Noise in G400 TV output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise in G400 TV output

Has anyone tried TV out of G400 yet? The card seemed to show some very subtle, yet noticeable screen noises which I didn't experienced with Marvel G200. One is horizontal bar creeping slowly upwards and the other is still diagonal lines. They are not very noticeable while playing DVD movies or showing 3D benchmark screens, but you can still see them if you look for those.

Has anyone seen this noise with either Mystique G200s or G400s?

I just got the card yesterday and didn't have much time to try it out, but its TV out is quite a bit of improvement over Marvel's except for the noise. One thing I particularly liked was configurability of its TV out size. Starcraft finally became playable on big screen

thx,
    Nick

ok first thing check your video out cable MAKE SURE IT IS NOT RUNNING NEAR ANY POWER CORDS OR FLURESENT LIGHT FIXTURES/TUBES.i had the same problem with the tv out on a dvd decoder card it drove me nuts untill i realized i ran the darn cable too close to a light fixture. 90% of the time any scan lines are r/f (radio feq.) interference.

2 are you useing audio cable to patch in your composit video. if so that also cuases r/f problems. audio cables cant handle the signal with out picking up every thing else (its not rf shieled)

3 are you useing real cheap (less than 1.00 per foot is cheap cable)unshieled cable (even video cable can be unshiled)in witch case you get the same thing as 2 all kinds of r/f noise..

110-115 ac house curent uses a 60 cycle per sec. and can cuase all kinds of hell with video cables exspecialy in runs over 2 feet.

hope this help's

------------------
    Waiting for g400 to show up, while i go slowly insane. I don't have a warped mind do i?

noel

Comment

I doubt wiring is the source of the problem. The card is connected to the TV with some 20ft of TecNec S-Video cable. While it's not the highest quality cable, it beats the heck out of radio shack crap. The same configuration worked fine with Marvel G200 as well.

I suspect the noise is generated by the card itself as moving the cable around didn't affect the noise. I even removed all the cards in the system except for the G400, but it didn't make any difference.

thx,
      Nick

Comment

ok not the cableing, can you adjust the refresh rate for the the tv out ??

------------------
        Waiting for g400 to show up, while i go slowly insane. I don't have a warped mind do i?

noel

Comment

Hi Tron,

When you have a horizontal bar moving upwards, it's usually caused by a bad ground.

Haig

Comment

I agree with Haig. These sort of video problems are often caused by induced noise from a Earth Loop. Is the TV on a different power circuit? Run it from the same circuit as the PC even if you have to use a long power cord. You could try to isolate the earth on the TV or PC, by this I mean disconnect it on one only, this would break the loop. Double earthing (Neutral and Earth) is a safety feature so be carefull, but it should be safe enough.

Comment

The scrolling bar suddenly just disappeared last night. I'm not sure what change removed it.

Maybe it was the ground issue you guys were suspected, or maybe the card just needed to be broken in. In any case I'm crossing my fingers now hoping it never comes back

The faint diagonal static pattern is still there though.

Thanks for your insights.

Nick

Comment

Working...
              X