Overclocking Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking Questions

OK, what affect does have the AGP overclocked have on a video card? How is this different from OC the core and memory? I have a p3-450 running at 581 (129 fsb) that woul dmake my AGP at 86 mhz. I have a g400 32 DH on the way. Can it handle this? will there be a speed improvement? Can I OC on top of this with powerstrip? Can a fan easily be attached to the G400?

Heya Brain. I have pretty much the same setup as you do. I can tell ya my G400 didnt OC much. But yes, you can OC. You just might have to force AGP2x cause of the high FSB. I got 124Mhz FSB but if I force it everything works great and the G400 can OC up to 177Mhz (from 166 I think is the default). Not that much but hey, thats what ya get. Some poeple have gotten over 200Mhz on them.

Also just get one of them little skinny Pentium fans and screw it right on the heatsink. The pins are pretty soft so just see where the screws will en dup and bend the pins a little inward so the screw can grab on. this way it's easy to remove but still keeps it cool.
    A computer is like sex. Your never 100% sure what your doing but when all goes well, it feels REAL good.

Comment

The MAX was confirmed by someone else at 150mhz core. My bulk G400 DH 32MB runs perfectly fine at 145c/194m or 290 PLL. I added a pentium fan to the heatsink

Comment

Thanks for the replies. But I'm still not sure what affect the increased AGP speed is having. % wise does anyone have a clue? Does the increased AGP bus speed lower the ability to OC the core and memory?

Comment

Brainplastic: Yes, a higher AGP bus speed could affect the cards ability to overclock - I emphasize "could." Every system and card is different(no G400 chip comes off the assembly line the same). For the most part, Matrox cards can handle higher AGP speeds very well. Even the G200 could handle really high AGP bus speeds.

Comment

RickT, would a non OC card at 66 mhz AGP bus get a performance boost from a non OC'd card at 86 mhz AGP?

Comment

I'm running my G400 DH 32MB on an 83Mhz AGP bus in 1x mode, and I have the card OCed to 150/200. It crashes if I try to use 2x mode, but it hasn't crashed once with what I've thrown at it (crusher, Unreal, etc.) in 1x. If my CPU (Celeron 416) weren't holding it back, that thing would scream. Needless to say, I'm planning to get a faster CPU (probably PIII-450 OCed to 558+) soon. But yes, the card works fine when overclocked on an overclocked AGP bus.

Comment

Buy why would you want to run in 1xAGP mode. Seems you'd do more harm to performance than good.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that AGP 2X (133Mhz) is only applicable when swapping data to and from the system memory for graphics textures.

When sending information to and from the video card for normal display purposes, I've found that I get better performance with 1X @ 86Mhz on my system than 2X @ 66Mhz. - That could also be because my processor is running @ 581 instead of 450 though

------------------
                  Running an ABIT BX6 R2, PIII-450 @ 581Mhz, 128MB (64x2) PC100SDRAM (running @ 129), Matrox Mystique G200 8MB, SBLive! Value, Adaptec AHA-2940UW (Dual Channel)
                  All kinds of other SCSI and ATAPI goodies....
                  -------------
                  Waiting for my G400Max Impatiently, increasing system performance to give it a good home.....

[This message has been edited by Guyver (edited 07-16-99).]
                  Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                  - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                  - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
                  - 6.1 Digital Audio
                  - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
                  - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
                  - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
                  - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                  - LS120 IDE Floppy
                  - Zip 100 IDE
                  - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                  - NEC FE950
                  - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Working...
                  X