PDA

View Full Version : !!!NEW!! NT4 ICD and Drivers ((how do I install them))

tysoe
30th June 1999, 14:37
OK, I have downloaded the drivers only to find that it cant find disk 2!!! I downloaded the full 2.4mb exe and unpacked it into the default directory, another directory incase.

I then downloaded the whole thing in 3 parts and tried the same thing placing the path in the dialogue box, still doesnt work. Always requests Disk 2 and thats it.

Any help much apreciated http://forums.gagames.com/forums/frown.gif

Galvin
30th June 1999, 14:40
I was about to ask that, Looks like matrox
messed up. I even downloaded the ones
from matrox website and get the same
bug. You think they would test install
these before releasing them, heh.
Lucky its not a friday, then we would
probably have to wait till monday for a
fix http://forums.gagames.com/forums/smile.gif

tysoe
30th June 1999, 14:41
OOps!! what I am really asking is where is the elusive disc 2, I have downloaded every file off the FTP with the june 30th date, no joy http://forums.gagames.com/forums/frown.gif

Galvin
30th June 1999, 14:42
I was about to ask that, Looks like matrox
messed up. I even downloaded the ones
from matrox website and get the same
bug. You think they would test install
these before releasing them, heh.
Lucky its not a friday, then we would
probably have to wait till monday for a
fix http://forums.gagames.com/forums/smile.gif

tysoe
30th June 1999, 14:43
thanks gavin, its a real pain after waiting a whole year to find that they put it up incomplete, I'm going to email them just incase someone is around, probably have to check again tomorrow ((Fingers crossed and all that))

AD
30th June 1999, 15:27
Ok, boys, I have no one NT and G200 at hand right now, but maybe You'll try to find
those lines in mga64.inf

[SourceDisksFiles]
mga64.sys = 1
mga64.dll = 1
g200icd.dll = 2
g400icd.dll = 2

And replace with

[SourceDisksFiles]
mga64.sys = 1
mga64.dll = 1
g200icd.dll = 1
g400icd.dll = 1

------------------
AD

OrangeJulius
30th June 1999, 15:39
Welp, using NT4 & the latest downloaded PD drivers downloaded from Matrox FTP, I'm STUCK in 640x480x16 VGA mode.

Reason? See above. It keeps asking for Disk 2 no matter what you do. Even got it to ask for Disk 1 by playing with SETUP.INI, but no go.

HELLO MATROX QA ??

[This message has been edited by OrangeJulius (edited 07-01-99).]

Haig
30th June 1999, 15:48
Open the setup.ini file and change the following:

[icd_driver]
g400icd.dl_=544847|0|1|2|-4|
g200icd.dl_=545027|0|1|2|-4|

change it to:

[icd_driver]
g200icd.dl_=545027|0|1|2|-4|

Haig

tysoe
30th June 1999, 15:52
Hmmm, I have emailed tech support and the webmaster, with a bit of luck it will all be sorted out tomorrow as I'm sure they will be swamped tomorrow.

It's a bit annoying, but after waiting a year for an NT ICD I guess another day won't make that much difference, meanwhile I get to play a few games in 98 till I get out of 640x480 16 colour mode.

Mabe tomorrow I can finaly try out a couple of apps that don't work at all in MS softGL

OrangeJulius
30th June 1999, 17:02
Haig comes through once again. Thanks man!

Your INI edit worked after two reboots. Here's what happened after trying it:

First reboot: Error pops up on logon screen:

Initialization of DLL Winnt/System32/Mgactrl.dll Failed, Process Terminating Abnormally

The system appears to lockup after this, even though the HD blinks every few seconds. After waiting 5 minutes with no proper login I press the big reboot button.

Second reboot:

Blam, starts up OK, no error, CPL works fine, Powerdesk works fine, OGL screen savers work fine. Cool, tx again!

[system]
NT4 SP3, Matrox G200 retail 8MB
completely uninstalled old 4.71 drivers
128MB RAM, P2-266

jeepman
30th June 1999, 17:44
Congrats to those who have it working.

I followed the uninstall directions from Matrox's page before attempting to load the new drivers. I was running Standard VGA to begin the installation.

I ran SETUP.EXE from the nt4413_g2 directory. It went through its thing for awhile, but then there was no activity with the Display Properties. After having two instances of "Matrox .... not responding" in Task Manager I had to End Task one of the instances. This killed both. I then cancelled out of the display properties screen since it still said Standard VGA. I checked the registry and it had the new MGA entry under CurrentControlSet. I also had new files in SYSTEM32 so I figured a reboot may help.

