• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowest Spec DVD...

i had similar probs on my system:

k6-2 @475mHz (105mHz FSB)
    TNT2 Ultra 32MB
    128MB 7ns system RAM

The only sw player that was any good speed wise was Xing 2.03 with a PAL fix, but it suffered screen corruption after a few minutes (bad video driver? directx7? heat?). And you could tell that it was probably only doing 23.9fps or something ...

so...

£60 later and i have hw playback, superior in every sense and let's me pipe the signal downstairs to the TV.

i think that any pc with mmx and a free pci slot would do the job with hw playback...

[This message has been edited by miker (edited 31 October 1999).]

I am downloading the 4 in 1 driver as we speak... I will give it a try. One thing I forgot to mention, when I first got this m/b I tried the UDMA drivers, and it caused problems on my original CDROM, so I uninstalled it. I use Win98, which, according to the docs, has it already. I also tried turning DMA on as recommended by Matrox in their Docs, and the DVD wouldnt play, it said that it couldn't unencrypt the disk. Do you use the same DVD-ROM drive as me? If so, do you have DMA turned on?

Another piece of info, I ran System Monitor with the DVD yesterday, and it was permanently at 100%, but an MPEG2 movie I had (which plays fine) only used about 65%.

Unfortuantly, I have now returned the rental movie from last night, so the MPEG2 movie is the only thing I have to test it - should I expect a downturn in CPU usage with the new drivers? And how else can I test it without a DVD movie?

Thanks,

Richie
    -------------------------
    Systems:

Mine :
    AMD K6-2 400
    FIC VA-503+
    64MB PC-100
    Matrox G400
    17GB HD
    36x CD-ROM
    Logictec Trackman Marble +

Hers:
    AMD K6-2 450
    FIC VA-503+
    64MB
    Matrox Mystique 220
    Voodoo 2
    2GB HD
    6.4GB HD
    6x CD-ROM

Spare:
    Intel P200 MMX
    TX M/B
    32MB
    Cirrus Logic 5446 (2MB)
    Voodoo 1
    2GB HD
    24x SCSI CD-ROM
    2x2x6 SCSI RICOH MP6200S CD-ReWriter

Comment

Lowest Spec DVD...

Hi,

I know this question is probably one of the 'fabled few' but I can't find anything on search, so I ask it again (and risk getting flamed!!)

Yesterday I brought a Pioneer DVD-A03S unit, and I already have a Matrox Millenium G400 32MB DH on board. The machine is a AMD K6-2 400 (not o/c) with 64MB of PC-100 memory. I was expecting (probably very stupidly) to be able to use the DH capablity to play a DVD movie on my TV. Last night I rented a movie, and low and behold, it was very jerky, unwatchable in fact. Anyway, my question is, what is the lowest spec machine that this sort of setup has been proved on? Would a K6-3 do the trick, or should I move to an Athlon (I have a pet hate of Intel!)

Thanks for your advice everybody!

Cheers,

Richie

------------------
      Systems:

Mine :
      AMD K6-2 400
      FIC VA-503+
      64MB PC-100
      Matrox G400
      17GB HD
      36x CD-ROM

Hers:
      AMD K6-2 450
      FIC VA-503+
      64MB
      Matrox Mystique 220
      Voodoo 2
      2GB HD
      6.4GB HD
      6x CD-ROM

Spare:
      Intel P200 MMX
      TX M/B
      32MB
      Cirrus Logic 5446 (2MB)
      Voodoo 1
      2GB HD
      24x SCSI CD-ROM
      Systems:

Mine :
      AMD K6-2 400
      FIC VA-503+
      64MB PC-100
      Matrox G400
      17GB HD
      36x CD-ROM

Hers:
      AMD K6-2 450
      FIC VA-503+
      64MB
      Matrox Mystique 220
      Voodoo 2
      2GB HD
      6.4GB HD
      6x CD-ROM

Spare:
      Intel P200 MMX
      TX M/B
      32MB
      Cirrus Logic 5446 (2MB)
      Voodoo 1
      2GB HD
      24x SCSI CD-ROM

Comment

be sure to have the 4 in 1 patch from VIA and close down all you TSR's before starting the DVD... I also recommend that you drop down to 800x600 16 bit. I am running the same system as you and it plays fine.

Comment

Working...
        X