Wating for the MAX sure is...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wating for the MAX sure is...

Painful. I hope the ETA of 7/7 is right. If not, then exactly what is the problem? Anyone know? Is it the hardware or drivers? If it is hardware, I guess I can wait since I don't want any faulty hardware. But if it is the drivers, then I wish they would release the card already. The drivers that are pressed on the CD are older than the ones the beta testers have right? So we would have to download drivers anyway when we get the card. From what Kruzin or the other beta testers say, the performance on the lower res are a lot better already. That is good enough for me. Matrox could continue updating the drivers every few weeks or months to show us that what happened to the G200 will not happen again with the G400s. Hey, we could maybe do a benchmark every time new drivers come out like those TNT/TNT2 guys! LOL

This is speculation, but a few OEM G400's (not the MAX) have already started circulating, so the chances of it being driver-related are slim. It's more likely to be something to do with unexpected yield problems for G400 chips capable of running at the MAX's higher clock speed. Either that or similar problems getting faster-rated RAMDACs.

The thing is, Matrox are unlikely to disclose such information intentionally, because even the slightest whisper of technical hitches in the Video Card Wars is generally accepted as A Bad Thing.

So you'll have to live with it either way! Still, at least we hear that the latest beta drivers are improved. The testers can't tell us much/any more than that.

Hope this idle speculation helps.

I don't usually post when I don't _know_ the anser, but I'm bored, see? I've been waiting for a database to reload for the best part of 4 hours now. Yaaaaawn.

Bored Tim.

Comment

Yeah, I seen a couple of those OEM G400s on Ebay and boy are they a rip off. It seems to me that not only Matrox have problems with higher yield chips. Didn't 3dfx have problems like that too? That why the V3 3500 is delayed right? YOu are right that the slightest whisper of technical hitches in the video card wars is a bad thing. But it doesn't look all that good by them delaying it too. Just about every review done so far criticizes the Open GL on the G400. Not every person looking for a G400 comes here so they don't know about the beta testers and all. I hope they really try to make the next earliest ETA. I don't want them to become the Westwood Studios of the Video Card scene.
      Have fun waiting for that database man.

Comment

Working...
      X