No luck. I am still in 640x480x16. I then used Display Properties to attempt to load the driver from the mga.inf. It worked sort of. After editing the inf to remove G400 entries, I got past those errors. After a screen that said drivers installed successfully, I rebooted. The display properites say 1024x768, but I am in 640x480. The info is all Marvel G200, it is just not working. The Matrox Display properties won't even start.

I then tried to run SETUP.EXE from the nt4413_g2 directory, but it does a nice Dr Watson act. Shucks, it's late. I hope I can figure this out, but of course any pointers are appreciated...

jeepman
30th June 1999, 17:45
duplicate deleted

[This message has been edited by jeepman (edited 07-01-99).]

Tumu
30th June 1999, 18:07
I have a solution for one install problem and a problem to chew on.

I am running here at work NT4 Server english version with SP5 and unofficial DX5 and did the uninstall by following the FAQ. During installing the PD4 for NT4 the setup seemed to hang to the display properties/setting window where the setup changes the driver. I waited few minutes and then pressed ALT-T (Display Type) and the setup continued automagically.

Now the problem is that NT gives following error message when trying to run any OGL software:

wglinfo: *insert_software_title_here.exe* - DLL Initialization Failed

Initialization of the dynamic link library C:\WINNT\System32\G200ICD.DLL failed.
The process is terminating abnormally.

If someone figures out a solution then I would be pleased to know it. Hopefully my W95 machine at home will eat the PD5 and ICD without errors. http://forums.gagames.com/forums/smile.gif

-Tumu

[This message has been edited by Tumu (edited 07-01-99).]

j24
30th June 1999, 21:20
Yep!!
I got the same ugly response, when trying Quake2 on my machine (NT4, SP5, 128Meg, PII@400, G200-Bios2.3, Mobo QDI B1).
Unfortunately, Q2 is the only 3D app I got in this machine...
Any ideas anyone?

OrangeJulius
30th June 1999, 23:34
If you don't want your msg shown here twice, only press the submit button ONCE. http://forums.gagames.com/forums/smile.gif

tysoe
1st July 1999, 03:11
thanks Haig,

editing the setup did the trick, and Max works very nicely. I will be interested to see how it runs in apps like mirai, maya and softimage as these always complain about most low priced cards like the G200.

thanks again from a very happy chapie http://forums.gagames.com/forums/smile.gif

garee
1st July 1999, 03:37
I'm running NT4 SP5 w/ a Millenium G200.
Bios is 0879-02 v1.2

I have the following problems:
Setup hangs when attempting to adjust display properties. ALT-T doesn't help.
mgactrl.dll terminating abnormally on reboot and get standard VGA of course.
Attempting to use "Have Disk" button in display properties/Change adapter results in Display Properties hang.

I'm trying to update the BIOS, but the Setup351 stuff doesn't seem to like NT. Anyone know the procedures to update the BIOS for NT?

This is pretty ugly. I've never seen such a poor driver update from Matrox (maybe I haven't been around long enough). I mean, the G400.dll thing is absurd! It means they never even tried an install using a G200!

It's taken me about 3 hours just to get some old drivers to work again, but I still can't use the "Have disk" button. I've deleted everything (including registry settings), all to no avail.

I'd smash my monitor at this point if it wasn't so expensive!

ALBPM
1st July 1999, 08:04
Oh boy!! We now have five systems at work that we can't intall the 4.13 drivers on. All five want disk 2 even with manually editing the startup.ini file or using the new updated file from today. We can install any previous driver for NT but not this new one. All systems have the newest Bios.

I finally got brave and tried to upgrade my NT system and had the same problem as the network guys were having. It appeared to install Power Desk and rebooted. Upon boot up I got the "C:\WINNT\System32\mgactrl.dll failed. The process is terminating abnormally" error. When I tried to change the Display adaptor from VGA to Matrox Millennium G200 AGP it would keep asking for Disk2.

So,I finally managed to upgrade alright - from 3.70 to 4.07...LOL

Paul

garee
1st July 1999, 08:17
Well, I've been playing with trying to install the driver files by hand all day and haven't had any luck. I can't get beyond the mgactrl.dll terminating and still can't get the "Have Disk" to not hang. An alternate boot doesn't show this problem, so it's definitely something caused by the new driver (probably related to an aborted installation early this morning.)

I got the BIOS updated to 2.3, but it didn't make any perceivable difference.

