No announcement yet.

Should I order the G400MAX now or wait?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I order the G400MAX now or wait?

I'm definitely getting the G400MAX. I can't think of any reall good reason not to oder one now except for the following:

1. Price(I'm not to concerned with price)
    2. Everyone has so called beta drivers and beta cards as opposed to the real thing.

So, knowing this, I can't think of any other reason not to pre-order from Matrox. I've read some folks stories aobut there status, but please fill me in again about your current order status and what matrox is saying. also, I'm looking for any other opinions that want to be thrown my way.

Thanks,

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Not that this will make me a popular guy, but the only other thing that could hold you back is time. When will the cards be available? Who knows? I dare say Matrox doesn't even know, the way they keep putting us off.

As the day of the G400MAX approaches we must all find strength in each other to make it through these hard times. We may be tempted by the devil: the evil TNT2 Ultra, and the dark overlord voodoo3. Fear not, by the power of MURC we will all one day be proud G400 owners. So let us join hands in this, our hour of need. SteveC, kruzin, maggie, Ant, everyone!. May the power of MURC be with us.

I should have been a priest, but that sex thing was too much to give up.

-neo

------------------
    Asus P2B-F, 496MHZ Pentium II (4x124!!), Global Win VEK12 hs/fan, 128MB Micron PC133, Maxtor 4GB, SB AWE 32, Creative DVD 2x, Mitsumi CDR 2x/8x, Sony Trinitron 17", Old Matrox Video Card, and a redhead with a pair of 36Cs (O/Ced to 38Cs)

[This message has been edited by neo (edited 06-25-99).]

Comment

Hey Hele,
      If you haven't already ordered a card you might want to hold off and just keep an eye on your local Comp USA or Best Buy stores. They are Matrox's tier1 retail customers and will be the first to receive cards. The only problem with this is that these stores will be charging the full retail price. I have a feeling that the G400's may be on the shelves next week and I'm going to have a tough time keeping myself from buying one. I've ordered one from Matrox but will probably see them at Comp USA or Best Buy before Matrox ships mine.

Paul
      "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I don't know about you Paul, but if the MAX appears in the stores before I get mine from Matrox, I'll buy it anyway! I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to sell the extra one when it finally comes.

I love your post, neo! Trying to resist...so hard...
        Mark Veneziano

Comment

ALPBM,

I know that people talk about tier1 resellers etc..., but I live in the Bay Area and believe me when I tell you that there are plenty of stores around here that will have the G400's just as soon as the bigger stores. If the G400's pop up in CompUSA, I guarantee you that I will go down to the local mom and pop shop and pick it up for 50.00 cheaper. My only concern is that if I dont preorder from Matrox, it will be a while before I get it because of the limited quantity.

Dave
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I have seen many cases where Best Buy sold cards for below the retail price. When the Viper V770 Ultra TNT2 first hit their shelves, it was priced at $169.99. I didn't see any sale tag on it, so I'm assuming that was the normal price. That is well below retail, isn't it?

I really hope that the MAX doesn't sit on the Best Buy shelves at $250. If it does, it can keep sitting as far as I'm concerned. CompUSA on the other hand ALWAYS seems to sell at the retail price.

Comment

ever notice that when compusa has a sale they
              never seem to have that item, but they have the more expensive version. i hate compusa. and thire tech people suck too.

------------------
              I spend way too much time and money on my 3 systems.

[This message has been edited by merchant2 (edited 06-26-99).]

[This message has been edited by merchant2 (edited 06-26-99).]

Comment

CompUSA here is only doing pre-orders at $279. I was curious and called them this morning. Might as well order from matrox. Or settle for the OEM and find it on the net.

Comment

Are Best Buy the american equivalent of our (UK) simply computers, and CompUSA our equivalent of PCWorld? Anyone?

------------------
                  Cheers,
                  Steve

It's Only A Graphics Card!

Comment

I got a little story for you merchant2. A friend of mine was looking for a fan for his video card at Compusa. When the salesman showed him where they were the guy told him you'll need to get some velcro to hold in on there. Man if i was there at the time I would have busted out laughing.

------------------
                    The Recoiler

Comment

SteveC,
                      Best buy sells computers like compaq and hp
                      and also sells software.In addition they
                      sell music cds,tvs,cameras,videos and car
                      stereos,etc. Comp usa sells computers and
                      related products only.IMHO neither has a
                      very good selection or satisfactory tech support but they do usually have reasonable prices for games.For sound and video cards,etc. the internet wins hands down.
                      Steve

[This message has been edited by surferpop (edited 06-27-99).]

[This message has been edited by surferpop (edited 06-27-99).]

Comment

WTF - If I see a MAX or plain G400 on the shelf here I will probably buy it even though I have ordered a MAX from Matrox. After all I do have two systems at home and can get rid of the G200 easily.

Just remember, a card in the hand is worth more than one on order

So, as soon as any of you guys see them on the shelf somewhere, let the rest of us know.

Paul
                        "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Well, I haven't heard anyone give me a good enough reason NOT to order the MAX, so what the hell, I'll do it.

Dave

Comment

ok, I ordered it. WOOHOO! One of these days I'll have it...As with everyone else, I'll keep you posted.

Dave

Comment

Hi Steve,

Best Buy is a little like Comet over here (was in one in Las vegas and Boston).
                              Circuit City is just like PC World over here (Been to one in Orlando).

There is nothing like Fry's Electronics over here - Spent the afternoon in the LA one till I got dragged out by the missus - what a place! The best reason for visiting the West Coast US of A.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X