Win98SE - Is it just me or...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win98SE - Is it just me or...

I haven't had any wonderful BSD's or GPF's, but it seems that Win98SE has some "issues". Specifically, when starting up, it seems to take longer to load, like there's some additional application loading in the background (yeah, I checked startup).

Also, seems that some applications take longer to load.

Would the "old" win98 and the various patches be a better choice?
    Gateway Performance 850 - Matrox G450 32mb DDR, SB Live! Value, Promise UltraATA 66 & 30GB HD - and Windows 2000 Pro

SE is a PILE O' SHIT. This is Microsoft's way to convince you to go with NT5.
    Matt

------------------
    Is this some kind of bust?
    Yes, it's very impressive.

Comment

I've been running Win98SE about 2 months (ver 2222a) and no problems at all...hmmm

Micko

Comment

M Ragsdale, could you qualify that for me please? I've been running it since release and I'm happy with it so far - What so bad compared to other releases? Check out my Quake 2 benchmarks - yuo can hardly call them slow, so performance isnt the issue.

------------------
        Phil (MURC's G200 : WWW.G200.COM

Comment

If you look at the microsoft's oem system builder site, there a a number of known issues with SE. Mainly to do with power management.

But that's it really.

Cheers,

Steve

------------------
          Yeah, you know the score...
          (ICQ: 29468849)

Comment

SE sucks balls on power management. The _ONLY_ way to make it work reliably is to set your bios to:

Power Management: DISABLE
            Control PM by APM: ENABLE

And then run it through windows. Otherwise, you get crashes, or memory leaks when returning from PM... ugly ugly. Made my P3-500 run like a 486.

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

I am sorry I was in a bad mood when I posted that, and I was having problems getting SE to install on my 2 systems to try it out. I can tell you that I won't be buying it in the near future, maybe.
              Matt

------------------

Comment

I attended a seminar by Microsoft on W2K and they made it clear that the gaming and general consumer platform would still be W98 not W2k. Microsoft has no intention to shift everyone into W2k from W98. Thats what these Microsoft speakers told a rather large crowd of Network Professionals. I think that anyone that thinks that they are going to be Gaming on the W2k Platform in in for a treat.
                Steve?

Comment

Yeah, I know. W2K was supposed to be this wonderful merging of NT and 9X, but that was scrapped after they had a lot of problems, and now they are scheduling to do this later on. I have W2K installed on my system and It seems to be pretty good (from what 2 days evaluation can bring). It looks like NT4 with IE5, and it has better plug and play, better hardware support, and DX7. I doubt this will turn into a gaming platform, but you never know.
                  Matt

------------------

Comment

A couple of things on W2K
                    It has "limited" Plug and Play not like W98.
                    The coolest feature is the way it handles .dll's. If you install software that intends to overwrite .dll's in your system dir. the .dll's will be "writen" in a seperate folder just for that software. This sounds like a great idea. But the software will have to be written FOR W2K.
                    All SP's will only have to be installed 1X.

Comment

Working...
                    X