Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help, what am I doing wrong with G400?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help, what am I doing wrong with G400?

I gave up trying to get my 16MBG400 working on my machine at the office (k6-2 450/P5A/NT4), so I brought it home. Better luck here, but still pretty disappointing. Here is what I have:
    Asus P2B - bios rev 1008
    Cel 448 (4X112)
    128mb PC100
    Fujitsu 5.25GB
    MX300
    Dlink 530 CT+
    USR ISA modem

I am running the current drivers from Matrox's site (5.13?).
    Now, the problems.
    -the Matrox Tech Demos won't run at all
    -when exiting a D3D app, I get a fatal error in vxd pcimp. This keeps popping up every few minutes until I reboot.
    -no opengl (no Quake2, no HalfLife)

Good grief, what a nightmare. Does anyone have a clue as to what I'm doing wrong?
    Games Box
    --------------
    Windows 2000Pro, ASUS A7Pro, Duron 750@950, 192MB Micron PC133, OEM Radeon DDR, 15gb Quantum Fireball+ LM, Fujitsu 5.25gb, Pioneer 32x slot load CDROM, SB Live! Value, LinkSys LNE100, Altec Lansing ACS45.2, Samsung Syncmaster 955DF, Sycom 300va UPS

Video Box
    ------
    Windows 2000Pro, PIII700 on ASUS CUBX, 256mb Micron PC133, Vanilla G400/32 (PD5.14), Hauppage WinTV-DBX, LinkSys LNE100, 8.4gb Maxtor HD, 40gb 7200 Western Digital, Diamond Fireport 40 SCSI, Pioneer 32x SCSI Slot load CDROM, Pioneer 10x Slot load DVD, Yamaha 4416s burner, MX300, Panasonic Panasync S70

Feline Tech Support
    -------------
    Jinx the Grey Thundercat, Mischa (Shilsner?)(still MIA)

...currently working on the world's first C64 based parallel computing project

Well, let's start with the basics...

In the Bios, if there is an AGP/PCI boot order, make sure it's set to AGP first.

Also in the BIOS, enable the option to "assign IRQ to VGA"

If those are both done, check the device manager for IRQ or other conflicts. Are any IRQs sharing with the G400 (besides some bridges)?

Let's see where that gets us

------------------
    P2-350(@103*4=412), Asus P2B(1009), 128meg PC100, MillG400 32meg(PD5.20.???), CL SB Live!Value, CL PC-DVD, Mitsumi CD-R, WD UDMA 8.4&6.4 gig, (2)USR 56k(multilinked), 3Com 905B-TX, etc...

Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

OK, I changed the PCI/AGP order, but I can't find the assign IRQ to VGA..is that something added in the 1009 BIOS rev?

I used the Matrox uninstaller and reinstalled the drivers. It seems to have fixed the blue screens, but not much else. Some games (Everquest) work, but others (Mechwarrior III in particular) just crash back to desktop. And still no OGL.
      Games Box
      --------------
      Windows 2000Pro, ASUS A7Pro, Duron 750@950, 192MB Micron PC133, OEM Radeon DDR, 15gb Quantum Fireball+ LM, Fujitsu 5.25gb, Pioneer 32x slot load CDROM, SB Live! Value, LinkSys LNE100, Altec Lansing ACS45.2, Samsung Syncmaster 955DF, Sycom 300va UPS

Video Box
      ------
      Windows 2000Pro, PIII700 on ASUS CUBX, 256mb Micron PC133, Vanilla G400/32 (PD5.14), Hauppage WinTV-DBX, LinkSys LNE100, 8.4gb Maxtor HD, 40gb 7200 Western Digital, Diamond Fireport 40 SCSI, Pioneer 32x SCSI Slot load CDROM, Pioneer 10x Slot load DVD, Yamaha 4416s burner, MX300, Panasonic Panasync S70

Feline Tech Support
      -------------

Comment

I don't think Mech warrior III not working is due to your problems. I haven't been able to get it to work on either the G200 or G400 with 4.26, 5.12 or 5.13 drivers. It crashes to the Desktop and will work only on V2 SLI setup.
        MSI K7Pro, Athlon600, 256 meg PC100, G400 SGRAM 32 meg single, Ensoniq Audio PCI, WD 13 gig HD, Plextor 40 max SCSI, Diamond Fireport 20, Yamaha 4x6 CD writer SCSI, Generic NEC2000 network card,
        Viewsonic E771 monitor Win98 SE

Comment

I just looked in my bios...they must have removed that option, and enabled it all the time.

What does your Windows device manager show for IRQs?

And what OS are you running this on? You told us the one at your office is NT, but didn't mention what your home system's is...
          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

i noticved you have a mx300 sound card. your problem is more than likely irq related. i installed one of those in a system i couldn't get video working. untill i noticed that windows was haveing problems assigning irq's
            mx300 in the shuttle moonwalker board wanted to use 3 irq's. check your irq assignments make sure that the sound card is not trying to share with the video card. if it is see if you can reasign the irq for your printer port (i dout it) what i ended up doing disableing the 401 midi funtion of the card freeing up a irq (that the video card wanted to use.) other things you can try if you are useing both ide chanles in your system but only two devices. turn off the secondary ide and use the primary as master/slave. (freeing up irq's ). try it it just may fix your problem.

------------------
            Waiting for g400 to show up, while i go slowly insane. I don't have a warped mind do i?

noel

Comment

OK, I'm running Win98 here at home.
              I have both onboard serial ports and the parallel port on my P2B disabled. IRQ's are as follows:
              0 system timer
              1 keyboard
              2 prog int controller
              3 USR int modem
              4 Vortex PCI audio
              4 Vortex multifunct platform
              4 IRQ holder
              5 Intel PCI to USB controller
              6 floppy
              7 Printer port (which should be disabled ?)
              8 CMOS clock
              9 Vortex SB emulation
              10 Dlink 530
              11 Matrox Millenium G400
              11 IRQ holder
              12 Wheelmouse
              13 NDP
              14 Primary IDE
              14 Intel IDE Controller
              15 Secondary IDE
              15 Intel IDE Controller

I've got to get to work, but I'm just going to format the drive tonite and see what happens. I have a feeling that my OGL probs stem from having tried that 3dfx ICD about a month ago. I did get HalfLife running in D3D, so it seems d3d is working OK. I have to say again that the Expendable demo looks absolutely stunning. Those guys at Rage have got their eye candy figured out...now if they could just write a decent game
              Later guys..and thanks for the help.

Games Box
              --------------

Video Box
              ------

Feline Tech Support
              -------------

Comment

Other things to remember are:

ACPI and USB both use an IRQ, but don't always enumerate it. You may have to move stuff around from slot to slot to make it all work. For example, in my BX6 v2, the slots are as follows:

AGP -> IRQ A
                PCI1 -> IRQ A
                PCI2 -> IRQ B
                PCI3 -> IRQ C
                PCI4 -> IRQ D
                PCI5 -> IRQ D
                USB -> IRQ D

So I really only have 2 unique IRQ's other than the video card. That's tough considering I have 5 PCI cards! It's a good thing some of them share well.

- Gurm
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                If only life were as easy as you
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                If only life were as easy as you
                I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                X