Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please Help me! Major trouble with PD 5.13!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help me! Major trouble with PD 5.13!

Hi there

I see most of the people getting excelent results with PD 5.13... Well, I don´t!

OpenGL is terrible, it is slower than beta2 (35 vs 39 fps 800x600x16 quake2 demo1) most of the textures are garbled, I´ve got the flashing textures problems everywhere (seing half life intro is sort of a psycadelic experience)...

D3D seems to have roughly the same performance in bechmarks, but in most of the games I notice a stuttering efect: it freezes for a half-second or so and then it keeps going.

This is bad, very bad! I finished just now a FRESH windows 98 install and it´s the same thing!!!

System: Celeron 450, Abit BX6, 96 Mb ram, sb awe32, mill g200 8 mb sgram, pd 5.13, directx 6.1, bios 2.3-11...

Please help me...

Thanks

Is your system overclocked? The Celeron 450 sounds suspicious...

Comment

I also get this D3D stutter effect. I am hoping that some of the very knowledgeable folks out here can help us out.
      I only get the stutter on NFS3, and sometimes in NHL 99. Other D3D games such as Star Wars racer run great. I discovered that in NFS3 the problem was the z-buffer, and this occured with the 4.51 drivers as well. Disabling this eliminated the stutter, but the game does not look as good. I played around with the registry and found that setting palletized textures to 0 allowed me to play smoothly with the z-buffer on. So how would I go about turning off palletized textures in PD5?

I have BIOS 1.6, and from Nuno's post it doesn't look like going to 2.3 will improve the situation.

Thanks for any insight anybody can offer on this issue.

PS Nuno, I hope someone can help you out the that OpenGL issue since this was the whole point of PD5

Comment

Yes, I have a 300A at 450 Mhz. Matrox drivers never gave me any trouble because of that...

The main issue is the performance decrease and d3d stuttering. I don´t see how the 450a could be blamed... and those currupted textures are always present at 1024x768 in q2... it seems like mipmapping errors.

Now as this wonderfull powerdesk 5.xx doesn´t have an uninstall feature I tried to remove it and install 4.51 drivers and beta2icd, and the performance is even worse! something is very wrong with these drivers...
        tried to install them again (5.13) and it´s the same old story. And yes, I uninstalled pd 4.51, deleted all mga*.* and g200*.*, registry entries, .inf file, before you ask.

Comment

Don't feel too bad. I've got worse problems on my non-overclocked system since installing the new drivers.

Comment

Well, I formatted my hard drive, did all the tweaks and updates I could and:

- stuttering in d3d seems to be gone
            - OpenGl ICD is a joke. I guess a picture would express better my frustration about these drivers:

In 1024x768 I get always this kind of texture corruption (this is a 1024x768 shot resized). at 800x600 it happens randomly.

I have lost 2 days for nothing.

Comment

Working...
            X