Power Management - Gotta ask again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Management - Gotta ask again...

Sorry, but...can't seem to get a clear answer on this.

My system is as follows: Gateway G6400 - Intel Tabor mobo, Matrox G400 OEM, Windows 98 SECOND EDITION.

With or without power management disabled in the BIOS, if I have a screen saver other than BLANK SCREEN running AND "turn off monitor" enabled, the system goes to sleep and won't wake up.

Question is, is this a problem ONLY with Windows 98 SE, or does it also occur with the "original" Win98?

If it's only with Win98SE, I'll just download the Y2K fixes and reinstall the original '98.

Kruzin, Ant, Haig??? Help!
    Gateway Performance 850 - Matrox G450 32mb DDR, SB Live! Value, Promise UltraATA 66 & 30GB HD - and Windows 2000 Pro

Goto Device Manager and check whether Win98 SE has installed support for ACPI power management. You can see that by look at System device whether Plug'n Play BIOS is installed or ACPI BIOS is installed.

Some system BIOS claim to support ACPI and Win98SE detected it, but the ACPI implementation is buggy. Make sure an IRQ is also assigned to ACPI by the system BIOS. If your system ACPI is buggy, most probably it will "sleep" forever.

Win98 won't install ACPI support by default.

KJ Liew

Comment

Working...
    X