PD5 nightmare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PD5 nightmare

I followed the uninstall instructions, removed the traces of the old matrox drivers, but when I installed the latest ones my system no longer boots to windows, instead it hangs just before, or gives me a windows protection error and a forced reboot.
    Having tried to uninstall the PD5 drivers and reinstall my previously working ones, I found I got the same problem, also with the original ones from the g200 CD I have.

Basically, since trying to install PD5 I lost all video usage of my g200 besides for VGA mode, in the end I reinstalled win95 as that was the only option left to restore some kind of functionality.

I have a PII-400, 256Mb Ram, SBLive, MGA Millenium G200 with 8 Mb SDRam (AGP).

any ideas on how to get PD5 drivers to run?
    all the version up til now have gone fine.

thanks in advance

Your not alone. I'm having similar problems and am back to PD4.51 again.

I've followed Matrox's uninstall procedures and even wiped out all traces of MOC, MYSTCLK and any overclocking utilities that I have used in the past. I've also reflashed the BIOS with 2.3 several times.

After I install the 5.13 drivers and reboot I get the following error message:

There is a problem with your display settings. The adapter type is incorrect, or current settings do not work with your hardware.

It then opens the settings page for the display properties and shows the following info:

CHIP: MGA-200
    DAC: internal
    MEMORY: 2MB
    SOFTWARE VERSION: 4.0
    CURRENT FILE: G200.drv,*vdd, *vflatd,G200.vxz

I have tried to reload 5.13, tried to update the driver in Device Manager, tried to change the adapter in the display properties and nothing works. It just stays at 640x460 and 16 colors.

And also suspecting a bad file download I have tried installing from the .exe, .zip and the four individual disks. I've downloaded the files to my Zip drive as well as my hard drive and both at work and at home.

crusader_si, the only way to reinstall an older driver is to follow the uninstall procedures and be sure you are in STD VGA mode. Otherwise I get an error saying the driver does not support the current display adapter.

Paul
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

There might be several paths to go, this is one you should try.

Assuming your currant setup runs fine, make a fresh backup directory and copy the following files from windows/system dir.
      system.dat
      user.dat
      vgartd.vxd
      and all g200xx files.

If you´ve downloaded the PD5 exe-file just doubleclick to unzip it to c:\mgafold but don´t run the setup.

Shut down to DOS, from c:\mgafold copy the g200xx files and vgartd.vxd to your windows\system folder.

Start windows, uninstall the old Powerdesk and run the new setup.

If things continue to screw up, just boot to DOS and replace with your backed-up files, (remember to take out the write protection on system.dat and user.dat in order to overwrite these) and in Windows reinstall the old Powerdesk.

This way you´re easily back to where you were, with your old registry intact.

rubank

Comment

I tried your suggestion rubank, but I got the now expected windows protection error as soon as I rebooted into windows after copying the files from c:\mgafold (had to decompress them files using winzip first, though).

after that, it was back to good ole vga mode, I restored the backup and after complaining that my settings were wrong, it worked as previous.

This doesn't solve the problem with the latest drivers though. I'm back to PD4.51 (bios 2.3).

any more ideas?

thanks in advance.

Comment

Hey crusader_si,

Does your system give you the same errors and info for the card on the Display Properties settings page that I posted???

Paul
          "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I got the same problems. Read my comments in the gaming section.

Comment

I got the same problems. Read my comments in the gaming section.

Comment

I've tried a few more things to no avail.

I reflashed the BIOS back to 1.6 and tried to reinstall, I tried to install in safe mode, I tried to only remove the Power Desk and 5.13 still doesn't recognize my card correctly.

Paul

Comment

Paul-

Have you tried sprinkling the ashes of a sacraficial TnT around your computer, and doing a ritual dance?

Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Kruzin,

You almost forgot about the chickens. You can't forget the chickens! sheesh!!

Dave
                    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I want my MAX, I want my MAX, I want my MAX

Paul

Comment

i wANT my 5th grade toy now!
                        i want it MAXimally. dun toyo withme..

------------------
                        i am a jerk

Comment

i wANT my 5th grade toy now!
                          i want it MAXimally. dun toyo withme..

------------------
                          i am a jerk

Comment

Hey!!!Jerkster, Where have you been hiding?

Comment

Hey - jerkyboy! Long time no see! What you been up to?

------------------
                              Cheers,
                              Steve
                              It's Only A Graphics Card!
                              (But a damn good 'un!)

Comment

Working...
                              X