Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any problems with G400 and an old ASUS LX MB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any problems with G400 and an old ASUS LX MB?

I've heard mumblings of this. Is it true? Is there a workaround?

------------------
    Steven S. Klug
    sklug@hightower.com
    Steven S. Klug
    sklug@hightower.com

Yes, it _MAY_ be true. The old ASUS LX boards didn't provide enough juice to the AGP slot (1.5vdc instead of 1.6vdc). Anyway, I am fairly sure that ASUS has some sort of workaround... and it only mattered if you wanted to run at TOP speed. For example, the Guillemot Maxi Gamer Xentor 32 runs at 175/200, and on that board you have to slow it down to 160/180. Not a big deal, ya know? It's always fixable via drivers or BIOS, it seems.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Hi,

Apparently LX boards don't seem to supply the correct voltage to the AGP port.

There is a solder fix for both Abit and Asus boards. the Abit board involves one wire from the 3.3V AGP PSU connector to one of the Voltage regulators.

What CPU are you running? It seems anything my P2-375 wont be powerfull enoug anyway, without the AGP problems.

I have heard V3 and TNT2's fail on certain LX boards unles they are moded.

Mike

Comment

I'm running an even more pathetic original PII 300. But I'm getting a G400 for the cool bump mapping, and also assuming I'm going to get some kind of K7 or Coppermine PIII later this year, and want the card I'm buying now to do it justice.

I'm not too concerned with speed on my current machine, just that it will work at all. Currently have a MAX on order. Hope I get it before the millenium.

------------------
        Steven S. Klug
        sklug@hightower.com
        Steven S. Klug
        sklug@hightower.com

Comment

Steve,

Have you got an LX board then? What make is it?

Thanks

Mike

Comment

While on the subject of voltage and mainboards - a vaguely related question.
            Does anyone have any ideas why on the latest Gigabyte BX mobos (dual bios BX2000 or something) there are jumpers which must be set if you plan to fit a Voodoo3 in the AGP slot???

Cheers,

Steve

------------------
            Yeah, you know the score...
            (ICQ: 29468849)

Comment

That is so the mother board doesn't puke it out.

Matt

------------------
              Is this some kind of bust?
              Yes, it's very impressive.

Comment

My MB is an ASUS P2L97. Was purchased in August of 98, the first week it was available. (When the PII 300Mhz cost $950. heh)

Steven S. Klug
                sklug@hightower.com

Comment

To all Abit Lx owner

If your Mb doesn´t provide enough voltage then you should check this URL out.

http://hem.fyristorg.com/redtop/howto.htm

They tell you how to wire patch your Lx mainboard.

------------------
                  Celeron 433MHz,128Mb Sdram,G200,Abit Lx,Sb64awe

Comment

Working...
                  X