Uhh.. Win98 Problem: Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uhh.. Win98 Problem: Help?

This is quite minor really, but it is annoying the $*@#% out of me.

The contents of the Start Menu (actually, the Programs folder) is no longer sorted alphabetically. How do I remedy that?

Sorry for posting in this forum, but you guru guys seems to only hang out here.

Thanks.

JamesA.

[This message has been edited by JamesA (edited 07-15-99).]
    <b>JamesA</b>: Just a <b>Dumbass MURCer</b>

There isn't a remedy, but in windows 2000 there is a resort button. Just use the right mouse button to move the item to the desired place.

Comment

If you have Win98, you can just grab the icons and move them around.
      chuck

Comment

Ahem... it is simple, as a matter of fact. Just go to start->programs and click in any entry with the right mouse button. Select Sort by name. An there it is: alphabetically ordered entries. (this goes for the favourites list in IE, too.)

Hope this helps.

Comment

Oh my god. I can't believe it is that simple!! Can't imagine that I was an OS/2 WorkPlaceShell (Warp's OO GUI) fanatic. Duh.

Thanks for the help everyone.

JamesA

<b>JamesA</b>: Just a <b>Dumbass MURCer</b>

Comment

Nuno do you have IE5 on that machine. I think, but could be wrong, that IE5 gave me the sort by name option to alphabetize when right clicking on the program menu of the start button.

------------------
            p3 450 underclocked to p2 266 Mill2 pci card running @ VGA 16 colors

[This message has been edited by rekamlias (edited 07-15-99).]

Comment

Hi there

Yes I have IE 5, and now you mentioned it, I canĀ“t remember if that option was available when first using IE 4.0 (fresh win98 install). I think it was, but then, IĀ“m not sure...
              Well but since everybody should be using IE 5 over IE 4 from now...

Comment

FYI, I just checked on my 98 machine which only has IE4 SP2 installed and I don't have that sort option. So I am assuming it was part of IE5 or part of one of the Product updates from MS.

Comment

You know whats anoying as all hell? I have icons to my most used programs on my desktop. Theya re all ordered in a way I find aesthetically pelasing. But ever since I put in the G400, when windows98 finishes booting the icons ar ein their place. As soon as powerdesk loads it moves them around!!! I have searched high and low for why the devil it does this to no avail. Every time I boot I'm moving icons around. I am so pathetic
                  A computer is like sex. Your never 100% sure what your doing but when all goes well, it feels REAL good.

Comment

I think you need to order them as you want, click on the little blue powerdesk icon in your system tray and navigate the menu's to save the positions of your icons in that resolution - it is probably putting them into the original positions and you somehow have stopped it saving by default. In fact I tend to be a bit sad about this too and ensure I manually save my icon positions and disable the autosave feature!

------------------
                    Phil (MURC's G200 : WWW.G200.COM

Comment

Sorry Guys, you're all wrong. There should be AT MOST 3 icons on your desktop - My Computer, Network Neighborhood and Recycle bin - no more.

Who's with me on this one?

------------------
                      Yeah, you know the score...
                      (ICQ: 29468849)

Comment

JUST 2 icons - Recycle bin and My Computer. CanĀ“t get confused! Toolbar is another story.

Antti

Comment

NO icons. There is no reason to have shit on your desktop. It encourages any dimwit to walk up to your machine and start clicking on stuff.

Try it sometime. You'd be surprised how effective it is at, well, 'securing' your desktop Doesn't clutter up your backdrop, either.

Comment

No icons. No taskbar. And WindowBlinds ( http://www.stardock.com/products/windowblinds/ ) to get rid of the WinXX make-up.
                            P3@600 | Abit BH6 V1.01 NV | 256MB PC133 | G400MAX (EU,AGP2X) | Quantum Atlas 10K | Hitachi CDR-8330 | Diamond FirePort 40 | 3c905B-TX | TB Montego A3D(1) | IntelliMouse Explorer | Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 | Win2K/NT4

Comment

I have NO icons on my desktop(s), they are all in the start menu across the bottom (W98 specific, of course)

I almost never have to use the START button now either!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X