No announcement yet.

What do you guys think about the G400?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys think about the G400?

With Dual-head? Is that feature a hype or something you nearly use everyday?

How's the performance compared to a TNT2?(seeing that it's only clocked at 125MHz or somewhere near)

I really wanted to buy it for my non-gaming machine and see what's up but the price is mad. US245!! That's right! The price of a G400 MAX!!

People who live in HK.. Did you guys actually see a cheaper price?

How's Environment Mapped Bump Mapping anyways? Nice feature? What's the performance hit?
    Could you tell me some bench results?

Thanks!

Why do I have a bad feeling about this?

To answer your questions:
    1. Dual Head is a feature that most won't use on a daily basis. It has great potential in the business world by having output to both a big screen tv and a monitor (ever try doing a computer demo while watching it on a TV? furgetit).

2. Performance compared to a TNT2 - there are a number of reviews that show D3D to be very close to that of a TNT2. In some "benchmarks" better. The only negative side so far is that OpenGL (read Quake II) isn't as good as a TNT2.

3. If you're using the card on a non-gaming machine, and concerned ONLY with the best image quality 'cause you do CAD or photo rendering or ??? this is the card. If you do a combo of 2D work and want decent 3D, this is still the card.

4. Ant's article on Bump Mapping says it all. For about a 15% performance hit you get better image quality.

While I have the opportunity to rant a little, it seems that game benchmarks have become the ONLY standard of a video card's worth. If all someone wants to do is play games, buy a PlayStation or Nintendo.

There is much more to the value of one particular video card over another than how fast it'll run a benchmark. The G400 has the advantange of providing (at least what I've found) the best image quality and color saturation along with very respectable D3D (DirectX) and OpenGL gameplay performance. It's not the fastest, but what it doesn't have in speed it more than made up in image quality. Something a TNT or TNT2 can't touch.
    Gateway Performance 850 - Matrox G450 32mb DDR, SB Live! Value, Promise UltraATA 66 & 30GB HD - and Windows 2000 Pro

Comment

Hi Billy,

just look into the posts with interesting topics ...

you'll find more info and opinions than you could handle

------------------
      Cheerio,
      Maggi

I used to have some posts in my record and hopefully some of the guys 'n' girls will still know me and my system ...
      Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
      Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
      be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
      4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
      2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
      OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
      4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
      Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
      Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
      LG BH10LS38
      LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Gosh MR Gates..with your money, I'd have thought that a 3DLabs Oxygen GMX AGP 16MB VRAM 80MB EDO Glint 2000 would suit your needs, at a little over $3000 bucks!

Comment

Working...
        X