Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bios Update 1.5>2.3 or else - Bios is still 1.5 - But why doesnt work it!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bios Update 1.5>2.3 or else - Bios is still 1.5 - But why doesnt work it!!!

I can´t flash my bios to a new ver.
    I have the G200 Millenium OEM (230 RamDAC, 8Mb, SDRAM) but the update under pure DOS from HD or RescueDisk doesen´t work!?!
    It displays me: Bios ver. 1.5
    File ver. 2.3
    ..... in Progress
    Bios flashes 4 Times
    ...........But on a reboot nothing changed
    WHY, please help me quick !!!

Hi Target98,

how did you check out that nothing has changed ?

------------------
    Cheers,
    Maggi

Asus P2B-S @ 112MHz FSB * Celeron300A @ 504MHz
    Heavily boosted by the Millenium G400 32MB SGRAM DualHead

Comment

Looks like locked BIOS... Get an RMA for your card and return it.

[This message has been edited by gbm (edited 07-05-99).]

Comment

usually a locked bios produces an error message saying 'bios could not be updated' or something like that ...

------------------
        Cheers,
        Maggi

Asus P2B-S @ 112MHz FSB * Celeron300A @ 504MHz
        Heavily boosted by the Millenium G400 32MB SGRAM DualHead

Comment

Perform a clear boot by holding F8. You'll get the menu and hit SHIFT+F5. You end up in a bare DOS.
          Now go to the folder where the files are and go with 'updbios.bat'. That has always worked to me.

I was once stupid enough to flash my G200 under Win98 in what case I ended up with the same old BIOS, as if nothing had happened. (PowerDesk reported the same BIOS version as before flashing)

B

------------------
          Excel 7.0, Winamp 2.23, Adobe Acrobat 4.0, QuickTime 4

Comment

And if you try it again, does it still say 4 times? Do you have Video BIOS shadowing/cacheing turned on in your BIOS?

------------------
            Cheers,
            Steve
            It's Only A Graphics Card!
            (But a damn good 'un!)

Comment

Will there also be a new (>2.3) unified BIOS soon?
              (Not that I have problems with the current one, I'm just curious)

------------------
              Celeron333@416 on Chaintech 6BTM, 8MB G200 SDRAM
              G200 8MB, celeron333@416 on chaintech 6BTM

Comment

Flashing bios,the process is rather confusing,I, too,went through the same thing.The 1st step ,On your hard disk is a file, setup351,if I recall.When this file is opened,it opens in a seperate file mga fold.The mistake I made was attempting to flash the bios from there.It seems that it goes through the routine from there in fact it even registers that you flashed your bios!The part no one seems to explain,that in mga fold there is yet another install routine,when this is activated,another folder is created,this folders name is mga.A line is written in your start up files ie. config.sys,etc.c:=c:\mga\setup Once this is done.From safemode-command prompt only,bios can be flashed.At the C: prompt type cd mga\setup.A new prompt appears: mga\setup at this prompt type your commands.ps.In the mga folder there is a readme file.Read it.If your bios flash froze,you would get no initial screens,nothing until windows opened.If your still seeing your boot up screens,everything is still o.k.Just figure out how to open the initial program to give you the mga folder.Good luck!

Comment

Boys boys boys, it doesn't matter how you unzip it and where you unzip the setup file.

When you run updbios, all it's doing is calling the progbios which in turn calls the proper bin file.

Why do you think that when you run the command "progbios binfile", it will flash your card?

If you want to unzip all the files and run the setup, all that does is create a small utility for you to select a monitor profile for DOS.

In other words, all you need are a few files to flash your bios. What are they?

Hint: Progbios, 1 bin file, and????????

No help from Gregorz

Comment

I tried every which way to flash the bios on my G200. None of them worked. A $24.00 call to Matrox just give me a line of bull. I asked the vendor with who I purchased the card to warranty and shipped the card back. The next card I was able to upgrade the bios to version 2.3 first time around. I have been given stories about not enough voltage on SS7 motherboards, instructions to remove all periphials except the video card etc.
                    My opinion is when the proper procedure has been followed and the bios does not upgrade it is permantly locked, period.
                    Good luck

------------------

Comment

Working...
                    X