I am loving the new PD4 for NT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am loving the new PD4 for NT!

Awesome! I don't have numerical comparisons, but I am writing this while I am rendering a 400 frame demo .MAX in 3DStudio Max 2.5. It is taking about 1 second per frame in the "Forefront" and about 2 seconds when in the "Background" This is great. Gotta get back to do some 3DS again now that I have an ICD!!!

P.S. I used to use the HEIDI driver with my MILL II 4MB card.

Now if I could just figure out how to make Half-Life use the ICD instead of the VooDoo II 3DFX driver.
    Tyan Thunder K7, 768MB Registered DDR ECC, 2xMP2200+, Radeon 9700 Pro, Adaptec 2940U2B Ultra2 SCSI, TB Santa Cruz, Pyro 1394DV. RAID 0 stripe set on hacked Promise UltraTX2 with dual WD 120MB SE drives. HP DVD200i DVD+RW drive.

Good to hear some good feedback, after last nights bad drivers

To change HL, go into the game, configuration, video, video modes. On the left of the screen is a window that should say 3dfx miniGL. Change that to "default"
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

You will find that the rendering app performance in NT with the ICD varies from 50% to 225% above the MCD.

------------------
      Paul Luntsford, LC
      PLA Designs, Inc. Theatre and Lighting Consultants
      NT4, AOpenAX6BC, P3-500, 100MHzFSB,256MB SDRAM(PC100),MillG200AGP/16MB SGRAM

PLA Designs, Inc.
      Theatrical Consulting
      and Lighting Design

Once a Senior Member, then lost, then back again. Very expensive computers that run really fast, and don't really care to brag about anymore. This is, after all, just my job.

Comment

I too am seeing a great improvement in max, particularly when using nurbs and aligning texture maps in viewports.

If the G400Max has a 2x improvement that would be cool

Comment

I haven't tried Max yet. But I have A|W Maya, and the ICD works pretty well with it. Renders are at least 100% faster. Visualization of textured objects is MUCH faster as well. Quake 2 works pretty well and is very playable. It's too bad that it took 9 months to get it.

Mark
          PII 350, Asus p2b, Mil. G200, NT 4.0 SP4 & Win98

Comment

Jeepman,
            What service pack are you running with NT4? Will PD4 run using SP3?
            thanks, Bob

Comment

designer,

I am using SP4. I don't know if PD4 specifically requires SP4 or later. The readme.txt in the driver release doesn't specifically mention a SP.

I have the Marvel, and the Beta Matrox Video Tools require SP4 or above. That is the only reason I am not running SP3.
              Tyan Thunder K7, 768MB Registered DDR ECC, 2xMP2200+, Radeon 9700 Pro, Adaptec 2940U2B Ultra2 SCSI, TB Santa Cruz, Pyro 1394DV. RAID 0 stripe set on hacked Promise UltraTX2 with dual WD 120MB SE drives. HP DVD200i DVD+RW drive.

Comment

SP5 is doing fine on the systems that I have installed it on. I guess its a Microsoft type of thing.........

Comment

I have the new PD drivers running NT SP3 just fine.

The WinAMP Prince OpenGL plugins finally run sychronized with the music, cept a couple of them lockup with Dr. Watson errors now. (oops)

SP3 for NT was the last stable Service Pack MS put out. SP4/SP5 have been nightmares on every machine I've put em on..

Comment

Working...
                  X