Need help from the AMD/VIA Guru's for G200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help from the AMD/VIA Guru's for G200

I recently did a complete reformat, reinstall of everything in order to do a clean install of Windows 98 SE. After the reinstall I had to drop my video acceleration to basic, otherwise I would lock-up without notice. Yesterday, I downloaded and installed all the newest VIA drivers (had previously installed the older ones), and no difference. I also removed and re-installed powerdesk (latest version). Now if I turn acceleration all the way up (windows display control panel), when the computer reboots, I have a distorted screen that shows about 6 of everything on the desktop and is garbled. So I have to drop the acceleration down again. It is now also doing something else weird. When I boot (we have 2 puters networked at home) and the windows log-in screen comes up, it is at 640x480, but once I log-on, it reverts back to my 1024x768. I read to disable some features in powerdesk, however when I try to open powerdesk, I get a message saying that either I am in safe mode, etc. and that it is not loaded. I have tried reinstalling again and again to no avail. HELP!!!

My System:
    Motherboard: FIC 503+ rev 1.2A3
    Processor: AMD K-6-2-400
    Memory: 256meg Sdram
    Video: G200 16meg SGRAM AGP
    Creative Labs Voodoo II 12 meg pci
    Monitor: Philips 19"

Any help is much appreciated!

Betty

------------------
    Blonde is a state of mind!

I had the same problem. The only way I could fix it was to format the hard drive and start over. Install the new VIA drivers before the powerdesk software.
    Mine: Epox EP-8KTA3, Matrox G400 32mb DH + RRG, Athlon 1.2/266, 256mb, WD 30gb ATA100, Pio 32x CDROM, Adaptec 2940U2W, WD 18.3GB 10k U2W, Yamaha CDRW4416, Pio DVD-303, Scsi Zip 100, Seagate 10/20 Gb tape, SBlive platinum, Linksys 10/100 nic, HP 712c printer, HP 6200 scanner, Linksys 4port cable router, Linksys 2port print server/switch
    Hers: Epox EP-3VSA, G400 32mb SH, PIII 750, 256mb, WD 10gb, Pio 6x DVD, Zip 250, Diamond S90, Linksys 10/100 nic

Comment

Betty did you check the bios? On the 503+ board there was a setting, I think "write pipeline cache", this needs to be turned off in the bios to keep the video from corrupting. Some other people will tell you to turn off "read around write" that never had effect on my board. Its been a while since I had my VA503+, it currently resides in my girlfriends computer.

------------------
      Epox MVP3G-M, K6/2-450, 256 meg PC100, G400 SGRAM 32 meg single, Diamond Monster 3DII 8meg SLI, Ensoniq Audio PCI, WD 6.4 HD, Toshiba 32x, Toshiba 12x SCSI, Diamond Fireport 20, Yamaha 4x6 CD writer SCSI, Generic NEC2000 network card, Viewsonic E771 monitor Win95 OSR 2.1.

MSI K7Pro, Athlon600, 256 meg PC100, G400 SGRAM 32 meg single, Ensoniq Audio PCI, WD 13 gig HD, Plextor 40 max SCSI, Diamond Fireport 20, Yamaha 4x6 CD writer SCSI, Generic NEC2000 network card,
      Viewsonic E771 monitor Win98 SE

Comment

Hey, Betty--
        What I noticed is that you have a V2 as well (so did I before the new G200 drivers made it unneccessary ). When I did a reformat and reinstall, I had problems too, though not as severe as yours.

What ultimately worked for me was to:
        1) set the video to VGA (of course)
        2) uninstall *both* the PD and the V2
        3) reboot to safe mode and remove all video cards listed except VGA
        4) shut down and install the Matrox card
        5) on boot, go into CMOS and make sure your "video init first" is set to AGP and not PCI (I think it's in either "PNP/PCI management" or "Integrated Peripherals" of the Award BIOS)
        6) boot into Windows and let the G200 install. Tweak to your satisfaction.
        7) Install the Voodoo.

The problem I had seemed to be that the Voodoo, being a very agressive card, kept trying to do things that it's perfectly well not capable of, just because no "stronger" card was there to keep it in it's place. Johnny-come-lately's not allowed; once the Voodoo gets to thinking it's the only "real" vidcard in the box, that's the end of that discussion, screw the facts.

Hope this helped.

------------------
        Holly

Who has put her V2 in her roomie's new (in a way) K6-266 (be quiet, she doesn't play games! well, not like Half-Life, anyway, she's a bleem! kinda roomie) because now her [Soyo 5EMA, K6-2 333 not o/c, 256MB PC100, Millennium G200 8MB SGRAM, Win98] works plenty good enough 'til she's saved the moolah for the G400/Athlon rig [drool, pant, drool...]

Holly

"All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open ended program of procreative racial deconstruction."
        -Jay Bulworth

Comment

Sorry this stupid thing isn't letting me edit.

I may have been unclear. What I meant to say is, uninstall the drivers for both the G200 and the V2, clear out the device manager in safe mode, physically remove the V2, get PD working, put the V2 back in.

Holly
          Holly

"All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open ended program of procreative racial deconstruction."
          -Jay Bulworth

Comment

I'll have to remember to reverse the install process if I do reformat, as on the VIA site it says to install video drivers then the agp patch.

Also, yes I tried turning off the write thing in the bios last night, and it had no effect, but thank you!

I guess I'll pull the cover and try taking out the voodoo 2 and deleting the drivers to see if that works.

Betty

------------------

Comment

That seems silly on VIA's part; how quickly they've forgotten the experience with Win95, where you *had* to use a PCI card (hope you had one) until you installed somebody's AGP and/or USB patch. *Then* you could install your AGP card...that was a horror. Probably intentional to get me to upgrade--it's why *I* went to Win98...

Holly
              Holly

-Jay Bulworth

Comment

I had quite similar problems
                when I forced AGP 2x...
                You might try force AGP 1x...

Comment

Well, I've tried the bios write thing, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers and my voodoo 2. I just emailed limmmmm to find out how to change from agpx2 to agpx1. If that doesn't work, look like it's a reformat and reinstall <sigh>. I still can't access powerdesk, get the same error message. I thank everyone for your help. I will let you know if the reinstall works.

Thank you,

Betty

------------------

Comment

You can disable AGP 2x in the BIOS, if that's where you want to do it.

Also, what BIOS are you using? I had problems with some of FIC's latest releases.

Wombat

------------------
                    503+ rev 1.2a, 128MB PC100 RAM, K6-2/350@400,RH6 & Win98,G200 Millenium (SGRAM), no plans to buy a G400

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I am using the latest one, I can't remember it right now, but it is the latest. Something like 1.15 or 1.35.
                      I finally had it with the whole thing and did a complete reformat and reinstall, and even though I just have my drivers and email program installed, so far go good. Acceleration is on full and I went to a place where I usually lock up and it didn't. Also Powerdesk is active this time. I think as I install each program, I will check to see if there are any program conflicts as well.

Thank you to everyone for your advice and help!!

Betty

------------------

Comment

Working...
                      X