THAT is no macrovision prob!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THAT is no macrovision prob!!

It should always get to your TV. Macrovision kicks in when it comes to recording (playing with the Gain-Chip) There is no problem watching though....

Actually Macrovision is such a picky little bi... uh.... thing, that if you DARE loop through any device at all before going to the TV the image goes bonkers. Trust me, when I had 2 VCR's and played back Toy Story on the second one I swore I had gotten a bad tape and was royally pissed, until I tried playing in the first VCR. Ever since i have been anti-macrovision. I mean lets face it, all they are doing is making the pople that WANT to copy videos buy a 30 dollar box and make it a pain in the ass for everybody else that has lotsa gear.

--------------------------------------------
    Nyah Nyah Nyah. I got a G400 and you dont.
    P3-450~556, 384MB, MX300 and lots of other goodies.
    A computer is like sex. Your never 100% sure what your doing but when all goes well, it feels REAL good.

Comment

Hi Guys, I hate Marcovision!
      I am told the TV out adds Macrovision when playing DVD, this apparently is a legal issue with Matrox. It is done in software in the G200 so I hope it will be the same for G400 so that a patch can be done to remove it.

Macrovision works by causing rapid changes to the AGC (Automatic Gain Control) which affects VCRs because they have a fast AGC circuit, this is the spec. TVs don't suffer as they have slow AGC, you can imagine what the picture would look like if it was fast and have anything less than perfect signal.

Yes, you can get boxes to remove Macrovision as these AGC pulses are added in the lines that do not display on the screen (about 20 lines I think). You just apply a black level. I made up a box myself and it work great on many tapes, but some were still a problem. When I stuck the scope on to see what was wrong I found that some tapes also have fake framing pulses mid frame - Macrovision 2. This is where you need to redrive the sync pulses, looks like the RR does this to maintain picture lock.

I don't have any Matrox product at the moment, but when I do I will take a close look at the code (nod nod wink wink) if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Cheers

Ray

Comment

Working...
      X