Haven't tried screaming yet, probably will before too long.

Haig, any status or suggestions from the Northern Front?

Elie
1st July 1999, 08:23
Hey you guys didn't you see my post..?

Matrox relesed new revised NT drivers that fixed the disk 2 problem.

I tried them and all is ok now http://forums.gagames.com/forums/smile.gif

Regards,
Elie

jeepman
1st July 1999, 10:50
Elie,

I will try the updated/fixed drivers, but I have gotten past the disk2 problem. The real problem is the installation hangs during the Display Properties portion of the install. I have to "End Task" the install program from Task Manager. The PD files have been copied at this point, and the registry has been updated, but the display drivers "didn't take."

I have pretty good NT experience, but this has been a real hard to beat issue. I finally did get the Marvel G200 recognized in Display Properties, but it is still in 800x600x16, which is where I left the Standard VGA at. Quick Desk will not start. Matrox Display Properties will not start.

When I try and run setup from the nt4413_g2 directory, it crashes and creates a USER.DMP file. How nice! I will try a complete unistall again, but I would like to get back to "work" sometime.

Should I just wait for the G400 Marvel??? (And yes, I did hear G400 Marvel directly from a Matrox developer in person).

ALBPM
1st July 1999, 11:18
Elie, I've been trying the revised drivers all afternoon and they don't make any difference. I've NEVER wasted so much time at work before trying to upgrade ANY kind of driver.

Like I said I've managed to upgrade from 3.70 to 4.07 and that's where I'll stay until Matrox comes up with something else. Every system we have at work with a G200 is now at PD4.07. They won't load PD4.13.

Paul

Arnie
1st July 1999, 16:13
Hi, after installing the drivers for the first time no openGL application was responding, even the screensaver gave no response. I remover all the previous driver files but still no good.
So i formatted the C drive and installed NT again with SP3 and now the drivers work nice.
I hope this is a solution for some.

Lots of succes,
Arnie

Arnie
1st July 1999, 16:13
Hi, after installing the drivers for the first time no openGL application was responding, even the screensaver gave no response. I remover all the previous driver files but still no good.
So i formatted the C drive and installed NT again with SP3 and now the drivers work nice.
I hope this is a solution for some.

Lots of succes,
Arnie

------------------

garee
1st July 1999, 16:42
Doh! Format my hard drive! It's such a simple solution, why didn't I think of it!?!

I'll solve plenty of other problems at the same time, all that pesky data and what-not.

No offense intended Arnie. ;-)

j24
1st July 1999, 18:48
I installed the new PD on my system yesterday. In fact I've installed it twice, after performing 2 complete driver unistalls.
One comment, concerning the uninstall FAQ at Matrox, is that (perhaps) also some .inf (and their additional .PNF) files have to be removed(from \winnt\inf\). These are oem<x>.inf, where <x> is a number that varies (quick view the files first, delete only the .inf that contain %Matrox% under the version section. Take care not to delete infs from other vendors).
Both times, installation was succesfull (lucky me!!). But unfortunately, no OGL:
No Quake 2
No HL
No 3d winamp plugins
No 3d screensavers

Concerning the winamp 3D plugins, I get the message:
"Initialization of the dynamic link library C:\WINNT\System32\G200ICD.DLL failed.
The process is terminating abnormally."
when i load them with desktop at 32bpp, while they run without acceleration (using the default NT OGL) when my desktop is 15bpp.
The 3d nt screensavers don't run at all in 32bpp, only if desktop is at 15bpp (and of course they run without any acceleration).
The same G200ICD.DLL error (see above) I get also in Quake 2.
In HL i get the usual "not supported mode" when I'm trying Default OpenGL.
I'm currently running my system with SP5 (PII@400, Mill G200 8MB-Bios 2.3). From what I'v seen in the thread, only Arnie has succeeded and he is running SP3.
Is this the issue (incompatibility with SP5) or I have to look something else? Has anybody else observed the same behaviour? Could the guys that have succesfull installations post their system setups?

