Help: Markus, Joel, Haig ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help: Markus, Joel, Haig ...

What performance/behaviour differences, if any should I expect to see between a G200 16M SD and a G200 8M SGRAM (both with and without the 8M upgrade) on a VIA MVP3 based motherboard? (assuming latest BIOS & drivers)

------------------
    Dean
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    PDP-11, Dec-writer & ZD-11 Terminal Unit, RSTS-OS

PDP-11, Dec-writer & ZD-11 Terminal Unit, RSTS-OS

Hi Dean,

it actually depends on the revision the board is manufactured ...

My MillG200 was rev. 1 and without the RAM add-on I could raise the mem-clock from default 112MHz to 150MHz

My MystG200 was rev. 5 and that one went up to 164MHz without probs, outperforming my former MillG200 ...

The main loss when changing from SG to SDRAM was the speed of clearing the Zbuffer which dropped to ~33% on my Myst with SDRAM, though all other benchmarks exceeded the MillG200.

------------------
    Cheers,
    Maggi

Asus P2B-S @ 112MHz FSB * Celeron300A @ 504MHz
    Heavily boosted by the Millenium G400 32MB SGRAM DualHead

Comment

Hi Markus!

>My MillG200 was rev. 1 and without the RAM add-on I could raise the mem-clock from default 112MHz to 150MHz

How did you do that? Are you putting in in liquid nitrogen? Mine will only do up to 125!
      Did you just get lucky?

Regards,

Jake
      Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
      ----------------------
      Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Comment

Hehe. That's Markus for you. He is such a lucky git .

My Rev.1 Mill G200 SGRAM only goes up 140Mhz with some extra cooling (NOT liquid N2...).

Cheers

Comment

I can get 156Mhz out of my MillG200 at a push... no liquid nitrogen here, just a few kind, persuasive words. Talk to your computer, make it feel 'wanted' and happy, and part of the family...

------------------
          Cheers,
          Steve
          It's Only A Graphics Card!
          (But a damn good 'un!)

Comment

I think what Steve means is to ditch the thermal pad and put real heatsink compound under the heatsink, then stick an old (or new) 486 fan on it.
            Chuck

Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

No, honestly, talk to it! A few words of encouragement do more than liquid nitrogen will ever do.

I never had a thermal pad, but I did replace Matrox' 'silicon thermal transfer compound' with my own smeg (that's what we call it). No fan fitted to the heatsink, but a big fan next to it.

------------------
              Cheers,
              Steve
              It's Only A Graphics Card!
              (But a damn good 'un!)

Comment

Working...
              X