Results of overclocking G200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Results of overclocking G200

OK here's what happened when I overclocked my G200. I didn't go too high because I was just curious how the frame rates of Unreal and Quake 2 would change as I upped the clock speed of the card.
    For Unreal I used timedemo 1 on the flyby with everything on except for trilinear coronas and reflections. oh yeah and low texture res to prevent hard drive swapping.
    For Quake 2 I used timedemo 1 with demomap demo2.dm2
    Memory Clock Unreal fps (640x Quake 2 (640x
    112.5 21.4 32.4
    120 22 33.2
    125 22.4 34

Well from these results it seems that overclocking doesn't have that much of an effect on the frame rate of Unreal. Perhaps something else is limiting my system (AGP 2x transfer rates?)? For Quake 2 the improvement was much more pronounced. However, since Quake 2 is already fluid enough that I don't really notice (although I haven't played it much) I have decided to not bother overclocking my card. If anyone has any different experiences with overclocking the G200 and these two games feel free to post them in a follow up.

My System
    P II 350
    Asus P2B
    64 MB PC100 RAM (Toshiba)
    Seagate Medalist Pro (7200rpm)
    oh and of course
    Millenium G200 8MB SGRAM

I am also thinking about getting a 8MB upgrade any thoughts on that?

Oh and on a side note G200clk somehow set itself to 225.something (150 memory clock) without my intervention and I ran it on several Unreal flybys because I thought it was running at 180 (120 memory clock) with no visual glitches! Although it proved consistent with my previous results of only minor frame rate improvements in Unreal due to overclocking, a little less than 25 fps initially and stabilizing at around 24 fps.

[This message has been edited by JonVS31 (edited 07-23-99).]
Working...
X