Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone succesfully OC a PII 350..?

Hi,

now that CPU's are cheap i think I can afford to overclock my Dual PII 350 system maybe to 400 or even 450
    Has anyone succesfully OC their chips to any of the above speeds..?
    BTW I have an ASUS P2B-D with 2 PII 350's
    and 256mb ram
    -Adaptec 2940uw
    -Matrox Marvel
    -Promise fasttrack
    -Audiotrix 3D-XG

Thanks
    Elie

using an abit bh6 i over clocked my p2 350 to 464 4.5 x 103 mhz core voltage 2.2

6 hour loop of 3d mark max no errors then 12 hour loop of final reality fllowed by 12 hours of prime 95 torcher test.

no errors on any of the tests case temp never excedded 33 c

------------------
    Waiting for g400 to show up, while i go slowly insane. I don't have a warped mind do i?

noel

Comment

By taping pin B21 on my 350, I was able to unlock it, and get 412 (4*103). Locked I got it to 392 (3.5*112).

One of these days I'll try 464

------------------
      P2-350(@103*4=412), Asus P2B(1009), 128meg PC100, MillG400 32meg(PD5.20.???), CL SB Live!Value, CL PC-DVD, Mitsumi CD-R, WD UDMA 8.4&6.4 gig, (2)USR 56k(multilinked), 3Com 905B-TX, etc...

Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the tips, I didn't realise until Kruzin brought it up that the chip's frequency ratio was locked at 3.5x
        so no matter what I did it always showed PII 350.

Kruzin, do you have a diagram that shows the process..?

All I need is to bring them up to PII450 speeds because the PII here is still a premium and hard to find.

Thanks again guys,
        Elie

Comment

Hi Elie...
          No I don't have a diagram. But I think Tom's Hardware has one on taping B21 on a celery to get it to run at 100mhz...same thing...sorry, no url handy...
          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Hi Kruzin,

So it's the same pin to unlock the PII 350
            as it is to run the celery at 100mhz...
            hmmm interesting
            I'll check his site out.
            Thanks again,
            Elie

Comment

The site won't say anything about it unlocking the 350...apparently it doesn't work on all 350s, just certain ones. There was a good thread in the General HW forum about it, but it's gone now (musta went with one of the forum crashes)...

Comment

I have overclocked my p2 350 to 412(4*103)
                (Thanks to some people on this board).
                I have a shuttle 661 Mobo, and I just had to remove a jumper to unlock the multiplier.
                The jumper was for people that would run their celerons t 100 Mhz. I think it just disables the B21 pin. I tried 4.5, but I got an instant lockup and had to reset the bios.
                Have never had a problem with 412 Mhz.

[This message has been edited by FroBo (edited 07-06-99).]
                P4 1.8N, 512 mb RDRam, Abit TH7 II-Raid, 60 GB Seagate IV Barracuda, SB Audigy, ATI Radeon 8500, ...

Comment

I am currently running my PII-350 @ 451.02 Mhz - 129 * 3.5. Mine is clock-locked on the multiplier. Must have some real-good PC100 Memory to be running 100% stable @ 129Mhz - default 2.00 volts.
                  Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                  - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                  - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
                  - 6.1 Digital Audio
                  - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
                  - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
                  - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
                  - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                  - LS120 IDE Floppy
                  - Zip 100 IDE
                  - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                  - NEC FE950
                  - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Well if we're into 'my mobo's better because' then with The Abit BX6r2 (and I think BH6) you don't even need to remove a jumper (unless it's to warm in the room - sorry ) because it takes absolutely no notice of that troublesome Pin B21.

Comment

I know this is off the track of the original post but what is the go with having to tape Pin 21 on a Celery to get it to run at 100FSB?

I run a 300A at 100FSB on a Gigabyte 6BX m'board and didn't have to do anything but set the FSB to 100...(Gotta love 450MHZ)
                      ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Motherboard, Intel Core i7 2600K CPU @ 4.3GHz, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB DDR3 Ram, Pioneer DVR-219L DVDRW, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD, Western Digital Black 1TB SATA HDD, Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB, Everything being driven by Windows 10 Professional (64Bit)...

Bored Yet?

Comment

It depends of what kind of Mobo you have.
                        Some motherboards will normally not allow celeries to run at 100 Mhz. You can bypass this by "disable" pin B21. In the worst case you have to tape the pin B21 on the processor, or like my case you can remove a jumper to disable pin B21. You also need to disable pin B21 to set the multiplier to 4* for p2 350 (Maybe not all Mobo's). But as I have heard this isn't possible with newer p2 350's. When Elie mentioned a pin to allow celeries to run at 100 Mhz, I thought that he maybe meant this jumper/pin. I also know that my mobo isn't the greatest, so I'm sure there are some mobos that have a better solution. Just thought I would be informative. If you have more questions I'm sure some of the gurus on this forum know a lot more than I.

------------------
                        P2-350@412, Shuttle 661, 64 mb, 6,4 gb, Millenium G200, SB PCI 128, Accton combo ethernet card, ...

P4 1.8N, 512 mb RDRam, Abit TH7 II-Raid, 60 GB Seagate IV Barracuda, SB Audigy, ATI Radeon 8500, ...

Comment

Yeah, the deal is the newer P2s ignore any multiplyer settings on the board and run at whatever they're supposed to. I tried installing one a couple of weeks ago, set the jumpers for 4x100 and it booted at 350. I'm going to try taping B21 just to see if it unlocks mine, since I have an older one that refuses to boot at any setting other than 3.5. Runs just fine at 112 FSB (392MHz) though, so it should theoretically at least post at 400, which it won't.

Comment

Does taping B21 unlock the chip, or change the lock to 4x?

------------------
                            Cheers,
                            Steve
                            It's Only A Graphics Card!
                            (But a damn good 'un!)

Comment

Hi Steve!

Here's the deal with the PII-350:

When Intel started manufacturing the PII-350's and 400's about a year ago they had made modifications to the PCB that locked the clock MULTIPLIER. at 3.5 and 4 respectively. Many OC'ers and a few mobo manufacturers like Abit discovered that this type of locking could be "tricked" by changing the value from high to low on a programmable bios parameter (same a pin taping) thus allowing the full range of multipliers. When Intel realised this a few months later they were quick to design a new protection of the multiplier that is COMPLETELY hardlocked within the PCB. Noone I have heard of has been able to unlock the new multiplier locks, as many Celeron owners know only too well.

As there was only a few of the original processors ever made, that makes them very sought after. I was lucky enough to get my hands on one of the babies for my mom's ABIT BH6 system.

Thus I can OC by upping the multiplier or the bus frequency or use combinations, which allows for a very wide range of system speeds.

Unfortunatly, the cache chips on the old PII-350's are sensitive to the extra heat created when overclocking. As the processor I bought is a retail model complete with standard fan and heatsink, I'm not going to tear it apart to replace the fan/heatsink with a better combo. This means that it maxes out at about 450 mhz.

Sorry about the long rant. I hope it cleared up a few things.

Regards,

Jake
                              Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
                              ----------------------
                              Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Comment

Working...
                              X