Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Matrox Online G400Max order number is 12186 and . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Matrox Online G400Max order number is 12186 and . . .

I am waiting anxiously for the arrival of my card. It'd be great if we would all post our order numbers and dates we recieve our cards to see if it makes it any easier to anticipate a likely arrival date.
    And, oh please god let me have made the right decision. I have sworn by 3dfx - Loved the voodoo1 - LOVED the voodoo2 SLI - When TNT2 came out, I installed a 32 meg on a friends computer and he is in seventh heaven (he had upgraded from a voodoo1). This will be my first experience with Matrox (and I am jumping in despite the lack of Opengl support available NOW - only because I will continue to run my voodoo2 SLI along with the g400 Max) and I HOPE I'M HAPPY!!!

Erm what lack of OpenGL support would that be?

Comment

Erm . . . (I like that - erm) That would be the lack of opengl support (maybe I should say the lack of FAST Opengl support - if I made it sound like there was NO Opengl support, I apologize) sited as the reason that AT THIS POINT, the G400 lags behind tnt2 and voodoo3 in benchmarking tests for opengl:

Thresh's Firing Squad (7/2/99)
      Benchmarks under Opengl:
      http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/g400max/page13.asp

Tom's (6/30/99)
      32 bit Opengl Z-Buffer problem:
      http://www5.tomshardware.com/releases/99q2/990628/g400-01.html

Tom's (6/30/99)
      Opengl benchmarking
      http://www5.tomshardware.com/releases/99q2/990628/g400-12.html

I'm sure there are several more out there, but I believe these are two of the most recent and should reflect performance very close to the g400max's now being shipped.

Comment

Hmm I see, it's lack of FAST OpenGL support. So you wouldn't consider 65fps at 1024x768 in 32-bit colour fast then? That's what I currently get on the MAX in Quake 2 with the early beta drivers. Personally I thought that was nice and fast but if you actually want FAST you'll have to wait for 5.2xx

Comment

1) All those reviews use an older set of drivers. The latest release drivers are 5.13.

2) The 32-bit z-buffer problem has been fixed in the release drivers version 5.13.

3) As a beta tester for newer drivers all I can say is that it will get better.

Joel
          Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
          Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Quake2 is obsolete as a benchmark - why everyone keeps hanging onto this ugly game? Can you please tell us what you get with a bit more modern OpenGL engines like Half-Life and Unreal? Especially later - can't wait to find out if I can play it at 1280x1024x32 or above

Thanks,
            Michael
            P2c-300a/450, 256MB PC125 SDRAM, Quantum Fireball Plus KA 18.2GB 7200rpm, Panasonic 7502B x4/x8 Ultra SCSI CD-R, Tekram DC-390U2W Ultra2Wide SCSI controller, Diamond MX300 (Vortex2), Matrox Millennium G400Max, 19" Hitachi SuperScan 752, Logitech Cordless MouseMan Wheel and some other fancy stuff

Comment

Unreal won't run OGL decently on any card. It's OGL support sucks bad, and will probably never get beter. Basically Unreal is Glide first, with D3D finally coming into shape...
              Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Thanks for the encouraging words, folks - I WANT it to run every game I own (which is WAY too many) blindingly fast. Just afraid, for my $250 bucks, it won't. What about all those EA sports games that supposedly only run well in Glide (I'm a junky for them and own most of them)?

Comment

EA owns a chunk of 3dfx, that is why Glide support is so good.

Comment

Working...
                  X