Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any way to acitvate hidden Virtual Desktop settings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any way to acitvate hidden Virtual Desktop settings?

Hi all,
    sorry to be asking this question again. I know that Virtual Deskstop is officially not supported in PowerDesk 5 (or >4.26 for that matter- Yes i am still stuck on 4.26 just because of that feature). Is there ANYWAY to activate it just like in 4.51 (although unstable) through a registry hack?

I just would miss virtual desktop too much that I may not even want to get a G400 (I can't believe I just typed that!)

Thx all
    alex

Nope. That part of the code isn't even in there any more. Closest you can get to a virtual desktop is to get a G400, and spread the desktop across 2 monitors
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

The Virtual desktop was removed by microsoft. They decided that it had far too many problems to be worth continuing with. So, as Kruzin says, the closest you'll get it the dual head on the g400s.

Cheers,

Steve

------------------
      Yeah, you know the score...
      (ICQ: 29468849)

Comment

umm, I haven't tried it but the virtual desktop appears to be there in my NT latest drivers..

Comment

I very need virtual desktop too.

Dual head is not a solution for me - two monitors = +$400 (now one year of work :-(( ), virtual desktop = +$0 ...

WHY Matrox removed it ??? Any problems ???

I didn't have any problems with virtual desktop with drivers < 4.51; with 4.51 drivers virtual desktop was only sometimes unstable, but this is Matrox's bug, not Microsoft's ...

What is it "Microsoft does not support virtual dektop" ? Under Windows 3.x or Windows 95 or Windows 98 with drivers < 4.51 does it support ???????

Why it works perfectly with older drivers and now cannot ???

G400 is very very good, but can I get it, without virtual desktop support .... ??
          I am so unhappy ...

Please excuse my worse English.

Comment

VD will be back if MS decides to change the PC specs for win98.

NT still has it because the OS itself (NT) treats a multiple monitor setup as one big desktop where as with 98, it treats it independant of each other.

Haig

Comment

But how is possible, that with older drivers (<4.51) worked VD perfektly in Windows 98 too ???

Comment

Actually, as you know you can do it with practically any 2 graphics adapters in Win98. So getting a G400 is necessary not "closest you'll get" to the virtual desktop..

2 monitor/adapter support has been in 98 from the beginning so don't overrate G400 because of this 'superb new feature'. It's available at any time you want without any dual heads.

Besides, I would bet that the 2 monitor performance is not that good at all with dual head rather than when using 2 separate quality adapters.

B

[This message has been edited by Buuri (edited 07-14-99).]

Comment

Working...
                X