Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to put into my forthcoming machine until MAX is out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to put into my forthcoming machine until MAX is out?

Hi all, like many here I want a MAX. Strange as it may seem, I actually want to use the full capabilities of the card since I'm on a graphics (3D) PhD and the DualHead would be so handy (code on one screen, output on the other... bliss...). Anyway my new PC arrives next week and since I couldn't get a MAX with it (or any other time in the next 6 weeks minimum) I thought, what's the point of spending money on a different card when the MAX will be out soon. Well, I have the bits & pieces to upgrade my old PC into a P200MMX (ABIT SM5 mobo, 32mb) so I could get a card that will eventually fit that machine when the MAX finally rears it head.

So, here's my question:

What is the best/fastest/most suitable PCI 2D/3D combo card for a Pentium 200MMX & ABIT SM5 mobo?

I was thinking either the PCI version of the Voodoo3 2000 or a PCI TNT (not sure which since they're pretty similar - maybe Viper550 or STB Velocity 4400).

Any suggestions???

------------------
    Ximinez: NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.. Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope... Our *four*...no...*Amongst* our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise...I'll come in again.

well i say go with the v3 2000 pci. its what i put in a p23mmx that i upgraded a buddys system too. i think v3 2000 pci will do the best job in that type of system. good frame rate for halflife and good compatablity. plus its cheap too.

------------------
    Waiting for g400 to show up, while i go slowly insane. I don't have a warped mind do i?

noel

[This message has been edited by merchant2 (edited 07-07-99).]

Comment

G200.

What'd you expect??

The new drivers are good. The OpenGL is much much better, and they are running like $80-$90.

Paul
      Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

you know i should kick my self (again) i didn't even concider the g200 pci i only owned the agp version. it still is the best card i ever saw and the new drivers are soposed to work real good. i still regret giveing my agp 200 to my brother inlaw. oh well my 400 just got shipped.

------------------
        Waiting for g400 to show up, while i go slowly insane. I don't have a warped mind do i?

noel

Comment

Matrox fan though I am, I must say that for the setup you are talking about the V3-2000 would be your best choice by a wide margin.
          my $0.02.
          Chuck

Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

I just installed a Creative Labs Voodoo Banshee 16Mb PCI card in a friend's system, and he is very happy with it (he had an S3 Virge). Voodoo 2000's can be had for $30 to $50 more, though I'm not sure how much more performance you would get due to your 200 MHz CPU limitation.

Comment

G200..with the new drivers, it's like a new card. And can be had pretty cheap (unlike the $170 dollars or so I spent last July for it..)

------------------
              Celery 464a, Tyan Tsanumi, Mill G200 Retail, Hitachi CM753 19"

Comment

Flux,

if you ask politely, I might consider selling you an almost new Cirrus Logic 5440 with a whole megabyte of memory

rubank

Comment

You can have a slightly used S3 trio 64+, Wait! Doh! (as I slap my head). I will need it the next time I have one those Bios programing disasters.

Gaming wise, I would do the V3. But if you want it for work get a G200. At least you could sell it someone who isn't gamer afterwords.
                  MSI K7Pro, Athlon600, 256 meg PC100, G400 SGRAM 32 meg single, Ensoniq Audio PCI, WD 13 gig HD, Plextor 40 max SCSI, Diamond Fireport 20, Yamaha 4x6 CD writer SCSI, Generic NEC2000 network card,
                  Viewsonic E771 monitor Win98 SE

Comment

Well, if you're only going to be waiting a couple of months...
                    My personal choice would be not to spend that much money. Go out and grab a cheap ~$50 buck i740 card. It's not bad, but it usually produces reasonable frame rates at 640x480.
                    Unless you're really blessed with cash. (grr)
                    Tilable Desktop Backgrounds, perfect for DualHead: http://bg.rifetech.com/

Comment

You can get a SiS 6326 with proper AGP2x DiME support graphics card with 8mb on it for around £15 ($25?). That's even with a TV-Out! The image quality is fine in 3d, bit blurred in 2d, plays DVDs amicably, but pretty slow in 3d, still playable though....

It'll make your G400MAX look even better when you get it.

------------------
                      Cheers,
                      Steve
                      It's Only A Graphics Card!
                      (But a damn good 'un!)

Comment

Working...
                      X