PD 5.13 and Windows 98-SE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PD 5.13 and Windows 98-SE

I have reinstalled my machine yesterday. I got Win98-SE in the MSDN-Library so I used that one. I did a clean install, nothing extra, no soundcard drivers, nothing. Just PD 5.13.
    Win98-SE installs directX and I tried DXDiag (in c:\program files\DirectX\Setup) to test Direct3D. (Goto tab "Display" and use button "Test Direct3D" with hardware acceleration enabled) This first uses software, this works, I get the spinning cube. Then it tries the 3D hardware, I see a resolution switch to 640x4?0, then the machine stops responding, no cube, pointer still works, nothing else works. I have to reboot my machine.

Same thing with OpenGL. When selecting 3D pipes the machine stops responding, just by selecting it!!

My machine :
    Abit BX6
    PII-350
    64 Mb
    MGA-200 8Mb SDRam
    Latest bios for Motherboard
    Latest bios for MGA-200
    PD 5.13

Rolf.

Yep :-<

I gave the same things with Win98 SE and driver 4.33, 4.51 and 5.13: With any 3d Game the computer hang very quickly !!!

I'm happy in one way : i am not alone !
    but I'm searching why
    --
    Athlon 700@700 (SlotA)
    Asus K7V (1007)
    2*128Mo PC133 SDRAM
    G400Max
    SB Live ! 5.1
    Tekram DC395U
    Realtek 10Mb
    20GO Maxtor IDE 66
    DVDROM Creative
    UltraPlex40 max & PlexWriter 4220
    Iomega Scsi Zip 100 in.
    Epson 760 USB Printer
    Logitech Cordless Desktop iTouch USB
    Benoit PLESSIS
    Benoit.PLESSIS@univ-lemans.fr

Comment

Win98SE isn't trying to share an IRQ with the g200 and something else, is it?

Cheers,

Steve

------------------
      Yeah, you know the score...
      (ICQ: 29468849)

Comment

Maverick,

I'm also happy that I am not alone. I also had these problems with the previous version of Win98 and the previous versions of the PD.

I had it working on the old Win98, but this was before I installed Visual Studio. It could be the "dll hell", look at "msvcrt.dll" in the old Win98 it has version 5.something, after installing VS and in Win98-SE the version is 6.something. And there are more dll's like this one.

I wonder, has Matrox tested PD 5.13 on Win98-SE ?????

We are not alone .....

Rolf.

Comment

Well... Matrox may not have, but I have... It seems to work fine for me, OpenGL an all else...

Sorry I can't offer any help other than 'it should work'

*sigh*

------------------
          Phil (MURC's G200 : WWW.G200.COM

Comment

make sure you do enough restarts, on my pc when i clean installed se and 5.13 on the first+second boots i got vga modes with no pd at all, it didnt actually need a reboot but i got soo pissed off i hit the reset switch and lo and behold it just started workin, microshaft for ya

------------------
            celery 300a@450, BH6, 64mb pc-100 8ns, mystique g200 8mb (rv 1, pd5.13.020, bios 2.3), win98se, mx300

Comment

try disabling bus mastering..

if your system isnt stable enough boot to safe mode and insert the bus maserting = "0" value into the registry.

It took me a week to figure out how to get my system stable. Every restart would get a lockup. There was no irq conflicts..everything was fine under linux with accelx so it had to be windows or PD5.13

anyways my system is stable. Hope this helps.

Comment

I have a perfectly stable machine.
                As long as I stay in 2D, the problem comes when I try to use 3D with hardware acceleration.....

I will try disabling bus mastering tonight. If that doesn't work, I will install the old Windows 98.

Rolf.

Comment

Hi. I here am new. Anyway, I thought I'd mention that i was having the 3D lockup with Pwerdesk 5.13, and Win 98 as well, and managed to clear it by switching from AGP turbo mode to AGP normal mode. After I switched it, I'm rocking. Turning off Busmastering reduces performance dramatically in Direct 3d, and Open GL stops working at all.

------------------
                  -Michael

Comment

Interestingly enough, I had a working setup with W98 FE (err.. first edition), and PD5.13, I ghosted my Boot partition to a 2nd Hard drive, just in case (thank God), and installed SE on top. Well, after that had finished, I switched Virtual Memory off, and ran defrag. The next day, I tried to run some games, and they all refused to run, either causing Page faults, or just dropping back to the desktop. In a panic, I just re-ghosted my opld image back, but it ocurred to me after, that I never set VM back again, so I don't know if that was the real issue. I'll re-install SE tonight, and report back

------------------
                    Life is a ride, Like days on a train,
                    Cities rush by, like ghosts in the night.

Comment

Hi guys,

I don't know if this will help but there are 2 issues that we know of that will cause these problems along with shut down problems with 98SE.

1 - Original SB Live drivers. You should update them to their latest ones.

2 - NAV 4. Update it to NAV 5.

Haig

Comment

Interestingly enough, I had a working setup with W98 FE (err.. first edition), and PD5.13, I ghosted my Boot partition to a 2nd Hard drive, just in case (thank God), and installed SE on top. Well, after that had finished, I switched Virtual Memory off, and ran defrag. The next day, I tried to run some games, and they all refused to run, either causing Page faults, or just dropping back to the desktop. In a panic, I just re-ghosted my opld image back, but it ocurred to me after, that I never set VM back again, so I don't know if that was the real issue. I'll re-install SE tonight, and report back

------------------
                        Life is a ride, Like days on a train,
                        Cities rush by, like ghosts in the night.

Comment

You are not going to believe this, I got it working!!!

How, you ask.

Well, I installed Win98 again (clean install), no drivers. Then installed DirectX6.1 runtime, then Matrox drivers.

Tested this, it didn't work ....

Now I started to think my card must be broken. I got a brainwave .... I disabled ALL harware acceleration in the advanced display options (performance tab) and disabled ALL 3D acceleration on the matrox options tab. Restart Windows, tried DXDiag again, only got software Direct3D. Now I slowly increased the hardware acceleration in the advanced display options (notch by notch) restarting windows with every notch. Tried Direct3D everytime, after the second notch I got some hardware support again and Direct3D in hardware started to work!!! I kept on going to see when it would stop working, it didn't stop. After I got full hardware acceleration in the advanced display options and it still worked fine, I started adding the acceleration features on the matrox options tab. And it kept on working.

Then I tested OpenGL, even this worked !!!

I now have the same settings as after a clean install, but now it works.

I do not know if this is THE solution, but it worked for me.....
                          I am happy.

Rolf.

Comment

Working...
                          X