HEEEELLLPP ME PLEEEASSE!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HEEEELLLPP ME PLEEEASSE!!

something has gone terribly wrong, and now my g200 will not be recognised properly and i can not get it do go over 16 colors or 640x480 res.
    This happened today when i just 'tested' the matrox uninstaller and reinstalled pd 5 - after a bit of playing around with g200clk i ran q2 and it gave me a few errors so i rebooted - on the reboot windoze's dos registry scanner ran and replaced some files and now whatever i do i cannot get my drivers working again - i have tried uninstalling the drivers manually and with the uninstaller then reinstalling pd5 and also tried 4.51 - even when using the svga driver i still cannot get over 16 color/640x480 res so im pretty screewwwwed
    anybody have any ideas what i can do next???????????? have i fried my card or something???? helpmehelpmehelpmehelpmehelpme
    im going insane

Tip of the day: If something works dont try and fix it.

You won't get more with the standard SVGA driver anyway.
    Uninstall everything (MGA drivers) and boot to safe mode. Then look from the My Computer->Properties->Display Adapters and remove everything. Then reboot with VGA.
    After that try the uninstaller, reboot, install 5.13.
    I can't see why that wouln't work.

B

Comment

ARRRGGHhh
      IT still dont work.. after the reinstall it boots me into windoze at 640x480 with 16 colors with matrox mystique g200 agp showing but will only allow me to change up to a 16bit color depth - the slider for resolution is strange as it goes from 640x480->800x600->856x6xx->1024x768
      if i try change anything it asks me to reboot and when i do it gives me the mesage "There is a problem with your display settings. The current adapter type is incorrect or the current settings do not work with your hardware."
      If i install the drivers without having a display adapter installed at all ie there is no dispaly adapter tab control panel->system settings pd5 does not install at all
      nothing is making sense, my head is going to explode

------------------
      celery 300a@450, BH6, 64mb pc-100 8ns, mystique g200 8mb (rv 1, pd5.13.020, bios 2.3), win98se, mx300

Comment

This drove me crazy too... sounds like you need to specify a monitor in the Matrox Monitor settings.

Try a standard type, like 1024x768 @ 75hz or whatever you think you have, you can modify the standard ones later.

Paul

Comment

there are no matrox settings powerdesk refuses to run because the drivers won install properly but i set my monitor to default 1024x768 (60hz) in normal windoze setty's and it hasnt helped =(

Comment

Sounds like a case for Mulder and Scully, or Format and Install. Whatever you prefer.

B

Comment

wonder if mulder and scully will make the trip down under for me hrm..
              my hdd screws up in dos for some reason it wants to take 169 minutes to reinstall winblowz, notha day wasted trying to fix this damn card

Comment

If you say that the card has been recognised Ok it does sound like your monitor settings . Boot into safe mode and remove any monitors which you have (the reason for safe mode is that you may have several monitors defined, but you'll only see one in a normal boot).
                Restart and, if your monitor is PnP, check what it is detected as - this may differ from the Matrox setting. If it's not PnP then firstly it probably quite old so check its capabilities, secondly set it manually following the advice of 1024/75. I'm not 100% sure if the Matrox setting and the Win PnP setting can be different - and if they are which one it will use. Windows PnP would be my first guess if especially if the PnP monitor is the 'least capable'.

Comment

there is no matrox setting - its an old gibby 14" monitor and the card doesnt get recognised properly, thanx anyways though

Comment

berserkk, when you get stuck in VGA mode like that what does the display properties- Advanced Settings show as your adapter - STD VGA or does it show a MGA-G200 with only 2MB of memory??????

Paul
                    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

berserkk,

if your hdd <"screws up in DOS and wants to take 169 minutes to reinstall winblowz..">
                      I´d say your problems has little to do with your graphics card.

Are you o/c-ing your rig?

rubank

Comment

I think it's simply a case of the unoptimized DOS IDE transactions.

For instance running 'smartdrv' before starting to install WinNT4 will make the installation process simply fly compared to regular way. (the copying of the files I mean)

DOS has no disk caching without smartdrv.

B

Comment

Buuri's right there. Always run smartdrv! Also, FAT32 is REALLY slow under 16bit DOS.

------------------
                          Cheers,
                          Steve
                          It's Only A Graphics Card!
                          (But a damn good 'un!)

Comment

Yes, that´s common DOS knowledge. But c´mon guys, 169 min. is more than 2½ hrs!! And "screws up in DOS" might mean almost anything.

rubank

Comment

Could be his oc'd FSB too.. It might cause IDE problems.

I once tried to run the WinNT4 install without the HDD caching and in the mode where it first copies the files to temp directory for further installastion. It took an hour for it to copy the files, while I then did it with smartdrv on with the score of 4-5min!

Don't underestimate the lack of disk caching.

And note that I was copying the files from HDD to HDD. If his doing CD to HDD, those numbers would make perfect sense.

B

Comment

Working...
                              X