Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Powerdesk 5.13.020 install notes !! Important !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powerdesk 5.13.020 install notes !! Important !!

Well, there will be a lot of people installing PD5 tonight, so I thought I'd save the time, cause the question will come up sooner or later

To install PD5, all remmenants of the old drivers need to be gone. You cannot just install PD5 directly over PD4.

Step1: Uninstall PD4.x with the uninstall option, or through the control panel's add/remove programs.

Step2: Switch to a standard VGA video driver.

Step3: Reboot into Windows safe mode. Delete ALL MGA*.*, and G200*.* from your windows\system folder.

Step4: (if you are comfortable doing this) Run Regedit, and get rid of any Matrox, MGA and G200 references you can find.

Step5: Reboot into normal mode, and run the driver's setup program.

Step6: Have a party, cause you've finally got workin OGL!!

[This message has been edited by Kruzin (edited 06-30-99).]
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

oh shit now im realy sorry i gave my g200 to my brother inlaw. he dosn't know any thing about computers other than how to turn them on. (hes lucky they dont crash if he looks at them too long.)

------------------
    I spend way too much time and money on my 3 systems, and I can't spell worth a dam either

noel

Comment

And LISTEN to Kruzin! I don't want anyone coming with probs with PD5 if they haven't tried the steps above! OK?

No, seriously, we've found that this needs to be done if you want it to run as trouble free (is that possible?) as possible.

------------------
      Cheers,
      Steve
      It's Only A Graphics Card!
      (But a damn good 'un!)

Comment

I'll go along with Steve...

I'm not one of the BB's, but I had my problems !! So I added some to the above 'manual' for your happiness...

Just copy the 'manual' by Kruzin and print it out !!

My PD5.13.020 is working fine now !!

The real test is for tomorrow afternoon... I'll let you know !

Jorden.

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 06-30-99).]
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

Excellent advice, your warning has been added to the driver download notes with a link to the Matrox uninstall procedure in the FAQ section.

http://www.matrox.com/mga/tech_supp/..._uninstall.htm

Credit where credit is due.

Comment

I am still on bios 1.6 do I have to update the bios to install these new drivers.

Also, if I do NOT use the OpenGL ICD is their any advantage to upgrading to these new drivers?

Thanks
            Grant

[This message has been edited by grantm88 (edited 06-30-99).]

Comment

You should update your bios. There have been several releases since 1.6.

If you don't use OGL, the biggest reason would be to get Powerdesk5. It's totally re-done, and re-integrated with the windows display properties. Very spiffy. There have also been reports of increased D3D benchmarks (but not as improved as OGL).
              Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

PD5 has a nice Monitor Settings page that lets you interactively create custom monitor files. It also has an improved TV-Out page.

AFAIK the OGL ICD is not an optional installation if it finds the necessary installed files. It's integrated into PD5.

I agree totally with the above listed installation guide but would add one thing:

If you're uncomfortable playing with regedit try running Microsofts RegClean to get the cobwebs out of the registry. It may not clean 'em all but it's better than nothing.

I did this during the beta and had very few problems with the later builds.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Kruzin,

I'm still running Bios version 1.2 on my Marvel without any problems, what are the advantages ? (the PD5 didn't require bios update)

Best Regards,
                  Pertti

Comment

Wouldn't it be almost be easier to do a full re-install of windows???

Comment

Well for the first time I'm having problems.
                      I can't get Power Desk to install. I tried the .exe file and it will only copy files for maybe a second and then want to finish. The .zip file wants disk1????? And I tried the four separate disk files and all they do is copy files and then go to the Finish window.
                      I have worked through the Matrox driver uninstall routine numerous times and nothing seems to work

Paul
                      "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Paul,

I was concerned about the same thing, but thats all that happens. Just click finish and continue on your merry way

Dave
                        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Well I'm up and running with the new PD.

Kruzin, may I make a suggestion for slightly modifying Step 4 in the install instructions. Add something along the lines of any Matrox, MGA, and G200 references that *belong* to a Matrox key or is definitely a Matrox driver filename. Or just to be particularly careful just what is being deleted. I almost deleted some Matrox Overclock references before I slowed down a bit. I also found two games that had entries stating I had a G200 and found a driver filename with MGA in the middle (IMGA something or other) that I'm pretty sure doesn't belong to Matrox.

Walter

Comment

Woohoo!!! new drivers!

And oops... did I forget something?
                            ...install notes, didn't notice them before
                            installing.
                            I just uninstalled the previous powerdesk and installed the PD5.13 . Everything seems to work just fine though.
                            G200 8MB, celeron333@416 on chaintech 6BTM

Comment

I still can't get it installed. I went back to PD4.33 and that installed just fine(couldn't find my 4.51 file).

Went back through the uninstall procedure, tried to install 5.13 and nothing. It copies a few files to my Registry but dosen't install power desk. Also under general tab in display properties it says I have only 2MB memory on the G200.

Paul
                              "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Working...
                              X