X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A response from Matrox re: G400 Max

Here is:
    1. My email to Matrox, dated 7/4:

When will Matrox store orders received after 6/11 ship?
    When will retail outlets begin receiving them?
    How many backorders do you currently have from retailers?
    How many boards will you be manufacturing per month?
    Any company worth its salt should have this information and as a courtesy to your loyal customers (and in an effort to keep them that way) you should be relaying this information. I don't know what you have in the way of a PR department, but I think you will find that the best way to gain loyalty (and hence, the upper hand in the highly competetive 3d graphic industry) is to be forthright and honest with your customers. It would certainly be a refreshing change and probably gain you some new ground from former Nvidia and 3dfx customers who are certanly not used to honesty and forthright-ness from those companies.

Note: This letter is posted on the Matrox Hardware web site with a note that it will also be sent to Matrox.

Here is the response dated 7/6:
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: MadMax
    Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 1999 2:13 PM
    Subject: Re: G400Max (also posted on Matrox hardware forum)

At 09:56 PM 03/07/98 -0700, you wrote:

When will Matrox Online-store orders received after 6/11 ship?

The G400 32 MB and 16 MB have begun shipping. There is currently a 1-2 week waiting time from the date you place your order.
    For the G400 MAX, there is currently a 5-6 week waiting time from the date you place your order.

When will retail outlets begin receiving them?
    How many backorders do you currently have from retailers?

Please direct your questions regarding our distribution channel to our Sales Department: insales@matrox.com

How many boards will you be manufacturing per month?

This is privilege information which we do not have access to - nor do you!

Any company worth its salt should have this information and as a courtesy to your loyal customers (and in an effort to keep them that way) you should be relaying this information. I don't know what you have in the way of a PR department, but I think you will find that the best way to gain loyalty (and hence, the upper hand in the highly competetive 3d graphic industry) is to be forthright and honest with your customers. It would certainly be a refreshing change and probably gain you some new ground from former Nvidia and 3dfx customers who are certanly not used to honesty and forthright-ness from those companies.

FYI, Customer Service have been doing a great job providing customers with information regarding their orders on an individual basis. Ship dates are based on order date, product ordered and delivery address (Are you aware we have been accepting pre-orders worldwide). How can we post one message to apply to all our customers regardless of product ordered, when the order was placed, and the country that order is to be shipped to??? We do not wish to provide anyone with wrong information, which is why we respond to individual requests regarding order status rather making one general statement. We, Customer Service Representatives, provide the information as we ourselves receive it. The information we provide is the most accurate information available for that time. Yes, the information may change the following week, which means that we, ourselves, have just received the new information and our relaying that information to our customers.

We are doing everything possible to ensure our customers receive their products in a timely manner. We provide the most accurate information that is currently available.

Regards
    Joan
    Customer Service

And here is the e-mail I just sent in response:
    Thank-you for your response:

The general questions I asked in my post - specifically, what will happen to pre-orders received after June 11, had NOT been answered by Matrox. I am very diligent about keeping up on press releases so that I can properly advise my customers. I had no idea what to advise them. The ship date had been pushed back three months and it is hard to make sense out of the information Matrox was releasing.

With regards to my questions regarding the number of backorders and the number of boards Matrox will be manufacturing, I am sure much of this is privileged information - but that is only because Matrox has decided it so. That is my whole point. Matrox could just as easily decide to let the public know what their capacity and demand is so that we could make a more informed decision. I realize that Matrox, like Nvidia and STB, are in the business to make money - but in the long run - by giving customers information that other companies will not release Matrox will win more customers than they will lose.

With regards to my questions about when retail outlets will be receiving them and how many backorders Matrox currently has, I asked you because you are a customer service representative and you have easier access to the information than I.

And as far as your statement that customer service representatives release information as they receive it - you have to realize that to the customer - there is no distinction (nor should there be) between a customer service representative and the company for which they work.

Lastly, I am sorry for sounding like such a sh*t - I spend a lot of my money, as well as others' money, on computer hardware and I just want to make sure I am getting value for that money. Part of the value is freedom from headaches and good customer service. I realize that you, personally, don't have control over the issues raised in this e-mail, but as a representative of Matrox, it is my hope that you will either be able to provide the answers or forward the questions to the appropriate representative.

Thank-you,
    Phillip

I don't think this is the right way to get value for your money

Chaosers,Shlooky

Comment

Your last paragraph helps, but I feel sorry for these front line Matrox people. I know exactly how they feel through my work in technical support - taking flak for relaying other people's information.

All you had to ask was when the cards will be available.

------------------
      Cheers,
      Steve
      It's Only A Graphics Card!
      (But a damn good 'un!)

Comment

I think Matrox deserves all the flack in the world right now, considering the fact that they can't provide accurate information on the availability of their cards on their website, and given the fact that they pushed back the release of the MAX a number of times.

Comment

I think Matrox deserves all the flack in the world right now, considering the fact that they can't provide accurate information on the availability of their cards on their website, and given the fact that they pushed back the release of the MAX a number of times.

Comment

Comment

OK, but we all know that the MAXes are delated for one reason or another. Why keep going on about it? They will be doing their best to sort it, after all they're loosing sales through delays.

