Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 and Abit BP6??

Hi!

Abit has released a new dual socket 370 Celeron board called BP6. Knowing that the performance of the G400 is CPU dependant how do you reckon it would do in a dual 300A OC'ed to 450 system?

You think Q3 with it's multithread tech would fly or grind to a halt? How about DTP, rendering etc?

Jake
    Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
    ----------------------
    Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Should be a runner

------------------
    Cheers,
    Maggi

Asus P2B-S @ 112MHz FSB * Celeron300A @ 504MHz
    Heavily boosted by the Millenium G400 32MB SGRAM DualHead

Comment

Yeah! I think I will put that one on my wish list. Here goes:

G400 MAX (first choice).
      Abit BP6 with DUAL 450 Mhz power.
      Tekram or Adaptec U2W SCSI adapter.
      9.1 GB 10.000 RPM SCSI LVD HDD. (mmmmmhhh)
      Sony 19" 400-something (I forget) monitor.
      New noise proof tower. (made by a German company) Supercool!

Jake
      Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
      ----------------------
      Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Comment

Don't forget to use WinNT for multi-processing ... no go in W98 ...

and what bugs me with Sony are the two unavoidable dark lines on the tube ...
        already thought about CTX ? - fair price and pretty good picture.

------------------
        Cheers,
        Maggi

Comment

I personally prefer two black lines in Trinitrons over 1000+ black lines appearing in delta/inline CRTs

Comment

Hi Greg,

that one was too high (technical) for me ...

could you please explain it a bit ?

------------------
            Cheers,
            Maggi

Comment

It surely sounds very promising, but without proper software support, it means nothing.

Think about the aging NT, the unsure W2000, the questionable G400 NT driver and the even more questionable Gx00 NT ICD...

I already had a dual PII system and G200+SBLive, both gave me enough headache for their driver support in NT. Now NT has gone and so did one CPU. I will wait until the software catch up the hardware.

But BP6 sounds very good, for the low cost one CPUs. Don't even forget about the ATA66 ports. A 7200rpm ATA66 driver sounds good enough for BP6, instead of a more costly 10000rpm SCSI...

BTW, I disagree with gbm. We have a 17" CTX Trinitron and a 17" ViewSonic. Both .25mm. it is the Trinitron with two dark lines AND "over 1000+ black lines".

Nick

Comment

Jake - you forgot a sound card! Hows about an SBLive! if you can live with some problems with... well, just about any decent games! What about NT support for sound cards?

Here's a question:

Is there a converter to allow Slot1 CPU's to use a Socket370 mobo? Would there be chipset issues? Could we then have upgradability to dual-PIII when the price comes down? Dreeeeeeam.

Yours droolingly,

Tim

Comment

TheMorg,

Open your eyes! Intel will release Socket370 PIII's. Slot1 PIII's will disappear!

Update your database first.

Yes, not a dream.

Nick

[This message has been edited by Nick2k (edited 06-30-99).]

Comment

Sorry Nick - I can't have my ear close enough to the ground. At 6ft 8ins this can be a problem.

How can I best keep up-to-date with all these developments? I primarily use Maggi's forums.murc.ws for news, which I think is great. Any others I should check out in additions, to keep my horizons broad?

Comment

TheMorg,

Oops...

Sorry about my words.

You are right. This forum is (should be) more about matrox cards after all. I learnt many things from other sites. I use to go to www.tomshardware.com (I know someone will blame for that), and many others that happen to have computer news.

But I like this forum the most.

Nick

Comment

I alos browse agnhardware and anandtech from time-to-time. How do y'all rate these sites? Informative? Impartial? Accurate? Are there better choices out there?

Official Apology to Flangor:

Sorry Flangor - I credited Maggi with your excellent forums.murc.ws site, although I now gather you're leaving us. Sorry to see you go. Oh, and Thanks For The Fish.

Tim

Comment

I ordered an Abit BP6 w/ 2 400MHz Celerons on Monday. If Matrox would like to contribute a G400 Max for testing, I'd be happy to let you know how well it works ;-)

Comment

Working...
                          X