Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For once and for all, does the G400 have a weak triangle setup or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For once and for all, does the G400 have a weak triangle setup or not?

Some say it does (that´s why it´s so cpu dependent) some say it doesn´t (drivers need some work).

And for the beta-testers: I know about the NDA, but is the performance improving in lower resolutions or what?

That´s important, because if the G400 has a so-so triangle setup, in the next batch of games (the polygon count should be higher and higher), it can´t really compete. That would be very bad and a big mistake from matrox.

So, what do you think?

[This message has been edited by Nuno (edited 07-16-99).]

Hi,

You make a VERY good point, but I don't think anyone is going to come forward with some straight answers.

You'll prolly get "who wants to play in Low Res anyway?"

I have a Sony GDM-F400 19" and I WANT to play in low res. If it gives a performance boost for Multiplayer online games. I don't usually play in any higher that 640x480 on the net. For single player high res is great when the FPS is not so critical. I still want great performance in Lower res's at 16 and 32bit.

So what is it.. Is the G400 flawed ?

Ant? Could you do some low res testing with any new drivers?

Thanks

Mike

Comment

Mike, I'm with you on this. That's the point in playing online games if you cannot compete with others, because of the lag. Too bad no game to my knowledge will even the points by CPU and resolution in use, so is there point to play with high resolutions? The resolution does not have to be larger than 800 for the gaming experience to be perfect if the fps just stay high.

And of course G400 will rock with old games it's been tested with, but like Nuno said no-one can really tell what's gonna happen with upcoming titles. Don't get too familiar with those high resolutions or it could be hard road back.

B

Comment

Hi there

Well, that "who wants to play in low resolution" has it´s points too. In online gaming I must say when I do it, the high ping latencies I get slow everything down. It´s anoying to prees te fire button and see it fires a second later...
        I can´t remember playing nothing in my g200 below 800x600, 1024x768 everytime I can.

But yes, I agree that lower res can improve the multiplayer performance, when the connection is not a so limiting factor.

I ordered myself a G400 16 Mb DH, I´m getting it next week. So I find it a very good product, and 3d is not all about a graphic card. The monitor control that powerdesk gives is great an I need it if I want a half-decent picture above 800x600 in my Nokia 447 Zi 17´´(yuck). The dual head feature is also mind blowing, multimonitor or great Tv-out on one card. Excelent DVD. More than adequate 3d speed (for nowadays that is), environnement bump mapping and excelent picture quality.

But that low res stuff is kinda bugging me, because as Buuri said, the card rocks with older games (G200 did to in its days), but how about upcoming games?

Thats why I would like to see the G400 run some polygon intensive stuff to see how it handles. In D3D, because Matrox D3D drivers had enough time to mature. I think that Tirtanium has a high polygon count (more than 10000 in certain scenes).

Comment

"is the performance improving in lower resolutions or what?"

With the current build that we have, yes it has increased.

Haig

Comment

Good news, then

Comment

how much improvment?

Comment

Why not release betadrivers for download, with a warningtext that Matrox doesnt take any responibility for these drivers, so people that dont care about taking a chance can get new drivers?

------------------
                -[MAxie]-
                P2/448, 128Pc100, 16 GB IBM HDD, G200, V2, Sb Live!, Eizo T57S 17", MS Gamepad, 4xDVD, Adaptec 2940UW, Ricoh CDRW

-maxie-

Comment

The new series 5.2x do improve low res speed considerably. As soon as Matrox allow I will be posting benchmarks from the latest beta.

Comment

What about newer NT drivers, all I hear
                    is 98, well one of the most popular
                    games on the planet uses NT4 its called
                    quake II and quake III

NT should fly in openGL since its all
                    32bit.

Comment

Working...
                    X