------------------
              Cheers,
              Steve
              It's Only A Graphics Card!
              (But a damn good 'un!)

Comment

The only reason we keep asking, is because Matrox hasn't said anything... they say that the max's ordered before june 12th (maybe?) should be shipped this week. Of course we expect reports from anyone recieving them...
                Beyond that, nothing. The retailers seem to be claiming dates from mid-july to mid september. Obviously, the retailers haven't been properly informed, and neither have we.
                Let me put it this way:
                We want to give our money to Matrox. We want a product they can provide, and they can make a significant profit on it. Yet, for some reason, they haven't been able to tell us when or where. While there's probabbly a perfectly innocent explanation, fear and paranoia are spreading through the ranks of Matrox's supports like a plauge. People are greatly upset not by the fact that Matrox seems to have delayed their product again, but that they haven't said they have. If there have been no delays, a simple word from Matrox could cure everyone. If there has been a delay, and Matrox has a reasonable explanation, they could simply give it to us, and appease us. Since they've done neither, people have a habit of assuming the worst-case scenario, that being that Matrox has experienced some catastrophic blow to its final development stages, or to its production. Although this probabbly isn't true, Matrox isn't taking action to prevent this belief.
                We're not asking for a product on time, although we would greatly appreciate it. We know Matrox's product will be of excellent quality. We simply want information.
                Tilable Desktop Backgrounds, perfect for DualHead: http://bg.rifetech.com/

Comment

Yet another double post

[This message has been edited by Helevitia (edited 07-06-99).]
                  Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Let's tell the truth here now, shall we?

1. Matrox said the MAX WOULD BE AVAILABLE FOR SHIPMENT for people that ordered on or before June 11th in 5-6 weeks. If I do a little math, that comes out to be July 16-23 that they would start SHIPPING. That is the only official statement that Matrox has made. According to my calender, that means they still have 11-18 days to SHIP the MAX.

2. I also called Matrox and they have told me, and many other people, that the channels and retailers will receive the MAX on September 9th.

3. Matrox have in fact offerend 10% rebates to people that have ordered there MAX on or before June 11th because Matrox feels they have delayed the product some. Now, in my opinion(and it's not humble), Matrox is not offering the rebate because they are delayed(see 1 above), but because they want to show people they are trying.

4. Why buy a Matrox card if you are going to get that stressed about it? Go buy a TNT2 Ultra, oh wait! You can't get one of those wither until Septmember 9th. hmmm...

5. They told me that I will probably receive my MAX by the end of July and I ordered mine on June 27th. They have also stated that you can order right this very second and you will probably get yours by the end of July as well.

6. They will come when they come.

Dave
                    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Option A)
                      Suck it up and wait. No other company is any different. They all delay their products. You should know this by now. All the high-line models are in short supply, and are all delayed. This happens every time a new round of cards come out. Accept it, and your life will have less stress

Option B)
                      Get a regular G400, attach a fan, and overclock it (if you must have that extra speed). They are available now. They do overclock quite well. They run more than decently without any overclocking. Why do you NEED to have a MAX? You're paying extra for 3 letters and a fan. I don't have a MAX model, but I would guess they called it MAX for a reason...it won't go much farther if you try to overclock it. Most everyone I've heard from (myself included) have been able to get MAX speeds (and a little more) on core and memory. Save the dollars and heartburn, and get the vanilla model.

Option C)
                      Stay off the bleeding edge. Buy whats on the shelf in the store right now, and get something better when it's not so expensive, and in greater supply. Forget counting FPS, sit back, and enjoy playing a game for a change, instead of benchmarking it.

Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I gave in and ordered a G400 MAX just now after I heard Helevitia(actually Matrox) said that I could still receive it by the end of July if I order this moment. I was tempted to buy a vanilla but I resisted because I want every last ounce of power. I really hope I can get it by end of this month or early next month. Maybe if enough people cancel their MAXs and get a vanilla, I can Oh, have you beta testers still been getting new drivers? I hope that the ICD will really kick some ass when I finally get my MAX.

Comment

I also gave in and ordered a G400 Max from the online store. I called them three times before and each of the three different people said that I would probably get my card by the end of July but no later than the middle of August... End of July sounds good to me..

Comment

I will just add to Kruzin's option B ans say that they Max offers three things over the vanilla G400.

5ns SGRAM as opposed to 6ns SGRAM on the regular G400

Higher clock spped on the G400 chip

360MHz RAMDAC as opposed to a 300MHZ RAMDAC.

Dave

Comment

I'm not a pre-orderer, but I think everyone who is got screwed big time by Matrox.

There's no way they didn't know this spring that MAXes wouldn't ship until fall. They started the marketing and 'sold' as many as they could. Why? For the almighty $$.

Think of this, how much money they would have lost if they started their sales now instead of a couple of months ago when they did? Starting it now would have been fair for the customer but that doesn't keep the company in business.

B

------------------
                              Excel 7.0, Winamp 2.23, Adobe Acrobat 4.0, QuickTime 4

[This message has been edited by Buuri (edited 07-07-99).]

Comment

Working...
                              X