No announcement yet.

The next big thing in 3D acceleration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The next big thing in 3D acceleration?

I hear that there's a new game called Outcast that kicks some serious bottom (sorry, I'm British) in the graphics department, without using 3D acceleration.

A clever combination of polygons and voxels seems to do the trick. Perhaps voxel-acceleration will be the Next Big Thing?

I don't think 'voxels in hardware' can be taken seriously unless it can be given a silly technical title for their support in DirectX 27. I believe this forum should campaign for a name obscure enough to be passed over by other chipset manufacturers, so that Matrox can get a head-start. They seem to need it with card delays (hehehe).

Personally, I'd suggest the following:

"Environmentally Friendly Eco-Warrior Environment Mapped Voxel Mapped Undulating Bumpy Voxel Maps".

Any other suggestions?

For the next best thing in the 3d (mentions voxels) go to thresh's firinsquad site. On there there's a new article about all that.

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve
    It's Only A Graphics Card!
    (But a damn good 'un!)

Comment

Well, I was only kidding... but if there's actually something happening, what's the URL to this firinsquad site?

I already tried "www.firinsquad.com"

Thanks

Tim

Comment

Try this Tim,
        http://www.firingsquad.com/

Bruce

Comment

I'd take that article with a grain of salt, for one thing NVIDIA is backing down on the NV10 == T&L angle, (expect the same kind of timeframe as you saw for the G200 ICD ), and the rest of the pack aren't saying much.

A 400MHz video card with more power than a K7 600 for how much money?!

Comment

Working...
          X