G200 with sblive and amd 350 = mayhem. help pls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G200 with sblive and amd 350 = mayhem. help pls

I have a amd k6-2/350 with a G200 and an SBLive sound card. When ever I try to install it windows locks up about 10 seconds after I logon. This same thing happened when I installed a PCI modem. Im beginning to suspect its an irq conflict between the G200 and any PCI devices, but im damned if I can fix it. When i try to move the irq resoures around the PC either doesnt boot into windows at all, or ignores my settings and goes back to its defaults. btw, the card works alright in dos, no problems there, but thats not the point, is it
    any help would be greatly appreciated
    I am using win98, not the se edition

what mother board are you useing? do you have a pci card in the slot next to the agp card.
    do you have a card in the shared slot next to the isa slots .? do you have free irq's left in your system. what chip set is your main board useing. can you get into safe mode with no lockups. have you checked for memory conflicts in the device manager.

[This message has been edited by merchant2 (edited 07-03-99).]

Comment

This happened to me too. Here is what I did to install the drivers.

Go to system information and then click system configuration. Then go to startup and disable all Matrox starup programs and any norton or cleansweep programs.

Reboot and it should work. If that does not do it for you try installing the drivers under win98 safe mode.

AOpenAX6BC,PII450(not o/c)100MHzFSB,256MB SDRAM,MillG200AGP/16MB SGRAM/RRG200,Sony Multiscan 500PS

Comment

I am using an FIC VA-503+ mobo with the via chipset... I have a V2 in the pci slot next to the g200, as this is the only slot the v2 will fit in, but the v2 only uses a port, no irqs or anything...I have 3 free irq in the system...I can get into safe mode and tried reserving/allocating irq2 manually but it still crashes out in normal mode...There are no conflicts according to the device manager...this is really annoying as I have a kick ass soundacrd and im still having to use a cheap and nasty isa card :/

Comment

thanks merchant, you've been a great help.
          I disabled the printer parallel port to free up another irq line and disabled a couple of options on the G200, bus mastering and 32 bot z-buffer.

There doesnt seem to be a performance hit so far and now the sblive and g200 are living in perfect harmony

thanks again for your wise words

btw, i installed all the latest via mobo updates like the miniport etc...

ive rebooted the machine 4 times to see if the fix is permanent and so far it has worked every time!!

[This message has been edited by GaspodeUK (edited 07-03-99).]

Comment

You said your system locks up 10 seconds after you LOGON...What do you mean you "LOGON"? You shouldn't have to LOGON to Windows 98 unless you are on a network. Are you on a network? When EXACTLY does it lock up? As you are trying to install the SBLive software from CD? Or as Win 98 is trying to boot up? Please list for us ALL of the cards you currently have in your system. You mentioned you have a G200 and are trying to install a SBLive, what other cards do you have in your system right now?
            If you can get Win98 to boot up...click on "START", then "Settings", then "Control Panel". In the Control Panel window, double-click on the "System" icon. Then click on the "Device Manager" tab. Do you see any YELLOW Exclamation points or RED slashes through any of your devices? Which ones if any? If you are experienced enough, the best thing to do is re-install Win98 from scratch. You should only do this though if you understand that you would have to reinstall all of your Windows software. If you do decide to take this option, I would recommend going out to Best Buy or CompUSA and picking up an upgrade copy of Win98 SE (Second Edition) and install Win98 SE. Don't just overlay Win 98 SE on top of an existing and running copy of Win 98. It won't solve your IRQ problem.
            Another question...did you have another sound card already in your system before you bought the SBLive card and did you take it out of your system before you installed the SBLive card?

Comment

ok that board is simalar to one i own pa 2013. amd k6-2 350
              check the bios settings for your pci/isa plug and play.
              1 make sure you have asign irq to vga turned on
              2 pnp os turned on.
              3 irq resources controled by auto
              4 do you have the irq mini port driver installed (from via)fixes some problems with irq asignments in mpv3 chip sets. ??? if not install it

seeing as you don't have a problem in dos, and you can boot into windows "safe mode" what is probibly happening is the windows drivers are not matching the dos settings. ie windows is trying to rearange the irq's and is locking every thing up.

if the above settings don't work for you. try
              this. (this is extremne but some times nessasary and may force you to reinstall windows.)

1 remove all matrox drivers from youe system

2 go to display propertys and change to standard vga driver.

3 in the device manager remove your primary/ seciondary bus controler's this will on restart force windows to re detect all hardware. com ports printer ports ect.....

4 shut down your system.

5 remove all bus cards except the g200 restart your system. install the drivers and get the card working as normal.

6 then install your other cards one at a time.

it will take a while but it should work. and if your not useing your external com ports for anything turn them off to free up some resources.

ive had to do this a few time when i was useing the amd/ mpv 3 system when i had problems installing some new hardware (pci sound sb pci 128. w/g200)

[This message has been edited by merchant2 (edited 07-03-99).]

Comment

Working...
              X