Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AGP 1x or 2x, does it make a differance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AGP 1x or 2x, does it make a differance?

I have a G200 Mystique and was running drivers version 426 and the program PCILIST
    reported my AGP as 2X. Upgraded to driver
    433c and the program reported my AGP as 1x.
    Went back to 426 and it went back to 2X. Cannot see any differnce between 1x and 2x,
    should I worry about it

Thanks
    Gary

NO.

Never has so much been made of a "problem" that causes so little damage ;-))

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Upgrade to 5.13 and see what happens

Either way, 1x or 2x doesn't make a difference in most real world stuff, unless maybe you are into 3D modeling...but it makes the benchmarkers like 3DMark99 give better results in large texture tests
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Is it tru that AGP 1x is an AGP speed of 66MHZ and 2x is an AGP speed of 133MHZ? If this is the case, and I am interested in running at 2x, would I set my AGP multiplier at 1:1 at a 133MHZ FSB?

-neo

------------------
        Asus P2B-F, 532MHZ Pentium II (4x133 at 2.4v), Global Win VEK12 hs/fan, 128MB Micron PC133, Maxtor 4GB, SB AWE 32, Creative DVD 2x, Mitsumi CDR 2x/8x, Sony Trinitron 17", Old Matrox Video Card, and a redhead with a pair of 36Cs (O/Ced to 38Cs)

Comment

gecoffin: Not a big difference, but always better to have x

neo: Wrong! The AGP always runs at 66 MHz, just the data transfer method changes. Go to my website for more details.

Comment

neo,

No, don't do that!
            AFAIK, the AGP bus runs at 66 MHz and AGP 2x simply means that twice as much data is sent in one AGP clock cycle, but the AGP clock frequency is the same.

Right now you are probably already overclocking the AGP bus by 33% at 89 MHz. Setting the AGP clock with a 1:1 divider (instead of a 2:3 divider) to 133 MHz means an additional overclocking factor of 1.5, which is probably not very healthy for your hardware.

G200 8MB, celeron333@416 on chaintech 6BTM

Comment

Tried 5.13, still reports AGP1X only,
              bad news unable to remove 5.13 until matrox
              writes a program to do so.

Gary

Comment

Working...
              X