FORCING G200 AGP to stay at IRQ10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FORCING G200 AGP to stay at IRQ10

OK.This is kinda related to the G200 and partly not.

I just installed an adaptec 2930c PCI SCSI controler and a Plextor 4220. They were bundled together.

The SCSI card automatically takes over IRQ10, which is what is usually used for the G200 AGP.
    The G200 gets moved down to 5 and works fine there. IRQ steering is also on 5 AND 10 (in fact it scatters itself everywhere I think) I don't even known what it means anyway.

NOW the problem:
    My ISA AWE64 doesn't like being pushed out of IRQ5 and into IRQ9. It doesn't conflict with anything according to Device Manager, but it just doesn't work right that way. This is just the way it is. The AWE64 is "barely" plug-n-play.

QUESTION: Is there a way to force the G200 and AWE64 to stay at 10 and 5 so that the only place the SCSI card can go is 9 (which is free) ???
    I can force the AWE64 to stay at IRQ5 by unchecking "use automatic settings" in DEvice Manager, but the G200 doesn't let you do that.

I have an Abit BX6 (original version).

cjboland@hotmail.com

Hi

Well, you can try to reserve IRQ 5 and that should push the G200 out of there, but not the AWE64 since it'll be on manual settings... I'm not sure if it's the best option though.

OK. Now, how to reserve IRQ 5 in case you don't know:

1- In the Device Manager, double click 'Computer'.
    2- Now select the 'Reserve Resources' tab.
    3- Make sure 'IRQ' option is selected and press 'Add'.
    4- Select IRQ 5 and you're done.

You'll have to restart, and with this, the G200 should be pushed out of IRQ 5 into... er... someplace else

(if it screws up, just unreserve the IRQ, ie. go to the 'reserve' window and remove the entry

Comment

Alot of bios's also allow you to assign an IRQ to a PCI slot. Windows cannot override an assigned IRQ by the bios. I assign an IRQ to all my pci cards thru the bios

Comment

Yeah, the best thing to do is force all your IRQs in BIOS. I locked my PCI slots off a long time ago. It makes moving cards easy - just reassign the IRQs when you move them, and Win95/98 doesn't redetect them.

Comment

I know where it is in the BIOS that you change this stuff but I don't know how to do it.

Can someone explain to me how to do this with an AbitBX6 (original version)?

Comment

Working...
          X