment

Wow, this might be flamebait. In any case I have preordered a Herc TNT2U to be delivered in about a week. I've heard good things about most tnt2 cards, so you should be set.

-neo

------------------
      Asus P2B-F, 532MHZ Pentium II (4x133 at 2.4v), Global Win VEK12 hs/fan, 128MB Micron PC133, WD 7200RPM 18Gig, SB AWE 32, Creative DVD 2x, Mitsumi CDR 2x/8x, Sony Trinitron 17", Old Matrox Video Card, and a redhead with a pair of 36Cs (O/Ced to 38Cs)

Comment

There will ALWAYS be a next gen card out in 6 months! If you are going to wait on that you will wait forever.
        chuck

------------------
        (erswhile cjolley) celery 333@500mz 2.2V, 64meg@cas2, 10gig IBM 7200rpm UltraStar, Princton EO75, $15 sound card(!),V3 2000 PCI (still waiting on my MAX!)

Comment

I'm still waiting for G400 to shop locally from companies I know I can trust. I did think about the TNT2 but saw some images and the Bump mapping looked Yuk to be polite.
          But what the heck if you got the money and fed up with waiting, go for it Brainplastic why not. Wish you luck.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I've seen all the ENviron bump mapping comaprisons. I'm not sure but I think they are comparing EMBM vs no bump mapping. Not EMBM vs. Emboss mapping. If anyone has a link to Emboss pictures please let mne know.

Comment

neo,
              where did you get the herc ultra? I thought they weren't available until 9/9?

Comment

So, let's see. You can buy a card now then it's worth the upgrade, but in 2 weeks if you buy a card it's not worth the upgrade?? I don't get it. Also, if you can live without the EMBM, why upgrade at all? The only thing that buys you is a little more speed. If you skip this generation, the next will be out and so will the games to take advantage of this generation's new speed. Sorry, I don't understand your logic.
                I haven't decided whether or not I'll get a G400 this generation or not. I might just stick with my G200 for 6-8 more months. I don't know.

Paul
                Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

I ordered my G400 and recieved it within a few days from AllStarShop.com. I can offer some advice on the purchases:

1. The G400 obviously doesn't perform as well in my OpenGL games, but deos good enough for me. (I don't play half life)
                  2. The G400 runs my EA games MUCH better then my Diamond TNT2 Ultra and my Guillemot TNT2 Ultra did.
                  3. It performs within 2% of my TNT2 Ultra cards in every DirectX game I've tried and acutally looks a bit better.

I guess my advice would be as follows:

DirectX only gameplayers should go with the G400.
                  OpenGL only should probably go with the TNT2 Ultra.
                  People who play both except for Halflife should probably go with a G400.
                  Half Life lovers should definitly go with a TNT2 Ultra.

Just my opinion but I've put a lot of hours on those three cards, and the G400 was the only one the truly impressed me. I still haven't gotten used to it.

- DJ

My Packurd bell 166Megahurtz runnin at 233 on a ABIT ITH5 muther board,
                  128MB EDO ECC RAM and a hole bunch of other cool stuff.

Comment

Kenyee, I preordered it direct from hercules about 2 weeks ago. The average wait time then was 3->4 weeks. Hopefully closer to 3

-neo

------------------
                    Asus P2B-F, 532MHZ Pentium II (4x133 at 2.4v), Global Win VEK12 hs/fan, 128MB Micron PC133, WD 7200RPM 18Gig, SB AWE 32, Creative DVD 2x, Mitsumi CDR 2x/8x, Sony Trinitron 17", Old Matrox Video Card, and a redhead with a pair of 36Cs (O/Ced to 38Cs)

Comment

Dear Neo

Please send a pic of your readhead.

Comment

First of all DJ, I bet you got the single head OEM from ALLSTAR, not the dual head retail.

Second Paul, I have a p3-580 and am currently using a stealth 3d 3000 and a 4 meg voodoo1, so I need a new video card. My point was the TNT2 and the Matrox will be old in about 6-8 months. Either way I go. I am itching to "play" with my speed demon computer with a real vid card. I don't think its worth waiting any longer for a G400 for a few features that won't be implemented that extensively (EMBM)because I know I will upgrade with the true next generation cards. The TNT2 gives me speed, and image quality I have never experience (remember I never had a voodoo2 or TNT) and most important it gives me reliability and compatability.

Sorry about any typos...

Comment

DJROBERTS, can you expand on the EA games playing MUCH better??

Comment

Brainplastic: OEM and retail DH 32MB were available a few weeks ago. I got an OEM DH 32MB from allstarshop for $165.

Comment

What is your point Brain? There is no difference in OEM single head and Retail duel head except for the single and duel head. Oh ya the OEM comes with no game bundle...big deal.If he has no need for duel head then why the hell should he pay more money for a damn retail duel head?
                              P3 500(not overclocked)
                              128 MB PC100 SDRAM
                              SE440BX-2 Motherboard by Intel
                              Seagate 8.4 gig HDD
                              Diamond MX300 Sound Card
                              AOpen 40x CD ROM
                              Ethernet 32 bit PCI Card
                              Motorola Cable Modem
                              Matrox G400 32 OEM Single Head @150
                              17" CRT Monitor
                              Altec Lansing 2 Speakers and Sub

----CoolBreeze aka KAST----