Good 19" Monitor to use with G400??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good 19" Monitor to use with G400??

Anybody have any suggestions as to what would be a good 19" monitor to use with the G400??? Something that has high resolution but not too expensive. I have a feeling that it'll be pricey.

Seems like a nice monitor would be a must with this card.

i bought a ctx 19" vl950 from sam's club it cost 449.99 i curently have it set to 1162x864 120hz it will do 1600 x 1200 85hz it has a nice high contrast tube and every thing looks fine on it. i have yet to try it with a g400 but when i had my g200 on it i could not beleave my eyes. i think i could push the hz levels higher but why risk blowwing up the tube. oh ya the monitor controls are well layed out and easy to use.

------------------
    i spend way too much time and money on my 3 systems.

Comment

How about Viewsonic's PT795? Anyone has one?

I am looking forward to get one, since it will be cheaper than a 21" and still give you res. higher than 1600x1200.

Nick

Comment

I can highly recommend the Samsung Syncmaster 900P, or if you want to spend a little extra go for the brand new Syncmaster 900IFT!

------------------
        HBS - ASUS P2B-S, PII 350MHz(o/c to 392MHz), Mill. G200, 128MB RAM, Cheetah 9.1GB, Plextor 32x CD-Rom, Sony CD-R, Canon Scanner - all SCSI.

[This message has been edited by VIKINGMAN (edited 06-27-99).]
        ASUS P2B-S, PIII-550 (o/c to 565MHz), 512MB RAM, Seagate X15 & Cheetah XL, Matrox Mill. G200SG, SB LivePlayer, Plextor 32x CD-Rom, PlexWriter PX-R820T CD-R, Canon BJC-7000 InkJet, OkiPage 4W Laser and Canon CanoScan 300 Scanner.

Comment

I recommend the CTX VL950T ... pretty good picture and good pricing.

I use the 17" version (VL710T - 95kHz horizontal refresh) setting the desktop to 1920x1440x32bpp is just incredible

------------------
          Cheers,
          Maggi

Asus P2B-S @ 112MHz FSB * Celeron300A @ 504MHz
          Heavily boosted by the Millenium G400 32MB SGRAM DualHead

Comment

i use a ctx vl710 at work and it looks good too. ive been useing ctx monitors for years and never had a problem with them for the price you cant go wrong. when i was looking to buy my new monitor i almost got a viewsonic 21: but i picked up the ctx 950 19" 18"viewable for 449. at sam's club and havent been sorry yet

Comment

I bought a iiyama visionmaster pro 450 19" about 9 months ago when it first hit the market and have loved it. You can find one for about $675. Also look at Mitsubishi's 19" high end offering and Viewsonics 19" professional one. They are all in the same range.

Comment

So it looks like the CTX VL950 19" monitor is the choice for the "lower price, but still a good monitor" category. Saw one at Sam's (I Think) for about $350. Have to check it out.

So what exactly does the high end monitors buy you??? ($500+) High re-fresh rate and better resolution???

Comment

I've got a Hitachi CM753ET and I'm more than happy with it... Very good contrast plus it can do 800x600@160Hz 1600x1200@85Hz
                  It seems really happy to cooperate with my G200... 1600x1200 even unusual for 19'' monitors produces very clear, crisp, but small text. . 85Hz do a good job there. I wish I had AGP 4x and a faster crad to play Falcon 4 @ 1600x1200 :-)
                  PC Power and Cooling Deluxe Chrome Tower case and 300W ATX Power Supply, Dual Slot1 440GX AMI MegaRUM II motherboard, 128MB of ECC 100 MHz SDRAM, PII 450 MHz, Matrox G400 MAX, Seagate Cheetah 9,1GB @ primary SCSI Ultra2 Wide controller, Hitachi 4x DVD-ROM, Panasonic (Matsushita) LS-120 Drive, Terratec EWS64XL sound card.

Comment

Hquervo,

What the hell...

ViewSonic claims that PT795 has a true flat screen, how 'true' is that? How about the 1920x1440@70Hz performance? Flicker-free? Text readable?

I need thought that PT795 is such a problem child. Thanks for the feedback. I will have to double check it now.

