G400 clock speed weirdness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 clock speed weirdness

I got my dual-head g400 today. I was playing wiht powerstrip and the memory speeds. Ive seen a few posts that someone had 190mhz mem speed and 143mhz core. Well, according to powerstrip, 190mhz mem speed is 127mhz core. At 200mhz mem speed the core is 133mhz. What's the deal here? Are people bullshitting?

Maybe this will clear things up. In previous releases of the PowerStrip it was possible to hit 190/143, but in the latest version 190 is a ceiling against, well, "redlining" -at or above it, the PowerStrip automatically adjusts the ratio between core and memory clock. E.G., if you select 189MHz using the memory clock slider control, the engine clock will be set to 141MHz; but if you select 191MHz on the memory clock slider control, the engine clock will drop to 127MHz.

Comment

Is it possible to edit the ps.cfg file to get around this?

Cheers

Comment

I'm afraid it isn't. But you have to keep in mind that the core (gclk) and memory (mclk) clocks are derived from a single master system (sysclk) clock, so the PowerStrip actually has to deploy two different clock "schemes":

Clock Scheme #1: At memory speeds of *under* 190MHz:

mclk = sysclk/3*2
        gclk = sysclk/2*1

Clock Scheme #2: At memory speeds of 190MHz and *over*:

mclk = sysclk/1*1
        gclk = sysclk/3*2

So if you select 200MHz, the sysclk will be set to 200MHz, the mclk will be 200MHz (1:1) and the gclk will be 133MHz (3:2).

If you select 190MHz, the sysclk will be set to 285MHz, the mclk will be 190MHz (3:2) and the gclk will be 142.5MHz (2:1).

Why two schemes? The maximum sysclk is theoretically 300MHz on a standard G400 (the PowerStrip cannot and does not currently distinguish a MAX from a normal G400). The *maximum* mclk using Clock Scheme #1 would therefore be 200MHz (300/3*2). It would not be possible to go higher than this unless one switched over to Clock Scheme #2, which allows a higher mclk but at a lower mclk-to-gclk ratio.

Since programming the sysclk to 300MHz would be tantamount to redlining, the maximum sysclk permitted by the PowerStrip is arbitrarily set to 285MHz, or an mclk of 190MHz.

Does that make sense?

Comment

Sounds very good

Thanx for the dig !

------------------
          Cheers,
          Maggi

Asus P2B-S @ 112MHz FSB * Celeron300A @ 504MHz
          Heavily boosted by the Millenium G400 32MB SGRAM DualHead

Comment

I use g200clk on my g400 now. Powerstrip is a POS

Comment