ie5 freezes and locks up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ie5 freezes and locks up

I am running windows98 on PII system and G200 video card with the latest drivers 4.51. Sometimes when accessing some websites, ie5 freezes and locks up the system and I have to reboot. The resolution is set at 1024x768 and 16bit color.This problem also happened with ie4. I do not experience this freezing problem with netscape navigator. Is this problem related to the g200 video card or its drivers? has anyone experienced this same problem? all suggestions are welcomed and thanks in advance.

are you over clocking your system?? i had a similar problem in my oc system, ie 5 + 4 would lock and i'd have to reboot. the problem went away after i rased my cpu voltage .1 before rasieing the voltage every thing was stable i only got ie lockups on a few net pages. if you dont have an oc system are you running an amd k6-2 350 and revsion 2 fic pa 2013 main board? ie 5 would lock up on that too. but 4.1 and 4.2 (service pack for ie 4) were fine.

prior to resloveing the ie lockup and voltage issuee i had run 3dmark max 6 hour loop final reality 4 hour loop played halflife for 3 hours (went to sleep dead tired ) then took to the web with ie (lock ups and net scape no lockups. for the heck of it i rasised the voltage on my 300a from 2.2 to 2.3 and ie lockups vanished.
    ------------------
    i spend way too much time and money on my 3 systems.

[This message has been edited by merchant2 (edited 06-29-99).]

[This message has been edited by merchant2 (edited 06-29-99).]

Comment

If you have a 8Mb G200 change the resolution to 32bit. That will solve everything. Then the G200 can not use triple buffer which causes the problems.

Comment

Same problems and I discovered 2 cures,by disabling busmastering in matrox quickdesk-settings-advanced,was a cure,but thanks to SteveC,who suspected macromedia shockwave,as a possible source,I did the following;go on line to a safe site,in ie5,click on tools-internet options-advanced,scroll down until you find the section multimedia.Disable all ie.show pictures play sounds,etc.Now go to the site giving you problems(at this point you should be able to access it.)1 by 1 re-enable the multimedia events if the system freezes on one of them,then this is the culprit.However, on my system,all checked out o.k.and I have not had a problem since.It is interesting to note that this seems to effect all type systems,mine being an amd k6-2.Somehow by doing what I have suggested,the system seems to reconfigure itself.I'm sure there are those that could give a far more advanced reason for the whys and wherefores,but all I know, it worked for me and hope it works for you.Get back and let me know.
        P.S.If you follow the 2nd method,there is no reason to disable busmastering.O.K.

Comment

Working...
        X