Thanx

------------------
Not too slow, running in Harken and Banks...

j24
1st July 1999, 18:49
I installed the new PD on my system yesterday. In fact I've installed it twice, after performing 2 complete driver unistalls.
One comment, concerning the uninstall FAQ at Matrox, is that (perhaps) also some .inf (and their additional .PNF) files have to be removed(from \winnt\inf\). These are oem<x>.inf, where <x> is a number that varies (quick view the files first, delete only the .inf that contain %Matrox% under the version section. Take care not to delete infs from other vendors).
Both times, installation was succesfull (lucky me!!). But unfortunately, no OGL:
No Quake 2
No HL
No 3d winamp plugins
No 3d screensavers

Concerning the winamp 3D plugins, I get the message:
"Initialization of the dynamic link library C:\WINNT\System32\G200ICD.DLL failed.
The process is terminating abnormally."
when i load them with desktop at 32bpp, while they run without acceleration (using the default NT OGL) when my desktop is 15bpp.
The 3d nt screensavers don't run at all in 32bpp, only if desktop is at 15bpp (and of course they run without any acceleration).
The same G200ICD.DLL error (see above) I get also in Quake 2.
In HL i get the usual "not supported mode" when I'm trying Default OpenGL.
I'm currently running my system with SP5 (PII@400, Mill G200 8MB-Bios 2.3). From what I'v seen in the thread, only Arnie has succeeded and he is running SP3.
Is this the issue (incompatibility with SP5) or I have to look something else? Has anybody else observed the same behaviour? Could the guys that have succesfull installations post their system setups?

Thanx

------------------
Not too slow, running in Harken and Banks...

SteveC
1st July 1999, 22:04
What happens at 16bit? 8bit, 15bit and 24bit are not hardware accelerated modes, so avoid those.

------------------
Cheers,
Steve
It's Only A Graphics Card!
(But a damn good 'un!)

j24
1st July 1999, 23:07
OK, OK, it works!!
I forgot I had installed the bootleg DX5. I read in another thread that the new ICD doesn't work with it.
I unistalled DX5 manually (if anybody needs help on that, I can provide) and the games (Quake2 & HL) work (although quite slow, and with a great problem in underwater scenes of HL. If anyone has any ideas...).
BUT:
NT screensavers don't work accelerated. In 32bpp they don't work at all, while (SteveC) at 16bpp they are as slow as before. But perhaps that an MS problem.
Winamp plugins, also, don't work accelerated (whatever bpp my dektop is). I'm reffering to the "Prince's 3D OpenGL plugins". This might be, also, prince's problem.
Anyway, the point is:
UNINSTALL BOOTLEG DX5!!!

Scytale
1st July 1999, 23:30
I guess I'm sorta lucky. Q2 and Q3test both seem to run well. It's slow -I wouldn't call it a gaming ICD- but it works. Switching from window to full screen messes up, but that's about it.

I was running NT4SP5, PD 4.07 (@16bpp), just switched to VGA, closed all (tray-) programs, and installed 4.13. I didn't even uninstall the old powerdesk. Had to remove the g400icd line from the setup.ini file though.

Redmo
2nd July 1999, 00:11
Well I seem to be one of the few who hasn't had much trouble with the install, although it wasn't quite as clean and easy as it could've been. A quick rundown of what happened in my case:

First updated G200 BIOS (I was still at 1.2, believe it or not).

Set NT to 640x480 VGA, rebooted.

Uninstalled old drivers, although I didn't search the registry for entries.

Extracted files, edited the setup.ini as per Haig's instructions, ran setup. Seemed to go OK but install siezed up at the end. Task Manager had 2 instances of 'Matrox...not responding', same as jeepman said. Killed these tasks.

Shut down, powered off. Rebooted into NT. Everything worked. Picked myself up off the floor and started up Maya. No good, on booting Maya still tells me I don't have OGL acceleration. Damn.

Remembered it doesn't work in 24bpp. Change to 32bpp. Start Maya. No OGL warning - at last we have OpenGL. Time to get very drunk...

So how does it perform in a real OGL app? Well, there's good and bad news - speedwise it's a substantial improvement over the MCD, I would say (in the hour or so I tested it) that actual real world performance feels like it's between two and four times as fast as the MCD, depending on what features are enabled. Wireframe views are slightly faster, but textured and shaded views are much better in terms of both speed and texture quality (mapped objects are bright and clear, and update pretty fast). Even heavy duty stuff like X-RAY mode (this uses levels of transparency to let you partially see through objects) performs quite respectably. I tried lots of other bits and pieces with it such as hardware buffered OGL previews, and everything seems noticeably faster while remaining stable throughout.

There are a few problems though. The most obvious is what appears to be a sorting problem, where objects appear in front of others when they shouldn't - I'll look at this more tonight, since it seems to be more than just a z-depth problem, and may be influenced by colour / materials etc. OK, what I really mean is that by that time it was 2 in the morning, I'd had a few beers, and I couldn't figure out what the hell was going on...