Nick

Comment

I have a PT795... it is a good monitor. I have had a few problems though. The first one I bought was very screwed up, the horizontal image was bent, an uncorrectable problem. Now that I have my replacement, it is also bent, but much less. And it has a new problem the top left corner is a little out of wack. I didn't think it would be so hard to get a monitor that has true 90 deg, ture horizontal and true vertical images. The Viewsonic Pt795 is shitty.... unless this is just a crappy manufacturing mistake. I'll let you know if Viewsonic is able to correct this problem.

Comment

Hold the phone!!! Time for a little history on my monitors. I used to use a CTX VL700 and was very pleased with it. I would highly recommend a CTX to anyone (my other super-geek friend had great luck with one also). About 3 months ago, I deccided to step up to a 19" (wanted a 21, but, as a student and married with a kid, had to settle). I purchased a Sylvania F90 from Costco. Biggest POS I have ever owned. I went through 3 in as many months (the last one was a F91). Each one of them had a different manafacturers defect. The first made a loud popping noise intermittently which said to me that it was improperly sheilded and arcing internally. This would tend to shorten the life span of the monitor, I believe, so back it went. The second was fine for the first month and then it too started the popping, so back it went. The third had an interesting defect that should have been caught at the factory. The front bezzel (?? the square of plastic) and the physical line around the screen were out of allignment making a rather obtuse octagon. It was the most annoying screen I had ever used!!! It went back the next day. Which brings me to the present. To top it all off, all of the Sylvania's had distinct moire problems and the clarity was not good and there was divergence in the lowere right corner in all 3. Using my "stop sign" monitor, I decided to do some comparitive shopping on monitors. I found the Iiyama VisionMaster 450 (not pro) at a place called www.virtual-world.com for $425 with FREE SHIPPING. I called them waiting for the bait and switch or hidden costs but the didn't try to sell me anything else and sent my monitor FedEx 2 day free. The Iiyama was the monitor that I had wanted three months ago in the first place, but I simply couldn't afford it at the time. While I was screwing around with the Sylvania's, it came into my price range! I won't vouch for the place I ordered from, but they did right by me. Only problem was that the tracking # came after the monitor, but the monitor was on time. The Iiyama is a beautiful monitor. If you can spare the extra $$$ get the pro, it uses Mitsubishi's Natural Flat AG tube. But if you are on a limited budget, the vanilla 450 is a great monitor. It has BNC's but lacks a USB hub.

Sorry for the long windedness,
                        Area

P.S.--Don't try to go with a name that is new to the monitor biz for one of these larger monitors. I learned my lesson with that f****ing Sylvania. NEVER AGAIN.

Comment

Suad,

I would go for the ViewSonic G790 (I have one myself) its an excelent monitor with razor sharp text and briliant colour.
                          I run my desktop at 1280x1024 and it looks great

CNET did a review of 19" monitors the other week and they split the 'Editors Choice' between the VeiwSonic G790 and the Hitachi Superscan Elite 751.

Cheers
                          Alan

------------------
                          Celeron 366 @ 413, - A-Bit BH6, - 128M PC100, - Millenium G200, - SB Live, - ViewSonic 19", - IBM 6.4 H/D.

Pentium III 700@862; Abit BE6-II; 128M PC133; Matrox Millenium G400 MAX; 28Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM ATA66 H/D; 6.4Gb IBM H/D; SB Live; HP CDR-W; ViewSonic 19" monitor;

Comment

And if you want the sharpness and contrast of teh Hitachi but not the price try an ADI 6P - it uses the same CRT - great image!

I help my cousin occasionally with computer related repair work and the monitors seen most often at the shop, and the most troublesome, are Samsung. When they work they are a nice monitor but when they don't they really don't!

If you intend to do a lot of text based work at high resolutions (especially against very light backgrounds - white being the worst) you might want to pass on Trinitron based monitors. For general use, or graphics where color saturation and contrast are the prime requisite they are great but at higher resolutions text starts to "fuzz up" more than a standard type CRT. Additionally, the tensioning wire for the grill is also very visible on most Trinitrons when a very light background is used as a "shadow" line across the width of the screen. As I siad though - the color saturation and contrast can't be beat.

------------------
                            Dean
                            -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            PDP-11, Dec-writer & ZD-11 Terminal Unit, RSTS-OS

PDP-11, Dec-writer & ZD-11 Terminal Unit, RSTS-OS

Comment

Dudes!!!! ( and Dude-ettes!!!!)

You guys ROCK. Thanks for all the input.

~Saud

Comment

Working...
                              X