QuickTime 16Bit Bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QuickTime 16Bit Bug

Does anyone out there have a workaround for getting Quicktime 16bit (not the 32bit or 4.0 versions - they work fine) to work with either the 4.51 or 5.13 G200 drivers? Matrox has been aware for many months that running ANY Quicktime 16bit based program would immediately cause the Windows 95/98 Blue Screen of death. I thought Matrox would fix this problem with their 5.13 drivers. But, of course, they haven't. And please don't respond to this message with something like, "Just stop using QuickTime 16bit"...that's not an option!! We are forced to continue using the 4.33C drivers (they work with QT 16bit) until Matrox sees fit to fix this HUGE bug. Anyone out there have a workaround until they do? Thanks!

Yes!

FLswimmer, I was pulling my hair out trying to get DK's Enc. of Science 2 to work using Quicktime 16bit and suffering the same dreaded blue screen of death...

What worked for me was to change a line in the QTW.INI file (in the Windows dir). Under the [Video] section, try changing:

Optimize=Hardware

to

Optimize=BMP

This should do the trick - good luck!

Comment

Yes!

FLswimmer, I was pulling my hair out trying to get DK's Enc. of Science 2 to work using Quicktime 16bit and suffering the same dreaded blue screen of death...

What worked for me was to change a line in the QTW.INI file (in the Windows dir). Under the [Video] section, try changing:

Optimize=Hardware

to

Optimize=BMP

This should do the trick - good luck!

Comment

Thank You! Thank You!! Thank You Thornogson!!! That worked perfectly! I can now use QuickTime 16bit with my 5.13 drivers! Even Matrox tech support was unable to solve that one. Thanks again!!!!

Comment

No problem.

The only thing to keep an eye on is if you install something new that uses QT16, it may overwrite the QTW.INI file. You may need to check that it still has the change after such an install.

Comment

So it was a Quicktime problem after all.

Joel

[This message has been edited by Joel (edited 07-04-99).]
            Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
            Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Hehehe, WeLLLL I'LLLL Be Damned!

Comment

Thornogson, thanks again. Yup, I would know what to check for from now on. I'm a Systems Analyst with over 20 years of programming/hardware experience (no kidding). I'm not saying this to brag, but just to let you know that I'm not an inexperienced user Ummm, Joel, HOW ON EARTH can you make the determination that it's a QuickTime bug rather than a Matrox driver problem? It ABSOLUTELY still could be a Matrox driver bug. I'll guarantee you that if Matrox let me at their driver code (wouldn't happen), that I could find the problem and fix the QT issue in their driver. But I'm not going to belabor the point. And it really doesn't matter I'm just extremely happy right now that Thornogson had the solution to my problem! Thanks again bud!! Hopefully I'll be able to help you out in the future with a software/hardware problem that you are having. Now I see why people get discouraged when running their own web sites or posting to forums...instead of Joel being happy for me and saying something positive like "Cool, I'm glad you found a solution to your issue. I'll have to remember that one for future reference", he tries to rub a little salt in a wound. Come on bud be a little more positive Since I have all my outstanding issues solved now, I won't be back to this forum to post (or read posts). Thanks again Thornogson!! I hope you had a great weekend!!!!!

Comment

Joel
                  Some people don't like having their preconceptions questioned. I to have seen the problem with other cards. The last one I can think of was a Trident based card. I think this is simply a case of QT16 being older code which does not comply properly with Windows and therefore doesn't always play nice with all applications.
                  Ron

------------------
                  BH6 450A 128MB CW7502B CDR SR8583 DVD SBlive! Value Hollywood + AL320N USR Sportster etc. Oh, 8MB G200 Mystique too!

Office: Giga266A, XP1900+, 1GB PC2100. 80GB Maxtor, Matrox G550 Integraph 21", Sceptre 19"
                  Home:#1.Abit IS7, 512MB OCZ DDR 533, P4C2600 at 3260, LiteOn 411S DVDRW, LiteOn 481248 CDRW,WD 80G ATA100, Audigy, 2X IBM P202, Radeon 9600 Pro as well.
                  #2. TB 1.33G/KR7AR133/512MB PC2100. MSI GF4-4200TI, Maxtor 13.6/40G drives/Ricoh 121032 CDRW, Hitachi 8X DVD, AOpen 52X. etc.
                  #3. P3-700-512MB/BX6R2/GF2MX400/
                  etc. #4,#5 Various P2 with G400, G200.

Comment

Swimmer, read my reply to you on the other QT thread.

Read what I have posted there and then look at the fix. this should EASILY tell you what the problem is.

Haig

Comment

Working...
                    X