X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 MAX review at Tom's hardware

Just visited Tom's hardware site and found this one:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/releases/99q2/990628/index.html

Pretty interesting. It points out some shortcoming of G400 like the immature OpenGL ICD and the 16bit Z-buffer. Go take a look.

Jason

Leave it to Tommy boy to harp on Q2 scores for 2 pages At least he mentioned the fact that they are early drivers. For an indication of where the drivers are heading, my P2-350(412) scores very close (some better) to the P3-550 in all of the Q2 benches I've run. On a regular G400, no less 32bit z-buffer has also been enabled in several of the builds I've used, and it did not affect the benchmarks, as Tom would have us beleive.

He did say a lot of favorable things, as well. Looks like he really likes the visuals and dual head. He had high praise for the D3D performance, and showed how it stomps all in that arena.

As usual, I think he used most of the article to promote his #1 sponsor (nvida). Even while complimenting how great the bumpmapping of G400 is, he managed to plug the TnT2. Well, someone who knows what they want in a card will be able to see the info they need.

I just wanna know why I didn't get one of those coffee cups

------------------
    P2-350(@103*4=412), Asus P2B(1009), 128meg PC100, MillG400 32meg(PD5.20.???), CL SB Live!Value, CL PC-DVD, Mitsumi CD-R, WD UDMA 8.4&6.4 gig, (2)USR 56k(multilinked), 3Com 905B-TX, etc...

Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Me too.

Joel
      Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
      Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Hey! Tom is using my Monitor I have at home! I love my monitor. After reading Tom's review and Kruzin's comment about the GL scores, I am very much looking forward to getting my MAX!

Dave
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

hey notice how the monitors aren't set up in those pics (size and position) for the res he's at, and dam can we order the mugs and wait 4 weeks for shiping ? maybe we can get matrox mugs for haveing to wait so long for g200 drivers.

ya right.

------------------
          i spend way too much time and money on my 3 systems.

[This message has been edited by merchant2 (edited 06-28-99).]

Comment

Seems to me that Tommy was pouting about the G400 beating the TNT2. O, 'This chart is pretty clear cut in showing the G400 MAX in the commanding lead. The G400 MAX takes advantage of the efficient 32-bit color/16bit Z-buffer mode and speeds past the TNT2 (that is held back by the 32-bit color/32-bit Z-buffer mode)'. Well maybe if Tom decided to use the latest drives that supported the 32-bit zbuffer that wouldn't be a problem. Then again, by word of mouth from the beta testers and Ant, the G400's performance increases significantly with the new drivers. So then the G400 would really make the TNT2 look bad. Ooops, wasn't supposed to point that one out >:-> .

Dan
            Less filling, tastes great
            System Specs...
            MSI MS-6309->Bios:1.3 Drivers:VIA AGP v4.03
            Intel PentiumIII 667MHz
            192MB PC100 SDRAM (1x128 Siemens & 1x64 Micron)
            Matrox MillG400MAX->Bios:1.6 Drivers:PD5.52
            Diamond MX300->Drivers: Aureal Reference 2048
            USR 56k ISA Modem
            Adaptec 2930c SCSI Host Adapter
            Imation 8x20 CD-R
            Imation LS-120
            Kenwood 72x TrueX CD-ROM
            WD 8.4G HDD (Win98) WD 6.4G HDD (BeOS 4.5.2)

Comment

It's also nice to see the compairison of the different bump mapping methods between the G400 and TNT2. The TNT2 certainly looks tacky.

Comment

It`s not just what he said and how his article was structured (compare it with the TNT2-article !). Also remarkable is his diction. Lets call it the nVidia-diction.

Greetings

MK
                <font size="1">
                Celeron II 700 @ 1,1 GHz
                ASUS CUSL2-C, Bios 1009 final
                Alpha 6035MFC, 60 -> 80mm adapter
                2 x 80mm Papst Cooler 19/12dB
                256 MB PC133 Crucial 7E (CAS2)
                Maxtor Diamond MAX VL40
                ATI Radeon 8500 64MB @ Catalyst 3.0
                Hauppauge WinTV TV-Card
                Iiyama Vision Master Pro 400
                Plustek Optic Pro U12B
                HP Deskjet 959C
                Plantronics LS1 Headset
                all on W2k Professional SP2
                </font>

Comment

I can't believe that there was any respect in the first place.

And I certainly don't want to drink from the same mug as Tommy boy.

Comment

well i dont like the way at first he says their are no 32bit z problems in d3d yet continuously bashes it for not having 32bit z in d3d....and ogl but thats a different story! 32 bit z does work in d3d so i emailed him and told him to change it....i think he was using a "trick" as he would say to make his sponsor's tnt2 sound better!

------------------
                    im getting a dual socket 370 motherboard with 366mhz celerons running at 550, 128mb ram, dvd-rom.....all i need now is a g400 max!

Comment

Since you're all bashing on tom, you might want to look at that article again. Tom didn't write it. It was by two other people, someone new I'm guessing since I haven't seen their names before. And actually, I didn't see anything in the article that bad. In fact, it points out that the 16 bit z buffer may actually give a performance increase.

Comment

BTW, that everyone here, including some of the beta testers, could miss something that obvious doesn't exactly give me a warm fuzzy as far as the quality to expect in future drivers. I know return you to your regularly scheduled squabbling.

Comment

Tom Pabst got me addicted to computers way back when. I think that THW is no different than any other major review site. He just put up that stupid gif that got him in the hot water that he is in now.There is a lot of $$ in this biz so you cant really trust anyone but the posts on good BBS and your own expirence. I wish that Matrox would supply the major review sites with these "Improved" drivers. I think that the card will do well.
                          I bashed the hell out of him and Matrox on my site yesterday then took down most of it today. It really is no big deal.

Comment

Looks like old Tommy boy was benchmarking the G400 Max against overclocked TNT2 Ultra which is no way a fair comparison.

I totaly lost all respect for that guy.

Regards,
                            Elie

Comment

You've only just lost all respect?

------------------
                              Cheers,
                              Steve
                              It's Only A Graphics Card!
                              (But a damn good 'un!)

Comment

Working...