Disappointment (for me) with OpenGL Final ICD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappointment (for me) with OpenGL Final ICD

Beta1 OGL ICD worked perfectly with game RETURN FIRE 2.
    Now FINAL ICD doesn't work at all with this game (same as Beta2).

For me, the only reason for waiting for ICD was Return Fire 2, because I've already finished Quakes, etc...

How does it, that drivers are getting worse, even though it is only in this particular case (maybe).

Rudo

Are you sure you manually removed all the old files from Windows/system folder?
    On my system 5.xx OpenGL didn't work cause it interfered with old Matrox stuff.

Comment

Let me just add here that due to some clever wording - this is a final ICD, not the final ICD...

------------------
      Cheers,
      Steve
      It's Only A Graphics Card!
      (But a damn good 'un!)

Comment

Steve,

There can be just ONE final ICD, otherwise it's not a/the final one. And it still is just an ICD for games, not a full one.

Comment

Perhaps it's best to say that Matrox considers this a non-beta ICD, you know, the one we were supposed to get about a year ago.

Presumably this is better than beta2, which was worse than beta1. I'll find out tonight.

Todd

Comment

depends on what the meaning of the word is is

Comment

often a win 98 ICD is not complete as many functions aren't required in games, which is why a lot of professional 3D apps don't run in win 98 and only in NT4 if your lucky, So far things for me at least are looking good on the NT front.

Comment

Anyone tried Descent 3 or Truespace 4 under NT with the new G200 ICD? Not that I'd play D3 on anything other than a pair of V2s or better but it's HORRIBLE!! I don't want to get my hopes up, but if this is the state of Matrox's mastery of OpenGL, then NT guys may be out in the cold when the G400 is available. There's some serious catching up to do...

Comment

Descent3 is NOT an OGL game (don't know about tryuespace). The NT ICD has nothing to do with the game (or any other d3d game) running poorly in NT, it's got everything to do with the fact that NT is not a gaming platform, and does not use a recent DirectX.
                  Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Neither is truespace....( OGL I mean).
                    Athlon64 4800+
                    Asus A8N deluxe
                    2 gig munchkin ddr 500
                    eVGA 7800 gtx 512 in SLI
                    X-Fi Fatality
                    HP w2207

Comment

In my opinion, there is no such thing as a FINAL driver. An OpenGL ICD is a HUGE piece of code, and therefore it will always require bug fixes, optimizations and new functionality. If fact, a driver is just like any other software (games, word processors, compilers, name it!).

And by the way, while some people would like to see THE final version of the OpenGL ICD, other are complaining because they think Matrox are not releasing enough DirectX driver updates... Isn't that funny??

Comment

This is not the final version of the ICD.
                        It is the final build of THIS version.
                        Matrox will continue to release updated drivers/ICD (SOON!...check back this time next year )
                        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Guys,

"Final" means that we now officially support this in tech supp. It doesn't mean that we have stopped working on it cause we still are. New ones will be released in the near future

Haig

Comment

Haig,

Drop me a line by email.

------------------
                            Paul Luntsford, LC
                            PLA Designs, Inc. Theatre and Lighting Consultants
                            NT4, AOpenAX6BC, P3-500, 100MHzFSB,256MB SDRAM(PC100),MillG200AGP/16MB SGRAM

PLA Designs, Inc.
                            Theatrical Consulting
                            and Lighting Design

Once a Senior Member, then lost, then back again. Very expensive computers that run really fast, and don't really care to brag about anymore. This is, after all, just my job.

Comment

D3 and Truespace really do have OGL support, (honest guys, I've got both wouldn't make that up - check for yourselves if you have access to the programs). In fact both programs support 3 API's apiece. Perhaps these aren't these tests with which to measure OGL on a G200 yet, but the tougher the better in the long run.

I'm just disappointed with the way things look after so much time, it's been nearly a year already. No argument with the definiton of final. We'll jest haveta wait I s'pose...

--
                              Devoted to peace and death!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X