MAX, or P!!! 450?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAX, or P!!! 450?

OK, a dilemma, I ahve a G400 16MB OEM, and I am actually very happy with it, but, shoul;d I buy a MAX when they finally arrive down under, or get a P!!! 450 instead, cost is about the same, and I hear the G400's don't perform well with the Celerons. I have a 300A o/c'ed to 450, like everyone else.
    Which is going to give me a greater boost in raw fps?

------------------
    Life is a ride, Like days on a train,
    Cities rush by, like ghosts in the night.

I'd go with the CPU. That 16MB is a problem though. You should have got 32MB.

B

Comment

I'll probably get both, and a DVD player as well! what the heck, it's only money, and I can write it off on tax!

Comment

You won't see much difference between a Celeron 300a @ 450MHz and a PIII 450. Save your money or get a PIII500 or 550 if you want more power.

Comment

I see everybody with these 3dmark benchmarks running on 500Mhz celerys getting 5000 cpumarks. I run my p3-450 at 556 and get just under 9000. I'd say thats a pretty noticeable difference But also in games and stuff I have noticed much better performance than my buddies celery's. Diff setups all around but still.

Then Again it might just be that nobody but me amongst my bud's knows how to setup their software to work well.
          A computer is like sex. Your never 100% sure what your doing but when all goes well, it feels REAL good.

Comment

Talk about a good overclocking CPU try the new Celeron 466. I got one from a local dealer/friend for $150 and set it up to 75x7 or 525mhz. At 2.0 volts.

It runs very nicely: 1532 MIPS, 611 MFLOPS, 882.7 megs/sec Memory in Wintune.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by DrMordrid (edited 07-16-99).]

Comment

I say get them both. You can never have too many toys. There is a noticable performance difference inbetween a Celeron and a PIII. I run a PIII and my bro runs a Celeron, so I see it everyday. But if you want a real beastly fast system, for a reasonable price (kind of), get a PIII 450, under $250US and very overclockable, a G400 MAX, top of the line man, at least 128 MB of fast RAM (I run 256 MB PC133 compatible RAM) and a Western Digital Expert hard drive.

The hard drive and RAM are very important, too. The faster the HDD, the faster stuff loads. Games load about 50% faster on my 7200 RPM (WD Expert 18 GB) than they did on my old IBM Deskstar. And of course the more RAM you have the less the you have to cache to the hard drive, which speeds things up a whole lot.

If you don't have the cash for it now, just wait a month, big price cuts are on the horizon. Next month the AMD Athlon and Intel P3 600 will be released, dropping the cost of the P3 450 to around (if not under) $200US. WD is about to release their 27 GB Expert drive which will lower the price on the 9GB and 18 GB drives. RAM is cheap now, but with PC133 and RDDRAM coming out SDRAM is will keep getting cheaper. As for the MAX...don't hold your breath.

Jammrock

------------------
              PIII 504 (112 MHz x 4.5 - 504), 256 MB PC133 SDRAM, 18 GB WD Expert HDD, Encore 6x DVD w/ Dxr3 decoder, (TEMPORARY!!!) Voodoo 3 2000 @ 175 MHz which will be replaced by a Matrox G400 MAX, Sound Blaster Live! full retail, MAG DX715T 17". A nice little toy don't ya think?

“Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I'll go along with Jammrock

Get a PIII-450, 256 Mb RAM and a large harddrive along with the MAX.

I bought my 3-450 for the MAX only, just waiting for it now.

About the HDD: My last 10.8 Gb Fujitsu crashed, taking along about 4 to 6 Gb of data, you might want to steer clear of those drives

Jorden.
                ----
                running off a temp 1.2 Gb WD HDD now. Oh well, as long as I can be online, everything's okay!!

------------------
                Stupidity Reigns...

ICQ#9103941 (Auth. needed)

Jordâ„¢

Comment

I would get the P3-450 and run it at 558MHz. If it's good, you may even go to 581 or 600MHz! But you would need fast sdrams....

Comment

Genom,
                    Yes, the PIII is faster than a Celeron at any given clock speed, but 3DMark99Max is optimised for the PIII's SSE Instructions, so it makes it look like the PIII is a lot faster than it actually is.

Having said all that I would sooner use a PIII than any Celeron

[This message has been edited by Chris H (edited 07-17-99).]

Comment

Just get the MAX, about 4 550MHz Xeons, 2GB Pc133, 5 IBM 36GB Ultra3 SCSI drives, a DVD-ROM, DVD-RAM, 2 Viewsonic p817 monitors, 80" ProScan rear projection TV, Onkyo DolbyDigital system, and to top it all off, get 5 B&W Nautilus speakers. What? You don't have $200,000 laying around... ok forget it.

------------------
                      Andrew Gallagher - agallagh42@yahoo.com
                      Asus P2B-S, PII-350, 64MB PC100, MillG200 8MB, SBLive! Retail, Win98SE

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Hi Quantum2

Where did you get your G400 from, In the Melbourne area? I didn't think that they were in OZ yet, do you know if the retail versions are also here?

Cheers
                        Alan.

------------------
                        Celeron 366 @ 413, - A-Bit BH6, - 128M PC100, - Millenium G200, - SB Live, - ViewSonic 19", - IBM 6.4 H/D.

Pentium III 700@862; Abit BE6-II; 128M PC133; Matrox Millenium G400 MAX; 28Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM ATA66 H/D; 6.4Gb IBM H/D; SB Live; HP CDR-W; ViewSonic 19" monitor;

Comment

Hey Quantum2,

Where did you get your G400 from, In the Melbourne area? I didn't think that they were in OZ yet, do you know if the retail versions are here yet?

Cheers

Alan.

------------------
                          Celeron 366 @ 413, - A-Bit BH6, - 128M PC100, - Millenium G200, - SB Live, - ViewSonic 19", - IBM 6.4 H/D.

Pentium III 700@862; Abit BE6-II; 128M PC133; Matrox Millenium G400 MAX; 28Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM ATA66 H/D; 6.4Gb IBM H/D; SB Live; HP CDR-W; ViewSonic 19" monitor;

Comment

Damned multiple posts !!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Sierra (edited 07-19-99).]

Comment

Sierra, I got it from Cougar computers, ordered over the phone, and got it the next day! Just 256, including courier charges, cheaper with cash. try:
                              http://www2.cougar.com.au/cougar/Basket.cfm?PART=2372

(Damn, how do you insert a URL?)

------------------
                              Life is a ride, Like days on a train,
                              Cities rush by, like ghosts in the night.

Comment

Working...
                              X