So anyway, I was fairly impressed. Not perfect by any means, but a definite improvement over the MCD. The thing is, this would've been far MORE immpressive a year ago, today it doesn't really cut it for OGL apps with the likes of the Oxygen VX1 so cheap. A case of nice try, but no cigar - I'm still going to buy a VX1 or Permedia 3 instead of a G400, since 3DLabs NT drivers are far, far better than this (which I understand is the same ICD as the G400, is this correct?).

Sorry if this post has rambled on, but being one of the much disgruntled ones over the ICD issues, I was more than a little keen to see (at last) how it performs, and to be honest it's better than I expected. So I think we should give a big pat on the back to the coders at Matrox, and a big boot up the arse to the management.

P.S. I also tried it with 3DS Max, which seems to work fine, but not much improvement over the software mode (which is quick anyway). Seemed to cope better than software once the scenes got up to about half a million poly's or so...

P.P.S I had neither the time nor the nerve last night to try it with SoftImage. Given how fussy SI is about OpenGL, I fear that it may just vomit on my keyboard...

Redmo
2nd July 1999, 00:16
Sorry I meant to mention that I'm running NT4 with SP3 - SP5 seems to cause lots of problems with 3D apps, and at work we've avoided it completely because of this.

Redmo

RanDob
2nd July 1999, 00:46
Just wanted to clarify that the G200 and G400 ICDs are not the same.

SteveC
2nd July 1999, 00:51
This might interest some of you NT junkies:

<A HREF="http://www.theregister.co.uk/990702-000009.html" target="_blank">http://www.theregister.co.uk/990702-000009.html</A>

------------------
Cheers,
Steve
It's Only A Graphics Card!
(But a damn good 'un!)

Scytale
3rd July 1999, 00:21
And the card has a GA400 geometry engine???? Hmmm... we closed that discussion earlier, didn't we?

vidmar
6th July 1999, 02:45
Does anyone have any recommendations on how to optimize the ICD for Half-Life under NT4?

Trying to run Half-Life without any changes resulted in an un-playable, slow game. Not to mention that some of the objects were only being half-drawn.

Heh, new name for Half-Life with G200 and ICD "Half-Drawn".

PIII-450
196MB RAM
G200 8MB
BIOS 2.3.11
PD 4.13
NT4.0 SP5

Alan

------------------
Alan R. Vidmar
IT Professional III
Alan.Vidmar@Colorado.EDU
University of Colorado

LightHeaded
6th July 1999, 08:41
Redmo,

What is your basis for the comment that SP5 for NT4 causes problems for 3D apps?

Can you explain this, because I am using SP5 and not as happy as I should be with my 3D stuff.

What have your associates noticed?

If too long of a post, just email me.

Thanks

------------------
Paul Luntsford, LC
PLA Designs, Inc. Theatre and Lighting Consultants
NT4, AOpenAX6BC, P3-500, 100MHzFSB,256MB SDRAM(PC100),MillG200AGP/16MB SGRAM

Shlooky
6th July 1999, 09:01
Hi j24,

can you give us a hint on how to uninstall this bootleged DX5 manually from NT 4.0.

Never mind http://forums.gagames.com/forums/smile.gif didn't realize that I had dx3 backed up.

Thanks
Chaosers
Shlooky

[This message has been edited by Shlooky (edited 07-06-99).]

Redmo
7th July 1999, 00:01
LightHeaded,

To be honest I'm not too sure what the sources of the problems were with SP5 - at work we have used SoftImage 3.7 and now 3.8, and there were some problems with increased instability and random slowdown of menus and so on. Nothing major, but certainly NOT an improvement over SP3, and by the old adage of 'if it ain't broke' we went back to SP3. We've had no more problems since (other than the generally accepted crashes that happen with SoftImage...).

I suspect SoftImage was the problem, being such a stubbornly un-windows app. From what I know apps such as 3DSMax are happy enough with SP5, but there seemed to be something in there that SI didn't agree with.

I realise this isn't exactly a detailed or specific description of the problems, but I'm sure you'll understand that we didn't have time to figure it out - simply put, it worked fine on SP3 and neither SP4 nor SP5 offered any features we needed. So going back to SP3 was the sensible thing to do. This is really the only advice I can give - try running with SP3 and if your 3D apps are quicker or more stable, stick with it since you're not missing out on much with SP4/5.

Hope this is some help

Redmo.