Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

you guys seem to be the ones to ask this from.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• you guys seem to be the ones to ask this from.

ok im running a p2 350 at 450 on a abit bh6 cpu is unlocked and is clocked 4.5 x 100hz the pci agp bus is set at 2/3 to keep it in spec. the core volt on cpu is 2.1 every thing is rock stable i can't make this thing lock up.

any time i try and make this thing run above 100hz bus speed ie 104 turbo or higher i get random errors in ie and some other probrams.

heres my system settings / specs any ideas would be of help.

main board abit bh6

cpu p2 350 heatsink w/fan and sink compound

196meg sdram all nec w/ nec pcb's pc 100 (128 meg and 64meg

maxtor 7200 rpm 2500+ 10gig hard drive

linksys pci 10/100 net card.

agp voodoo 3 2000 (JUST PLACE HOLDING FOR G400)

cl 5x dvd drive

external 3com us robotics v90 56k modem

case temp has never goten higher than 30 deg. c and runs 28 normal.

cooling is 1 60mm cpu fan 5000rpm
    2 80 case fans one intake botom frount and one card cooler 3500 rpm
    1 90mm exhuast power supply fan.
    other notes: ultra dma is on in bios, windows dma box is checked, hard drive cable is 80 wire grounded ata 66 spec and is master, dvd drive is on secondary ied and is master.

no other compnet other than the cpu is over clocked.

------------------
    I spend way too much time and money on my 3 systems, and I can't spell worth a dam either

noel

this forum is getting more weird ever single day ...

I swear I hit the submit button only once ...

[This message has been edited by Markus Selchow (edited 07-02-99).]

Comment

Hi Noel,

I probably is your CPU ...

To check that you could try to disable the L1 and/or L2 cache from within your mobo bios and see if the lockups remain ...

Note that it'll take ages to boot without having the caches ... just wait a bit longer before hitting the reset button

------------------
      Cheers,
      Maggi

Asus P2B-S @ 112MHz FSB * Celeron300A @ 504MHz
      Heavily boosted by the Millenium G400 32MB SGRAM DualHead

Comment

i'll give that a try. i allso seem to remember reading something about udma messing things up so ill try disableing that as well. but if the catch's are the problem i'll live with 450 with catch than 504 with out. any other thoughts are still wellcome

------------------
        waiting for g400 to show up can be painfull.

noel

Comment

Try 2.2 volts. That's what I need to keep 103mhz bus speed stable on my PII-333.

------------------
          Cheers,
          Steve
          It's Only A Graphics Card!
          (But a damn good 'un!)

Comment

Check out the RAM, clock it back to 3.5x or 4.0x and see if the RAM will take the 104Mhz Buss speed to make sure... Then goto the CPU...

Craig
            P2B, 128Mb PC100, PII333@434, Millenium G200 16Mb SGRAM

Comment

sorry git the thing twice.

[This message has been edited by merchant2 (edited 07-02-99).]

Comment

i think it was the core voltage.

im running 2.2 volts posting this and running prime 95 t test. in the background no problems so far. temp is remaining 27 deg c. (mother board monitor 4.01) after a few hours if it still passes im going to try 112hz for 504. (my research tells me that this cpu should be able to do 504 based on the resolts of other cpu's in its lots.) well i coun't wait with 3 hours of t test i tryed 504 imedit lock up (bsod) vxd error. but i am going to keep it at 464 thanks i would have messed with all sorts of things before upping to 2.2 volts becuase i thought 2.1 was fine.

thanks for the info i will keep you posted. (if you want to know that is.

------------------
                waiting for g400 to show up can be painfull.

noel

[This message has been edited by merchant2 (edited 07-02-99).]

Comment

Hi Merchant2,
                  I was just wondering how you got your PII 350 unlocked? I had heard a rumour that the Ahit BH6 could unlock 350s and 400s via its software bios menu. However, someone told me the other day that this was not possible since the relevent pins on the cpu are soldered together, and therefor no software could over-ride the multiplier lock. I'd be grateful if you could clarify this to me (i.e explain the mechanics of how it unlocks the multiplier), or maybe point me to a web page which deals with this issue.
                  Thanks,

Comment

yes i unlocked it with abits low high bios switch. IF THEY ARE SOLDERED only the newer cpus are so you cant do it. check out www.overclockers.com the cpu database for witch ones have the best chances of being unlocked. intell did this on purpose so that on older 66mhz boards the chip could be set to run at 350 and at 100 hz 3.5 but what the abit board dose is send the 66 hz signal to the cpu when it is realy at 100 hz. ie multiplyer can be set to 4.5 when

the board is at 100 or what ever becuase the cpu is being constently told its at 66. did that make since? any way check out the data base you might allready have one of the magic cpu's.

PS im not sure on that solder thing it may be a romor by intell. i just happend to get my hands on a malaya sl2sf oem chip traded for it )and bingo i was a happy camper my system is now curenty running stable at 464 4.5 x 103 hz at 2.2 volts. i love abit bh6. 12 hour loop of final reality and 6 hours + of prime95 t test.

you could ask this same question at overclockers fourms to if you need more info.
                    also hit the hard ware reviews on the bh6 one of them covered the high low switch farely well. i just don't remember witch one.
                    ------------------
                    waiting for g400 to show up can be painfull. i don't have a warped mind do i?

noel

cpus tha't look to be unlocked MALAYA/PHILLIPINES SL2SF AND SL2S6

ok just checked my abit manule chapter 3-4 this is what they say on the sel/66# signal

default setting is high 100mhz and low 66 mhz
                    use when you want to try a higher multiplier factor at 100 mhz and canot chose it when in high state. (then thier is a sub note.)

note: according to p2/3 proccerssor types some p2/p3 cpus will have locked up (soldered ?) multiplyer factors and disable this signal. in this case there is no way to choose a higher multiplyer.

anand tech note's in its bx6 rev 2 review
                    If you happen to have an older Pentium II, one made before August 1998, you'll be able to take advantage of this feature, otherwise your chances are next to nothing. he means p2 350/400

[This message has been edited by merchant2 (edited 07-03-99).]

Comment

Working...
                    X