How high can you go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How high can you go?

Now that many people here are getting their G400s, how high can each of you overclock using the latest PowerStrip?

I can get my normal 32mb G400 up to 210Mhz Memory (somewhere around 157 I think for core) before I get too many artefacts.

Also state what cooling you use, and if you have a pic, stick it in too!

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve
    It's Only A Graphics Card!
    (But a damn good 'un!)

that is amazing you got 6ns SGRAM to run at 210mhz. Why are the memory and core speeds linked? Have you tried g200clk - it works with g400

Comment

Don't know why they're linked, only the big M knows. Haven't tried g200clk yet, PStrip works fine for me. I do know of another board though which only reaches 178mhz memory though.

------------------
      Cheers,
      Steve
      (But a damn good 'un!)

Comment

How did youi get that big ole fan mounted like that? I am too interested in overclocking my G400 but only the graphics clock not the memeory, with Powerstrip I was able to get the memory only up to 175MHZ before I got artifacts, and the core clock did not change at all, stayed at 126MHZ.
        PIII 700@960, Asus CUSL2, Adaptec 29160, 2x Seagate Barracuda 18.2GB, SB LIve!, 3COM 3C905TX, 256MB Muskin Rev. 2 PC133 at 2-2-2, G400MAX soon the be replaced with ?.

Comment

What I wanna know is, where'd that big ole fan *come* from? Maybe it's the pic (or maybe I don't know too much about fans) but that doesn't look familiar. I'd sure like to hook one of those to...oh, any number of hotspots in my pc...so, what's the 411?

------------------
          Holly
          Who just *likes* SiN, dammit, no matter what the reviewers say! and can now put her V2 in her roomie's new (in a way) K6-266 (be quiet, she doesn't play games! well, not like Half-Life, anyway, she's a bleem! kinda roomie) because now her [Soyo 5EMA, K6-2 333 not o/c, 256MB PC100 , Millennium G200 8MB SGRAM, Win98] works plenty good enough 'til she's saved the moolah for the G400/Athlon rig [drool, pant, drool... ]

[This message has been edited by motub (edited 07-07-99).]
          Holly

"All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open ended program of procreative racial deconstruction."
          -Jay Bulworth

Comment

I was thinkin about throwning a couple of 486 fans in the heatsink and use a power splitter to power em both up.
            PIII 700@960, Asus CUSL2, Adaptec 29160, 2x Seagate Barracuda 18.2GB, SB LIve!, 3COM 3C905TX, 256MB Muskin Rev. 2 PC133 at 2-2-2, G400MAX soon the be replaced with ?.

Comment

Hi Guys,

I have no idea where they originally came from - all I know is that they were from somewhere in the USA (A friend ordered them over the net for me). All it is (I have another at the front of me PC) is a normal power supply sized fan, but has three wires (so I know if my dear old g400 is about to smoke). I think it's 80mm wide.
              And to mount it, you might be able to see the meccanno in the lower left corner of the fan? That's then screwed into a hole I have in the back of my case. Thing is, if I put my case side on, it just blows hot air onto the g400, so Holly, it's not just about blowing!

Any more questions?

------------------
              Cheers,
              Steve
              (But a damn good 'un!)

Comment

How are you guys doing this, when I get to the memory-clock slider, it's greyed out! When I go to Information, the status area is full of the word "unknown", yet in overview area areas it says Matrox Millenium G400 (English). What do I have to do to get this working??

Comment

Quantum - you sure you have v2.51.02 (non beta)? Uninstall all Powerstrips, wipe out any pstrip files in the windows directory, download it again, and re-install.

------------------
                  Cheers,
                  Steve
                  (But a damn good 'un!)

Comment

Is that thing loud? Well you guys can order a cardcooler from http://www.thecardcooler.com/. It is $20 plus shipping. I have one and it is very quiet. They have links to sites that reviewed it if you guys want to know if its good or not. It's even reviewed here at MURC. I wonder how high I can go with the MAX. I am also thinking about adding a slot fan to my case to take out all the hot air. Boy, I am going nuts with these things.

Comment

My G400 seems to top out at 142.5/190Mhz. I put a small fan on it and it is slightly more stable, but the heatsink didn't get hot at all before. However, the back side of the PCB is hotter than the heat sink. I think that the package and pins are transmitting more heat into the PCB than through the top of the chip via the heatsink.

The core and mem clocks seemed linked, don't they? If so, then the MAX must have a core speed of 150Mhz if the RAM is 5ns (200Mhz), not the 166Mhz that had been postulated in some of the early reviews.

If the core of the MAX is 166Mhz then I can see why there is a problem. There is so little margin at 126Mhz, let alone 166 that the yield of fast chips must be incredibly low.

------------------
                      Greg

Comment

Yes - with a fan in the PS, one on the CPU, that biggun on the G400 there, and another one at the front of my case, ontop of the three hard drives (and one is very loud for some reason - I think it's nearing the end of its life), my PC is bloody loud, even with the case on!

------------------
                        Cheers,
                        Steve
                        (But a damn good 'un!)

Comment

Hi SteveC,
                          If you attack your case side with an electric drill and metal drill bit like I did you can put your side back on, cut down on the noise and dust, and blow cold air onto the processor and G400.

You can also buy these fans for a few pounds at local computer fairs (every month or so up here in Glasgow).

How are the benchmarks affected by the 400 o/c'ing?

Cheers

Opus
                          ps I'm 35

Comment

Yeah, I think I will attack my case sometime soon. The dust is a nightmare, esp cos my PC is on the floor.
                            I couldn't find the three wire fans anywhere in the UK when I tried about 6 months back.
                            I get up to aroung 10% increase in Q2, 15% increase in 3dmark99. That's all I know at the moment.

------------------
                            Cheers,
                            Steve
                            (But a damn good 'un!)

Comment

I bought a big nasty Supermicro case recently because of hard-disk heat problems I was having in a regular tower using two fans. 10,000rpm drives run veeery hot.

I think I've got Steve's noise problem now though, as I have seven 8mm fans fitted:
                              2 fans at the front sucking in
                              2 fans at the back blowing out (including the PSU fan)
                              2 fans at the side of the hard disks, sucking in
                              1 fan above the CPU & AGP slots

It sounded like an industrial vacuum cleaner until I found a desk tall enough to hide it under.

I'm looking forward to trying to o/c my MAX, but I have some questions first.
                              Which is the best utility - Powerstrip or g200clk?
                              How can you cool the reverse side of the PCB?
                              Steve & Opus: are you suggesting peppering the case-side with holes to help with the fan you showed in the image?

------------------
                              A graphics card's for life - not just for Christmas

Comment

Working...
                              X