G400 and SCSI DVD drives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 and SCSI DVD drives

Has anyone tried using the G400 with a SCSI DVDROM. I gave up on the G200 + DVD with the Zoran software.
    Mine: Epox EP-8KTA3, Matrox G400 32mb DH + RRG, Athlon 1.2/266, 256mb, WD 30gb ATA100, Pio 32x CDROM, Adaptec 2940U2W, WD 18.3GB 10k U2W, Yamaha CDRW4416, Pio DVD-303, Scsi Zip 100, Seagate 10/20 Gb tape, SBlive platinum, Linksys 10/100 nic, HP 712c printer, HP 6200 scanner, Linksys 4port cable router, Linksys 2port print server/switch
    Hers: Epox EP-3VSA, G400 32mb SH, PIII 750, 256mb, WD 10gb, Pio 6x DVD, Zip 250, Diamond S90, Linksys 10/100 nic

I have a Pioneer 303S and I couldn't the thing to work. If there is a DVD in the drive, the thing just hangs. It seems I get stuck in SCSI RESET mode or something because the I see the HD light just staying on.

Comment

Thats the same drive I have. I guess its time to go elsewhere for a video card.
      Mine: Epox EP-8KTA3, Matrox G400 32mb DH + RRG, Athlon 1.2/266, 256mb, WD 30gb ATA100, Pio 32x CDROM, Adaptec 2940U2W, WD 18.3GB 10k U2W, Yamaha CDRW4416, Pio DVD-303, Scsi Zip 100, Seagate 10/20 Gb tape, SBlive platinum, Linksys 10/100 nic, HP 712c printer, HP 6200 scanner, Linksys 4port cable router, Linksys 2port print server/switch
      Hers: Epox EP-3VSA, G400 32mb SH, PIII 750, 256mb, WD 10gb, Pio 6x DVD, Zip 250, Diamond S90, Linksys 10/100 nic

Comment

That is just a question of an update!
        Cinemaster, WinDVD, PowerDVD had this prob too, since SCSI-DVD are pretty new on the market. Now every prog works with it.
        Matrox is definetely already working on that...

------------------

c'ya,

Nico

...heading back to space...

Comment

Weird stuff. I just installed WinDVD 1.2 and it WORKS! Output to TV works too using DVD MAX.

Comment

Miyagi,

When you say that it "WORKS" do you mean that it works with the Pioneer 303 DVD drive? I hope so... as I have a SCSI based Intel/WinNt system and have a 303 on order. I plan(ed) on adding a G400 to the mix after migrating to W2K (NT5 2072). It would be nice to know that I'm not starting off with any lowlevel hardware compatibility issues. Here's hoping... /bonzai

Comment

This is answering some questions I had, because I was going to buy a SCSI DVD and I do plan to buy a G400 after they are out for a little while.

So the question I still have is, do I have to buy a different software to get it to work or will the included Matrox software work??

Is Matrox planning on upgrading the DVD software, Haig??

Any suggestions on SCSI DVD drives, or are they all the same basically?? Actually the only ones I see are Toshiba and Pioneer.. any differences?? (besides making sure to get 3rd Gen).

Comment

Miyagi, thanks for the specifics. I am attempting to get 'my ducks lined up' before rolling the OS over to W2K. Even with careful planning I know how ugly this sort of thing can get - I spent all my free time in Mar - May doing the drivers de'jour with my Rage Fury on a full boat dual-boot Win98/WinNT box. As it turned out Half Life ended up running it's best under OpenGL on the WinNt side! Go figure...

Anyway, I think that what I'm hearing you say is that you have/are using a Pioneer DVD-303 drive with the WinDVD 1.2 software DVD decoder to play back DVDs on a (Win98?) system. If so, how does it look to you? If you have had the opportunity to make a meaningful evaluation of a Hollywood+ hardware DVD decoder would you care to offer a comparison to the 303/WinDVD combo? Thanks again, 'later /bonzai

Comment

I have a Pioneer SCSI U303 installed under Win98SE running PowerDVD. No problems. I threw the Zoran software in the trash as it is just plain junk.

:-)

AOpenAX6BC PII450(not o/c),100MHzFSB,256MB SDRAM(PC100),MillG200AGP/16MB/RR G200,Sony Multiscan 500PS,IBM UltraStar9ZX,IBM14GXP Diamond Fireport 40/Dual PCI,SCSI Yamaha CRW 4260, Pioneer DVD SCSI 303, SBlive

Comment

Bonzai,

Yes, its running on a Win98 system (i hear there is a NT version of WinDVD but I don't have that one). But, I would assume that a real hardware player would be much better than using this soft player. If I had a H+, I would def want to see the difference tho. Esp in how much CPU usage.

Whats cool about this card is that lots of programs seem to be supported for tvout because when I play mpeg files in Windows Media Player, it plays it to the TV which is *very* cool. I would assume any soft dvd player you use, would output to tv also since WinDVD worked.

Comment

I have a Marvel G200 with the same SCSI DVD drive, forget about Zoran, but PowerDVD does seem to work.

------------------

Comment

Bonzai,

Yep, it works great. I'm watching "You've got Mail" right now and its perfect. I don't know why I could never get any cinemaster players to work this drive.

Comment

Working...
                        X