Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does G200 support VESA VBE 2.0?

Hello-

I've installed OpenStep on my computer and it supposedly supports VESA VBE 2.0 extensions. However, OpenStep reports that my G200 does not. I vaguely rememeber something was removed from the G200 bios a few months ago (I have the latest, 2.3 or whatever.) Is this what was removed? Was there a Matrox utility released to add them? (I couldn't find that utility on Matrox's or Matroxusers' pages.) I need something that would keep the settings between reboots- so OpenStep can use it.

Is there anything out there that does this?

Thanks, Andy

I think you can use Display Doctor.
    Some of the VBE 2.0 resolutions were removed to make room for something else.
    I thought it was just some of the resolutions that were taken out though. Can you try different resolutions? e.g. 800x600x16
    chuck
    (thanks for the correction gbm)

[This message has been edited by chuck (edited 07-16-99).]

Comment

No, Display Doc doesn't have G200 support (yet). Supposedly it's coming...

But there are other utils that will do it.

Matrox BIOS updates come with vbetsr.exe that can be run in your autoexec.bat

http://grafi.ii.pw.edu.pl/gbm/matrox/
      also has a 3rd party util posted in the "Utilities" section that will do the trick...

Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

1. All Matrox cards fully support VBE 2.0.

2. G200 and G400 cards provide ROM BIOS support only for modes up to 800x600 (this has nothing to VBE compatibility).

3. To use modes above 800x600, VBE TSR is needed. The utility is included with BIOS package, available for download from Matrox.

4. Alternatively, Carsten's utility may be used instead.

Comment

gbm-

The Matrox utility and Carsten's utility only work when in DOS/Win9x right? (please confirm, I'm not completely sure...) I have to boot into a seperate OS- OpenStep.

I did see on your site (you're the author of MatroX Files?) that the G200 does support at least some VBE 2.0 resolutions- so this wasn't (completely) taken out in later versions of the BIOS? For some reason, OpenStep reports that the video card doesn't support it at all. Perhaps it has a problem with AGP or something.

Thanks, Andy

ps- I think there's a new version of Carsten's utility on his web site. .7? (your site provides .5)

Comment

Perhaps OpenStep wants to default to an unsupported res and failing that assumes that the card does not suport VBE 2.0 at all.
            Look for a switch in a config file that will tell it to start in a different (supported) resolution.
            chuck
            (I quit using Linux because I spent more time trying to find answers to questions like this than I did getting anything done on my computer.)

Comment

chuck wrote:

(I quit using Linux because I spent more time trying to find answers to questions like this than I did getting anything done on my computer.)

NextStep has one of the most pleasurable, intuitive GUIs ever produced. Too bad it didn't take off. I wish Steve Jobs had made it opensource. (Apple stopped development on it after they bought Next.)

Comment

pnkflyd51
                That would not be the first thing Jobs had killed by holding too close.
                Did you find a config file that looked promising?
                chuck

Comment

Working...
                X