Your experience with a G200/G400TV...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your experience with a G200/G400TV...

If you own a Matrox Marvel G200TV or G400TV, your input is very important for me. Considering to buy one of these cards after all my research some important details remain unclear:

(1) Leave the TV tuner function aside (I know that NTSC is NTSC, and PAL is PAL). What I would like to know is if
    you can capture video from a PAL camcorder using the so called NTSC version of either of these cards. Can you record
    back on tape in another standard than the original one, assuming the recorder is appropriate ?

(2) I learned that M-JPEG consumes a lot of disk space. What I am missing is a statement what level of compression results in what kind of image quality loss. I plan to put the edited movie back on tape (Hi8, perhaps VHS) and want no obvious quality loss after that procedure. What resolution and what compression do I have to use and what amount of data is that per time ? Did you experiment with several video/audio resolution/compession settings and what was your experience ?

(3) After transcoding to MPEG2 with that included Ligos transcoder, is the picture quality still the same? And is it the same than capturing right away in MPEG2 ?

(4) While editing, do I need twice (original + new copy) or just somewhat more than one time the disk space needed for
    the movie ? How smart are those editing softwares ? This plays into what disk size I have to get...

(5) How does the Marvel compare to an All-in-Wonder. I know the numbers, but I am very interested in your personal opinion about capture handling, editing, image quality etc.

All your input will be highly appreciated !

[This message has been edited by v2rahn (edited 03 November 1999).]
Working...
X