Voodoo 2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voodoo 2000

A friend of mine purchased a 2000. Not too impressive, better than a Banshee by far, but its like my sli combo. She's quick, but not pretty. Oh BTW, it is showing artifacts in Half-life opengl. It could just be a bad board. The G400 and TNT2 is looking better all the time.

Hi Andrew,
    It is not a bad board, from what I have been seeing. The OGL "ICD" for 3dfx sux rox. It is not fully functional, and has many bugs. Artifacts are just one of the many probs. The G200's upcoming ICD is lightyears better in terms of compatibility and quality.
    Matt

Comment

So crap, it's kinds rediculous...

Sorry, I've seen a few v3s running now, and yeah, they're quick, yeah, they get very hot, um the DVD acceleration feature - doesn't come with a DVD player, but the image quality is the same as the old voodoos.

Think about it. The Voodoo3 is a first generation card. All the Voodoo2 was, was a very fast voodoo1 with a few things doubled - same technology. The Voodoo3 is just a fast banshee, and all that was, was a fast voodoo2+2d core. So in essence we have a bloody quick voodoo1 which has a bit bolted on.

Sorry, but I have a thing against 3dfx. (Hmmm, now I hear the 'ooh I love Matrox' comments? No? We've grown up? Hurrah!) Heh heh

------------------
      Cheers,
      Steve
      It's Only A Graphics Card!
      (But a damn good 'un!)

Comment

The biggest failure for 3dfx was limiting the texture size to 256x256 ... it was okay a couple of years ago, but not nowadays.

Btw, I thought that ICD was a 'full' one ?!?

------------------
        Cheers,
        Maggi

Asus P2B-S @ 112MHz FSB * Celeron300A @ 504MHz
        Heavily boosted by the Millenium G400 32MB SGRAM DualHead

Comment

Yeah Maggi, full of crap....oops! The 3dfx ICD is not even close. It has support for a few games. It is on par with our Beta 1.
          Matt

Comment

good 'o Steve, make slanderous comments about Voodoo3 when I'm not around why don't ya!

Seriously though mate, if you're calling V3 a 1st generation board, I'm curious what you think G400 is? 5th? 6th maybe? it's a second generation chip, just like the rest of 'em. The G400 can do environmental bumpmapping which does set it appart, but one feature doesn't make it a generation ahead, or put all other chips a generation behind.

Voodoo3 ain't pretty, G200 was pretty, G400 prettier still, but Voodoo3 can pull off framerates that nothing can touch yet, and when it comes to 2D, how many cards do you know of that can do 1600x1200 @ 100Hz?

When NVidia's NV10 and 3dfx's Napalm hit the shelves with onboard geometry and 32bit everything, then we'll see where Matrox stands.

Marcus, it is a full ICD, but as the guy said, it's a beta, at least they're giving us something to run with! hehehe

Dave K - all stirred up after reading Manifests painfully long go at Matrox and Haig.

------------------
            Celeron 300A @ 464, BH6(KG), 128MB Corsair CAS2 PC100, Voodoo3 3000 (166), SBLive!Value, 4.3GB + 8.4GB Fireball CRs, 10Mb Netgear NIC, Internal ZIP100, Sidewinder Freestyle Pro
            Agent. Copyright © 1998-99 Agent. All rights reserved.

Comment

yep got a voodoo3 2000 becuase it was cheap and fast. its going to end up in my amd k6-2 350. but i see some bitmap distortion when i restart windows. it dosn't efect the desktop or any games but the opening windows logo looks like crap. reseting the system to normal clocking did not help either. (the 2000 card is not oc and never was.) hey coud it be a heat thing (no fan on 2000 and i never shut my system down.)

oh ta 3dfx is not fanominal g200 looks way better. but its my best option i think over the banshee card in that amd system right now.

still wishing i did not give my brother inlaw my g200 and....

------------------
              I spend way too much time and money on my 3 systems, and I can't spell worth a dam either

noel

[This message has been edited by merchant2 (edited 06-30-99).]

Comment

LOL

Excellent comment on the ICD, Agent

------------------
                Cheers,
                Maggi

Asus P2B-S @ 112MHz FSB * Celeron300A @ 504MHz
                Heavily boosted by the Millenium G400 32MB SGRAM DualHead

Comment

Hey I installed the Creative V2 drivers on my Diamond V2/12 and used this mini GL

We have enhanced our May 26th release of the Creative mini-GL driver by adding support for the high-resolution 512x512 pixel textures used by Quake III Test. The 3dfx Voodoo chipset family architecture does not support texture sizes greater than 256x256 in hardware. While support for higher resolution textures is available in more advanced chipsets such as the S3 (3D Blaster Savage 4) and NVIDIA TNT family (Graphics Blaster RIVA TNT and 3D Blaster RIVA TNT2 Ultra), cards based on the Voodoo family of chipsets are forced to down-sample these high-resolution textures to fit within the 256x256 limitation. We have engineered our mini-GL driver to introduce a technique* that brings support for 512x512 textures to the Creative Voodoo family of cards. This unique enhancement is not available with any other Voodoo OpenGL driver. You will see the benefits of this feature throughout the game by moving the texture detail slider to the high end in the Quake III Test graphics options menu before entering an arena. Also, the quality of the text in the main menu (a 512x512 texture) is enhanced.

You will be surprised how much better it is!

http://www.soundblaster.com/graphics/voodoo2/gldriver.html
                  Give it a try it work for me

Comment

hahaha, 512x512 on Voodoo? me thinks not... scaling textures, or should I say, resizing textures in the drivers is a slow way of going about things, I should think you'd see a fair ol' performance hit with that feature.

Maggi, what voltage are you running that Celery at to sqeeze 504 out of it? (I asked in another thread, but I dunno if you saw it)

Agent. Copyright © 1998-99 Agent. All rights reserved.

Comment

Working...
                    X